Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Postby cjareck » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:14 pm

Time goes quickly, and I almost missed the weekly update ;)
I had to check my students' tests. It was a very disappointing activity. The online test resulted in many Wikipedia quotes... Hopefully, next year it will be normal so that the results will be more natural.
I also spoke with the editor of my book about the battle of the Marne. He was very unhappy with my style and my translations of the German military regulations. Well, I picked him because he is extremely thorough. Nevertheless, it is not easy to hear that your work is poorly done when you were proud of it earlier ;)

do20czerwca21.png

Mandarin
I made scans for the two next Assimil lessons, but didn't start adding them. I've found an interesting channel to learn Mandarin:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsNTRu ... McJGrZX8ZQ it is an Italki teacher. His movie on pronunciation was extremely interesting for me:

Currently, I'm not going to focus on Mandarin, but I watch some youtube materials from time to time.

Arabic
I decided to go through DLI. Therefore, I hope to finish the 19th lesson this week. However, adding material for the 20th lesson may take more time since I decided to add some sentences from Presentation Drills to ARA <-> PL translation flashcards.
Lesson 19th has an exercise on changing feminine singular into feminine plural, which basically means a shift of the accent and making other vowels longer. I figured out that my flashcards for Mandarine tone recognition are perfect for differentiation practice of that :)

Hebrew
Still 30 minutes daily minimum. Nevertheless, my focus sometimes was limited. I also had not much time for adding the vocabulary that should be my main field of study.
Hbw13-19VI21.png

I will have a lecture on Jom Kippur War (in Polish) on my Faculty Facebook page. I will not speak Hebrew, but the ability to prepare such a speech is one of the results of the hours spent on language learning ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
13 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:39 am

I was busy recently and skipped the last week's update. I decided not to do it again ;)

My book on the battle of the Marne is in the edition phase. Currently, I am finishing dealing with the last editor's remarks. Book is scheduled for the 15th September: https://www.swiatksiazki.pl/marna-1914- ... iazka.html
I am impatiently waiting for the cover of the book. I asked for a picture with the Prussian Guard attacking with bayonets. We'll see :)

Nevertheless, from a linguistic point of view, it wasn't time wasted also.

Czerwiec21.png

Hebrew
I managed to meet the 365 Challenge requirements, due to a combination of Anki, Ran Levi's podcasts, and interviews with Veterans. I had to increase the amount of time spent on adding vocabulary.
Hbw20-26VI21.png

I should take the ODA test for the Hebrew, but I fear that the results will not be satisfying for me, so I don't rush to do it. Lack of time is a very convenient excuse ;)

Mandarin
I've managed to add the 40th lesson to Anki, but I need to listen to it a few times and review the cards. Hopefully, I will finish it this week.

Arabic
I feel like I am making the most progress with Arabic. I've finished 19th DLI's lesson, added the flashcards for the 20th, and even started reviewing them. I found an excellent exercise for the attached pronouns that goes like that:
"She returned, husband" - and I have to say: "She returned with her husband."
I need to add the declined noun with an attached pronoun according to the conjugation of the verb. It really helps!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
10 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:42 pm

My family left, and I am home alone for the week, so I hope to push forward as well with my academic work as with the languages. I don't want to waste that time since it is difficult both for my wife that has to deal with the children alone, and for me because I miss them already...

Hebrew
I've got bored by Podcasts, so I switched to listening to the radio. It is slightly more challenging because I don't know the topic, and I hear everything for the first time. Of course, my level of comprehension is accordingly lower.
Hbw4-11VII21.png

Mandarin
I've added the 41st lesson of the Assimil course that I hope to review this week.

Arabic
I hope to finish the 20th lesson in the next few days. If everything goes well, I hope to start adding the 21st lesson before the next update.
9 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:06 pm

I think I didn't waste my "home alone" time. I've almost finished the article about the battle of Limanowa-Łapanów and I hope that my coauthor will deal with it. I also started working on my text about the intelligence war before the Yom Kippur War. I hope and I have to finish it soon. Wednesday is DEADline ;)
I also spent some time on language learning!

Mandarin
Here I've finished the 41st Assimil's lesson and even prepared audio for the 42nd that is a review one. so a bit more complicated than a casual one. I hope to finish it this week.

Arabic
I've not only finished 20th DLI MSA Basic Course lesson but also started adding 21st. I've added and even reviewed flashcards from Grammatical Notes and Presentation Drills that don't have audio. I also prepared audio for the Pattern Drills and I hope to start adding them in the second half of the week.

Hebrew
Hbw12-17VII21.png

I hope to return to adding vocabulary in the second part of the week since listening to the radio or to veteran's interviews may train my ears but will not teach me new words that I actually need the most.
12 x

lingzz_langzz
Yellow Belt
Languages: N: Polish, C: English, Spanish, Hungarian, Catalan, B: Italian, Turkish, A: Czech
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14260

Postby lingzz_langzz » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:09 am

I'm curious, what do you think about Assimil for Chinese? Is it enough? Or you're using other resources as well?
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:09 am

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with it, partially due to small but annoying differences between the printed and recorded versions. It has happened only 4-5 times so far, but for example the lector said "airen," but in the text, there was another hanzi and even an explanation that "airen" is too old. The other reason maybe because I don't learn long enough to benefit from the course. I have to write an article about the Chinese Civil War in August, so I will most probably increase the time amount for Mandarin. The third thing is that a lot of vocabulary in Assimil's course is unnecessary for me.
I even bought a "Chinese script" that introduces all the hanzi used in the corresponding lesson of the main course and gives the traditional version and stroke order for the simplified one. Nothing that I couldn't achieve by googling the Internet.
I am also using Hanping Chinese Anki deck ordered by HSK levels, and I find there quite a lot of hanzi introduced by Assimil. So there surely is some logic behind the course :) As far as I remember, they said that they had introduced all the syllables in the first lessons so you can master their pronunciation.

Because of that, I've found some other resources like:
- https://www.yojik.eu/languages/DLI/DLI- ... darin.html - DLI Mandarin Basic Course and the Flamric Reader from there
- https://www.livelingua.com/course/dli/c ... ric_course -the Flamric course that seems even better, but I don't have time for serious learning now.

So to summarize, I don't regret buying the course (except for the hanzi book), and I plan to finish it, but I'm not that much impressed ;)
8 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:59 am

Today is one year since my surgery! Time goes quickly... I've decided to treat this day as my other birthday. Tomorrow I go to the oncologist. The results I have, are optimistic. He will probably order a computer tomography.

I'm a little late with my log due to work on my articles. Luckily, I've finished them both! I can work on something else without that much stress :)

Hebrew
I've managed to fulfill the necessary conditions for the 365 Challenge. I limited myself to Anki + listening time. Only yesterday, I've started adding vocabulary from the podcast about 188th Brigade that I hope to keep up regularly now. While listing Yom Kipur Veterans, I can identify the gist of the interviews or even follow the story for a short time, especially when I know the background well. As stated in Mack's log it would be 3rd level of comprehension.
Hbw18-24VII21.png

Mandarin
I limited myself to reviewing Anki, but managed to increase slowly the number of Hanping Chinese deck cards being used. Hopefully, this week, I will add something new from Assimil :)

Arabic
With MSA, I was able to review flashcards and add some new ones from the 21st DLI lesson. There is a slight possibility that this week I will finish working on it.
13 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:06 am

So, July is over! It went quite quickly, I must say! It wasn't a that bad month. I managed to spend quite a lot of time on language learning as well as on academic activities.

July21.png

Mandarin
I've started adding flashcards from the 42nd lesson of Assimil. I hope to finish it in the next few days.

Arabic
I finished adding flashcards from the 21st DLI lesson, but I didn't manage to review them - there are 80 cards due. I hope to review them in the next 2-3 days since mostly they are rather simple drills.

Hebrew
I still didn't manage to spend the time necessary on adding vocabulary or working with LWT, but each day I spent at least 30 minutes on Hebrew, mostly listening activities.
Hbw25-31VII21.png

My LEP asked me to skip our LE last week, so I didn't have one. I hope for the next week!
9 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:33 am

It was quite an average week that passed relatively quickly. I wasn't active in my academic field, but my language learning was quite normal.

Hebrew
This time I had my language exchange that went very good as usual :) Besides that, I managed to spend some time adding vocabulary that should be my main activity, because I want to learn the whole podcast about 188th Brigade. It is mainly connected with war and should be helpful for me in the future.
hbw1-7VIII21.png

I hope to keep up this way as long as possible since listing practice is not that useful without increasing vocabulary.

Arabic
I've added all the drills that aren't recorded on the mp3. I hope to work through the file in the next two weeks. Currently, working with the DLI MSA Basic Course seems to be my favorite language learning activity!

Mandarin
I've managed to add all the vocabulary and sentences from the 42nd lesson of Assimil. I hope to review them and also read the lesson a few times this week. I have to finish the first part of the course before the academic year starts. Otherwise, I will probably lose motivation for the Assimil's course and the language.

Russian
Due to my interest in Soviet wristwatches, I ended up watching some YT movies about them. Surprisingly, I've noticed that the level of comprehension is relatively high.
9 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:05 am

This week was dedicated mostly to the final polish of my book about the battle of the Marne. I've received even draft of the picture for the cover:
Marna 1914 0kladka rysunek Marka Szyszki-male.jpg

It is a scene of the death of 2nd lieutenant Charles Péguy. There will be corrections like the number on the collar (276 instead of 76), and perhaps soldiers' uniforms will be darkened. I hope to receive the final version of the cover with the title and so on. Just like those :D
I still have some corrections, but the book is scheduled to be printed in the next few days! By the way, in the introduction, I've inserted a link to the thread on this forum when I asked for help in the deciphering of the French documents. I thanked all the users who were active there.

Hebrew
Since I had to devote most of my time to my book, I had to limit time spent on Hebrew. But I was able to listen while working in the garden or something like that, which resulted in a significant amount of listening :)
I was happy to understand clearly most of the last interview! The veteran spoke clearly and slowly, and I was more or less familiar with the events. It was the best result of all materials I saw or listened to.
Before a few years, I made a SQL database for scanned documents that helped me work through materials for my other book (still unfinished!). I've decided to use it for the interviews. The target is to cut them into pieces with assigned categories to retrieve all fragments about a unit or a particular event they mentioned. This is surely a long-term project, but can be extremely profitable in the future. Especially that, in most cases, I have a general idea of what is being talked about. So I can sort things now, and when I improve my Hebrew, I will understand the details of those sorted materials.
Hbw8-14VIII21.png

Arabic
I still enjoy adding flashcards from the DLI MSA Basic Course. I hope to finish the 22nd lesson in the next few days. Working with the course is currently my only Arabic-learning activity.

Mandarin
I've finished the 42nd Assimil's lesson and added the flashcards for the 43rd. Mandarin, however, pays the price for the lack of the time for language learning. Mostly I limit myself to reviewing flashcards. However, I was also able to increase the number of the active cards of the HSK Hanping deck.
17 x

Return to “Language logs”