Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Postby cjareck » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:12 pm

The beginning of November was quite an active period. Last Monday and Tuesday, I took part in an academic conference about military conflicts after World War II. This time it wasn't online! It was very nice to meet all my acquaintances and talk with them usually!
I had to prepare my speech, and I've chosen a battle of Egyptian 25th Armored Brigade. It will give me the motivation to study both Hebrew and Arabic :)

Mandarin
I've finally finished the first volume of Assimil. I don't find this handbook impressive, but I will continue with that. I also have a Chinese text about Sino-Soviet conflict in 1969 that will give me some interesting vocabulary. My Chinese LEP helps me with translation. In the long run, it may also be helpful for some academic activity :D

Arabic
I've found a two-part movie about the battle of the 25th Brigade in Arabic. It will be a challenge since I understood only words like "tank" or "bridgehead." I've returned to DLI, and I hope to finish 3rd volume this year ;)
The motivation to learn the language has returned!

Hebrew
I am delighted with my listening abilities. I started re-listening an interview with a veteran who took part in the battle. I was not only able to distinguish the sentences when he was saying something about it, but when I asked my LEP for confirmation, he said that I'd understood them quite well :)
Currently, I am listening to a new interview - almost 5 hours long, and I make notes when he says what. I'm about 1,5 hours into it, but he even didn't start the Yom Kippur War. Nevertheless, I decided to make timestamps so I can return to this interview on other occasions also.
Hbw1-6XI21.png

Hbw7-13XI21.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
12 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:29 am

I had a blood test this week that included a cancer marker. Luckily it is strong within limits (1,1 within 0 - 5), so I'm pretty optimistic. Nevertheless, in December, I will have CT to see if the lymph node that grew last time is still growing. But, thanks to the blood results, I hope that everything will be OK.

Hebrew
Hbw14-20XI21.png

Unfortunately, I forgot to look after the time limits yesterday, and I made only 27 minutes of Hebrew. I had a powerful temptation to figure out something to cover that hole. I always skip loose seconds so I can add one minute without problems. I thought I could also add the remaining minutes because "for sure I thought something in Hebrew for two minutes." It would be a manipulation only, so I've decided to come clean and face the consequences. I've skipped a day in November :(

Arabic
Here I've managed to add flashcards for the 24th lesson. Now I have to review them. Perhaps I will do it this week.
I've also experimented with the abovementioned YT movie about 25th Brigade and Google Translate app on my smartphone. The results were quite interesting, but the work was time-consuming.

Mandarin
Here not much new. I write with my LEP quite regularly, and we answer our questions. Due to work on Arabic in the last days, Mandarin was limited to Anki-only mode.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
12 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:10 pm

cjareck wrote:I had a blood test this week that included a cancer marker. Luckily it is strong within limits (1,1 within 0 - 5), so I'm pretty optimistic. Nevertheless, in December, I will have CT to see if the lymph node that grew last time is still growing. But, thanks to the blood results, I hope that everything will be OK.

Wish you continued success with the tests.
For "Luckily it is strong within limits" I would have written "Luckily it is solidly within limits," or at least not used the word "strong" in this instance." :)
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:12 am

I've encountered a problem with Anki after an update. I used to make serial cloze cards - one sound and one translation field with ten fields for the individual clozes in the sentence. Such a note created up to ten flashcards with closes that shared sound and translation. Now Anki rejects that template and I need to copy-paste sound and translation into each individual flashcard. Waste of time :(

Arabic
I've found some energy for Arabic and finished the 24th lesson of the DLI course and also added flashcards for the 10th lesson of the Polish ESKK course. Not I need up to two weeks to review them ;)
I am taking Arabic into consideration for the language of the next year's challenge.

Mandarin
Here I worked on an article about the Ussuri border conflict. This however goes slow and Mandarin is currently paying the price for the lack of time.

Hebrew
I've managed to add some new flashcards in the last few days. However, mostly I limited myself to Anki + listening.
Hbw21-30XI21.png

Hbw1-4XII21.png
9 x

Ezra
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1),
In use: French, Spanish, Latin, Classical Hebrew
Studying: Classical Chinese, Italian, German, Japanese, Ancient Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8792

Postby Ezra » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:23 pm

cjareck wrote:I've encountered a problem with Anki after an update. I used to make serial cloze cards - one sound and one translation field with ten fields for the individual clozes in the sentence. Such a note created up to ten flashcards with closes that shared sound and translation. Now Anki rejects that template and I need to copy-paste sound and translation into each individual flashcard. Waste of time :(

You might want to report this problem to Anki's author. At least, ten years ago when I had a problem with Anki going nuts on my deck, he fixed it :D.
4 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:19 pm

Ezra wrote:You might want to report this problem to Anki's author. At least, ten years ago when I had a problem with Anki going nuts on my deck, he fixed it :D.

I didn't find an email to the Author, but I wrote a post on Anki forums about my problem.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:59 pm

Anki for IoS and Anki for Android are written by different people. Just so you know.

https://github.com/ankidroid/Anki-Android
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:26 am

Thank God, my Computer Tomography showed no changes in lymph nodes! You can imagine how it improved my morale ;)
I also worked with the languages a lot, making my other activities less important. However, I need to return to academic work as soon as possible.
I wonder what to do with the next 365 Challenge. I could go to Hebrew since I see an improvement, and I can almost work with Hebrew sources. I could go with Arabic since I have to rely on Google Translate almost entirely, and one year of hard work surely would improve my Arabic. The same applies to Mandarin. This language, however, is still not that important, even if very tempting ;)

Hebrew
As you can see from the attached images, I returned to LWT and added vocabulary. I am about three paragraphs before the end of the first part of the podcast about the 188th Armored Brigade. It seems to be possible to finish it this year! I hope I will manage it!
During a LE, I discussed vaccines against Covid. I was not only to formulate my arguments but also more or less understand the replies ;)
Hbw4XII-11XII21.png

Hbw12XII-18XII21.png

Arabic
I finished reviewing flashcards from the 10th lesson of the Polish ESKK course. It is about a passive voice, so not that easy. I will focus on the 25th DLI lesson this time.
I am still far from understanding more than a few single words. Because of that, I have problems with motivation to learn the language, but hopefully, I will keep a good pace with the language.

Mandarin
Here I work in the LWT with the text about the Sino-Soviet border conflict. I added flashcards and learned the vocabulary, which is my main activity. Working with native material is very complicated. Perhaps I should return to the Assimil.
10 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:00 am

We had a beautiful Christmas and I mean as well the atmosphere inside as the weather outside. I don't remember having snow in the last few years. This year we have it now! Unfortunately, it will melt down soon and New Year will sink in the mud.

I am still considering what to choose for the 365 Challenge and it seems that I've decided to go with Arabic. The decision was reinforced yesterday when my LEP contacted me and told me he wish to teach me Arabic again. Mandarin is a great temptation, but learning Arabic will be much more practical at the moment because it will give me the possibility to read sources of both sides in the Israeli-Arab wars. Well, Mandarin could also achieve that for the Chinese Civil War ;) or Ussuri border conflict...

Hebrew
This was a good week for Hebrew! I was able to push forward with work on the podcast about the 188th Brigade and finished the first part! I also listened a lot while helping my wife in the kitchen. The listening was also quite good! One of the veterans talked about the battle I am currently working on (annihilation of the 25 Brigade). More or less (confirmed by my LEP): said that "Luckily Egyptians brought a lot of tanks so there was enough for each of us". In his report (only 30 seconds long) it seemed to look like shooting rats in the barrel, not an armored battle. I've found a podcast in Arabic about that and I hope to figure out what was said there soon ;)

Hbw19XII-25XII21.png

Arabic
I really have an interest in this language now. I've prepared audio for the 25th lesson of the DLI and currently, I'm adding the flashcards.

Mandarin
Here I work with LWT on the text about the Ussuri border conflict, as well as on the Flamric Reader. I've added some flashcards already and I try to learn them ;) My LEP is in Poland and he will visit me the day after tomorrow. This may be an interesting experience!
16 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:32 pm

Hebrew
Time is up. I've scored 364, which is not that bad :)
I also finished adding vocabulary from the first part of the podcast about the 188th Armored Brigade. I started working with the second part. Hopefully, it will go quicker.
Hbw-26XII-31XII21.png

Next year Hebrew goes down to "generic" together with Mandarin. I hope that it will not hurt my learning too much since I was listening to fill the minutes most of the time. The most important activity - adding vocabulary was not that active during a whole period.

Arabic
I reviewed LWT for Arabic, but this goes slowly. I've chosen this language as my primary language for the following year. I have plenty of recorded courses for learning, so I hope that even filing the missing minutes will be more valuable than just listening to something in the target language. Honestly, I don't understand much in Arabic. At least for now ;)

Mandarin
My LEP has visited me, and it was a lovely experience! We talked only in English but also discussed some language-related topics. I showed him my beautiful hometown, he brought some excellent gifts for us. And of course, this all increased my motivation to learn Mandarin, but ultimately I decided to go with the Mandarin in the "Generic" group.
I have also been working with LWT in Mandarin during the last few days.
13 x

Return to “Language logs”