Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - Hebrew and Arabic (and English also ;) )

Postby cjareck » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:37 am

There will be no targets set for this week either. The main reason for this is the visit of the Author's sister-in-law with her family, which will increase the number of children at home to 8. So it will be a success if there is the time for flashcards ;)
Maybe the Autor will add to Anki the lesson 5 of DLI MSA Basic Course since he just prepared the necessary audio files ;)
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Re: Military historian's corner - Hebrew, Arabic and Russian (and English also ;) )

Postby cjareck » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:50 pm

The readers probably noticed the slight change in the topic's title. The Author has not much Russian knowledge, but since it is similar to the Polish, he can communicate in this language. What is more, he does not have any psychical blockade before speaking - he speaks confidently, but his vocabulary and grammar are poor. This lack of the psychical barriers is a strong argument for Russian. The other is very simple. Author signed an agreement with the authorities of Polish town Działdowo (Soldau) for writing part of the book about town's history. He is to prepare two chapters - 1914-1919 and 1939-1945, also both world wars. Nothing surprising, since he is a military historian ;)
For both abovementioned chapters, the Author gathered some valuable materials in Russian, so he has to work with them.

Last week the log's Author added one lesson in DLI MSA Basic Course to his Anki deck of MSA exercises. He also managed to add a small number of flashcards to his Hebrew deck.

Since the Author is home alone during this week, he may set some goals to achieve:

ARABIC:
- flashcards

HEBREW
- flashcards
- add Lesson 23 of the FSI Hebrew Basic Course to Anki
- check for errors OCR'ed text from "Hebrew Military Reader" and prepare it for translation

RUSSIAN
- flashcards (Mostly made of "DLI Russian Refresher Course")
- add to "Learning with Texts" all documents concerning East Prussian Campaign of 1914 and translate fragments with Działdowo (it may sound very ambitious, but there are only a few pages in Russian from the book "East-Prussian Operation" -> http://elib.shpl.ru/ru/nodes/14263-vost ... -gg-m-1939 )
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:42 am

Last week was something opposite from earlier plans. Due to various distractions, language learning, especially Hebrew was not a priority. Even the Anki decks are waiting for 2-3 days already.
Nevertheless, the Author managed to achieve some successes, mostly in the field of the Russian language.
So the goals for the week were:

ARABIC:
- flashcards partially done

HEBREW
- flashcards partially done
- add Lesson 23 of the FSI Hebrew Basic Course to Anki not done
- check for errors OCR'ed text from "Hebrew Military Reader" and prepare it for translation not done

RUSSIAN
- flashcards (Mostly made of "DLI Russian Refresher Course") done
- add to "Learning with Texts" all documents concerning East Prussian Campaign of 1914 and translate fragments with Działdowo (it may sound
very ambitious, but there are only a few pages in Russian from the book
"East-Prussian Operation" -> http://elib.shpl.ru/ru/nodes/14263-vost ... -gg-m-1939 ) done

The Autor tried this time to take into the consideration that his ambitions are far beyond his possibilities. As a result, the current week's goals should be more modest.

ARABIC:
- Flashcards

HEBREW
- Flashcards
- Continue adding Lesson 23 (at least 20 cards daily)

RUSSIAN
- Flashcards
- Add to "Learning with Texts" all appropriate fragments from Russian war diaries of units engaged in capturing Działdowo (Soldau at that time). It should not be a lot, probably a few pages from 5th Guard Armoured Army, 29th Armoured Corps, 32 Armoured Brigade and maybe from 2nd Assault Army.
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:49 am

Unfortunately, the log's Author did not found time last week to report his achievements. Since they were not impressive there is not much loss ;) He decided to abstain from declaring goals for next week. He will limit himself to reporting the achievements only.

Log's Author managed to read and gather necessary information from Russian sources about Offensive in January 1945. The "Learning With Texts," "Google Translate" and classical dictionaries were quite helpful in this matter.

Hebrew, unfortunately, did not receive the necessary amount of attention in last two weeks. Nevertheless, some exercises were prepared during this time.

Log's Author used Anki, but not daily as he planned.

That is all, as log's Author thinks.
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:36 pm

This week was full of various events not connected with language learning but time-consuming. Nevertheless, the log's Author managed finally to finish adding to Anki lesson 23 of "Hebrew Basic Course" which consisted mainly of "nif'al" conjugation. It will take approximately two more weeks to work through all the added exercises. Then the log's Author will probably wait about two weeks to decrease the number of repetitions before starting lesson 24.

All other languages did not enjoy anything more but Anki reviews at this time.

There is a dilemma with Arabic. From one side, learning just MSA will not solve the problem, and the Egyptian and Syrian dialects will have to follow. Learning them will surely be time-consuming. On the other side, the Author asked on Hi Native about one photo (German Jagdpanzer IV with an inscription in Arabic) and received help, but one user called him something like "Polish Jew" and "Jewish Spy," what surely was not a pleasant experience. Is it resonable to continue studying Arabic?
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:45 pm

cjareck wrote:Is it resonable to continue studying Arabic?

One of the log's readers notes that HiNative attracts people of extremely low class. This reader comments that she often avoids helping with posts that she finds disgusting or abusive to women. She recommends trying another app to find a long term exchange partner or two. Her top suggestion at the moment is Tandem, particularly due to the fact that it is simple to adjust the age of persons suggested for a match, thus hopefully allowing the elimination of those who's brains haven't completed their development.

Correction for the second to last post -- did not find :)

Sorry you had a lousy experience. Hopefully it can be redeemed in other places/ways.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Military historian's corner - Hebrew, Arabic and Russian (and English also ;) )

Postby StringerBell » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:41 pm

I am really enjoying reading your "formally written log"!

Since you said that you are practicing writing in a formal way and you would like corrections, I will suggest two small ones to make your writing a little more formal.

cjareck wrote:The readers probably noticed the slight change in the topic's title.

In formal writing, I would use "likely" instead of "probably" and "adjustment" instead of "change". So I would write:
Readers likely noticed the slight adjustment of the topic's title.
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:13 am

Ani wrote:One of the log's readers notes that HiNative attracts people of extremely low class. This reader comments that she often avoids helping with posts that she finds disgusting or abusive to women. She recommends trying another app to find a long term exchange partner or two. Her top suggestion at the moment is Tandem, particularly due to the fact that it is simple to adjust the age of persons suggested for a match, thus hopefully allowing the elimination of those who's brains haven't completed their development.

Log's Author found Tandem some time ago, but he, as a shy person, had not enough courage to register and look for language partners. The breaking psychical blockade is a real problem for him. He read once that such a thing is because of conceit as one does not want to show his weak points. He will somehow deal with the problem soon.

Ani wrote:Correction for the second to last post -- did not find :)

Log's Author would like to thank for the good news!

StringerBell wrote:I am really enjoying reading your "formally written log"!

It is a pleasure to hear that ;)

StringerBell wrote:Since you said that you are practicing writing in a formal way and you would like corrections, I will suggest two small ones to make your writing a little more formal.

The log's Author would like to express his gratitude for this. For him, this means reaching the next level. The road ahead is long since he has difficulty in recognizing what is formal and what is not. However, it is not too long since Grammarly as the first filter is quite an effective tool, and there is a native speaker as a second filter ;)

It seems that the writing experience in English becomes the most profitable thing for the log's Author from registering at this forum. It is better than was initially planned since English is the essential language even in Humanities now.
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:52 pm

cjareck wrote: English is the essential language even in Humanities now.

Some options for writing "now" in a more formal way are: "at present (or: at the present time)", and "currently".

So, if I were writing this sentence in a formal paper, I would use any of these, though the third option would be my first choice:

(1) Even in the Humanties, English is currently an essential language.
(2) English is currently an essential language, even in the Humanities.
(3) At present, English is an essential language even in the field of Humanities.
(4) English is at the present time an essential language, even in the Humanities.

I always see it written as "the Humanities", I think because it refers to a specific collections of fields (literature, philosophy, etc...).
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:44 am

cjareck wrote:
Ani wrote:One of the log's readers notes that HiNative attracts people of extremely low class. This reader comments that she often avoids helping with posts that she finds disgusting or abusive to women. She recommends trying another app to find a long term exchange partner or two. Her top suggestion at the moment is Tandem, particularly due to the fact that it is simple to adjust the age of persons suggested for a match, thus hopefully allowing the elimination of those who's brains haven't completed their development.

Log's Author found Tandem some time ago, but he, as a shy person, had not enough courage to register and look for language partners. The breaking psychical blockade is a real problem for him. He read once that such a thing is because of conceit as one does not want to show his weak points. He will somehow deal with the problem soon.

Just register and see what happens. I don't know if men get the same response but I've yet to actually message anyone and I can't keep up with the messages. I didn't even fill out my profile..
Ani wrote:Correction for the second to last post -- did not find :)

Log's Author would like to thank for the good news!

Oh I should have been more careful! You wrote "dig boy found" up on that post. It should be changed to "did not find" Sorry I was unclear!
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”