Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Postby cjareck » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:51 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:What a pleasure to hear you speak. So few members here, especially those whose native language is not English, have given us a sample of their speech. To hear you talk is motivational. Polish and English are rather different, yet you make yourself clear and understandable. Not necesarily with a perfect accent, but it makes me think a bit of certain European film actors who have succeeded in American movies. Keep 'em coming.

Thank you very much! I am currently working on some actual military history material. It is challenging and stressful, so my English will probably be worse than in the intro. Nevertheless, I hope to do better with time.

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Cjareck, I just subscribed to your channel. :)

Hebrew
I had my regular LE yesterday. I've helped my LEP by reading letters of Jews from the war period, which were written in German. I translated directly or summarized in Hebrew what I read in German. It was enjoyable, especially since I could do it without thinking in Polish. I did it, of course, only with basic vocabulary and lots of "yyy" and other similar things, but my LEP understood what I was talking about. Only in some cases Polish words or short phrases were necessary. A few times, instead of saying everything in Hebrew, I included some terms in German ;)
8 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:00 pm

English
I struggled with the recording a lot but finally managed to do it. Thanks to my experience with my Polish YT Channel, I thought I could handle stress. I was wrong! The audience is broader, and the language is foreign. That worsened my appearance significantly. But, hopefully, it will be better next time.

Arabic
I slowly reviewed Anki and started understanding basic words in native content. But the way ahead is quite a long one ;)

Mandarin
I don't push much with Mandarin due to a lack of time. But I've bought a paper model of Chinese aircraft, and decided to learn the words like "fighter", "bomber" and so on :)

Hebrew
Hebrew also suffers due to lack of time. I limit myself to Anki and LE only.
10 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:50 am

Most probably, it will be a short update, but I don't want to disappear for a long time again ;)

Hebrew
I read handwritten notes about the "Sela" plan - the defense of Sinai before the Yom Kippur War. The content isn't that complicated. I expected some accurate information, but it is about the axis of movement, hills, and so on. Nevertheless, I will surely use it once. The text's vocabulary is limited, so I started reading whole words instead of deciphering the single letters. It not only gave me a lot of satisfaction but also improved my ability to read that script.

Arabic
I like the language and am happy to have regular conversations with LEP. However, my level is deficient. I've listened to general Saad Shazzly only to recognize single words here and there. So there is a long way ahead!

Mandarin
I limit myself to Anki reviews. Hopefully, when I have more time (Holidays!) I will add some activities. The problem is that I got bored with the Assimil course.
10 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:14 pm

English
I prepared more than half of a script for my next movie, but I had to suspend work due to other, primarily academic activities. I hope to record it next weekend. I had to develop my English to a fully conversational level and be able to hold a speech freely. Perhaps uploading films on my Channel will help me reach that goal. I even have a secret plan for that ;) If I upload enough material, I can prepare lectures on them and apply them to teach military history in English to international students at my University. It is a long-term project that may be too hard for me.

Hebrew
I read "Pkudat Sela," which is archive material concerning the plan to defend Sinai in 1973. The first part is about the terrain; the vocabulary is limited, so I handle it very well to the point that I focus on words, not single letters.
I also made flashcards based on the podcast about the 188th Armored Brigade. I'm about in half of it. So perhaps next year I will finish it ;)
During my last LE, I had some translations of German -> Hebrew, which was quite a challenge but also enormous fun for me.

Arabic
I finished the 27th lesson of DLI and started adding the 28th. It will surely take some time, perhaps next weekend I will be ready with that.

Mandarin
I wanted to rush forward with a reader I have, but still, there is a problem with the time, and Mandarin usually pays the price. The other reason is that I have enough of Assimil. I put it aside some time ago, and I still can't take it back. It annoyed me by not translating xiangsheng into a comic show (once translated and in the other cases, it isn't) or giving six characters in the sentence to introduce the names of famous(?) comics. It wasn't that stupid as naming all 12 animals symbolizing Chinese zodiac in a row, but not much clever either ;)
6 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:34 pm

English
Unfortunately not much besides reading this forum ;)

Hebrew
I started working on an article about the Israeli artillery in the Golan Heights during the Yom Kippur War. So, I started listening to veterans, and I'm pretty happy with my understanding. I even figured out the shortcuts one of them used, like "masal" -> "mefaked solela" (battery commander). I, of course, made flashcards in all such cases :)

Arabic
I had a LE on Friday, and we took Free Oral Expressions from the DLI handbook. It went pretty well. Unfortunately, I didn't do much besides reviewing flashcards.

Mandarin
I've finally found the Energy to add flashcards from the new Assimil lesson! Luckily for me, the lesson is reasonable, so it encourages me to continue with Assimil.
7 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:17 pm

It's been a looooong time since my last post. First, it was summer vacation, and later hard work with some b.a. thesis that my students wrote. Later I feared I would not catch up with the topics I followed. I found an Ockham solution - I've marked all notifications as read. So I'm back :D

I studied regularly all my languages, and I'm not going to add anything new next year. I'm going to start the 365 Challenge, and I have the same dilemma as last year - should I choose - MSA or Mandarin? I already know that choosing both is a wrong decision. My heart says Mandarin, but I have some significant arguments for MSA:
- I need it for my Yom Kippur War Project since I can use Hebrew quite well already, and I need the language of the Enemy
- I feel I am close to understanding it, and it seems that listening to Al-Jazeera could be profitable during the year
- I have been learning it for a long time, and it should yield positive results finally

I also had to stop working on my English YT channel. I hope to return to it soon, especially since I've got better equipment and practiced some things on my Polish one. By the way, I've got more than 1500 subscribers there ;)

I hope to report weekly now!
24 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:16 pm

Good to see you here again!
7 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

vegantraveller
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (C2), French (C2), German (B2-C1), Japanese (B2), Spanish (B2-B1), Swedish (B1). Just started: Icelandic, Romanian, Occitan/Provençal.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16482

Postby vegantraveller » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:16 pm

I’m happy to read about you, I was browsing for your news!
2 x
I'm a man from Italy, not an owl from Japan :mrgreen:

Please correct my errors!

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:17 am

Short report about language learning during last week:
MSA
I've added Flashcards of the 29th DLI MSA Basic Course lesson. Now I have "only" to review it ;)
Besides that, I've made only reviews of the flashcards.

Mandarin
I've finished adding flashcards for the 7th lesson of Assimil's course (active phase). I'm slowly going through the "Hanping Chinese HSK" deck - it has 20 001 flashcards with 15 200 still unseen. It will take a few years to finish...

Hebrew
I was using Hebrew more than learning it. Currently, I struggle with the "Rock" Plan - a defensive* plan prepared before the Yom Kippur War. It is available for download, and I translate it into Polish since it will be an attachment to the book that my fellow researchers will publish soon. There is not much vocabulary, but the language is military-oriented and full of various shortcuts that I've added to my Hebrew deck, by the way ;)
I also have regular LEs that I hope to continue.

* well, there is probably more about counterattacks than the defense...

My goals for 2023
MSA
I'm going to push forward with MSA. I'm impressed with my results with Hebrew during the 365 Challenge. I wasted that opportunity in 2022 by trying to go with Arabic and Mandarin. I feel that putting some effort into MSA may yield visible results and allow me to use the language.
I will go with my ESKK language course and DLI MSA Basic Course. I will probably watch some Al-Jazeera live and maybe add some GLOSS lessons later.
I hope to reach the 50th lesson in DLI and 30 with ESKK.

Mandarin
I've ordered quite a considerable amount of military-history books in Mandarin (they are still on their way to me), so I will have to go with the language. An optimistic goal would be to finish the Assimil course in 2023. It is about 1 lesson per week, so not that much.
I also hope to work with the LWT and Chinese Prestudy in Anki to go through the tables of contents of those books.

Hebrew
I plan to use the language and continue my LEs. Maybe I will try to read my first book in Hebrew, but I don't know if there will be time for that.
13 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:12 am

My hat is always off to you for learning two tough languages, Hebrew and Arabic (not to mention English ;) ), and putting them to practical use. And I look forward to your resuming your video posts. :)
5 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Language logs”