Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:13 am

cjareck wrote:This week was dedicated mostly to the final polish of my book about the battle of the Marne. I've received even draft of the picture for the cover:
Marna 1914 0kladka rysunek Marka Szyszki-male.jpg

It is a scene of the death of 2nd lieutenant Charles Péguy. There will be corrections like the number on the collar (276 instead of 76), and perhaps soldiers' uniforms will be darkened. I hope to receive the final version of the cover with the title and so on. Just like those :D
I still have some corrections, but the book is scheduled to be printed in the next few days!
Exciting! Congratulations. :-)
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:38 pm

cjareck wrote:Before a few years, I made a SQL database for scanned documents that helped me work through materials for my other book (still unfinished!).
A minor correction: a native speaker would write "A few years before" instead of "Before a few years."
But splendid work indeed. Congratulations!
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:15 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:A minor correction: a native speaker would write "A few years before" instead of "Before a few years."

Thank you very much for the correction!

This week was rather a lazy one. I didn't do much in any of the fields. I think that is due to stress connected with the book as well as with tomorrow's Computer Tomography.

Hebrew
I used time for breakfast or riding a bike for listening to podcasts or watching the interviews. I was happy to understand quite a lot from the last two of them. According to my notes, I've watched over 25 hours of interviews and listened to 34 hours of podcasts this year already. All that thanks to 365 Challenge :)
hbw15-21VIII21.png

Arabic
I've added everything from the 22nd lesson and started working on the 23rd. Perhaps we well go for a short holiday soon, so I decided to put all the time into making cards and not reviewing new ones. Since a quiet place on the lake seems to be the ideal spot for the second activity ;)

Mandarin
As usual, worse than Arabic. I still need to review the flashcards for the 43rd lesson of Assimil's course. Perhaps I will manage to add the 44th one before departure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:14 am

I was on a short holiday with my family at the end of August and didn't find time to update my log then. Last weekend was also busy, so two weeks passed without any update.
My visit to the oncologist was very nice, but there is some possible issue that needs to be checked in December. So there is a possibility for the chemical campaign in 2022. The doctor said that there might be everything OK. I don't worry much, since it would be stupid to waste life worrying ;)
I've reviewed a book published by my friends, and in their opinion, my review was too harsh, which caused some tensions between us. That reduced my motivation to learn Hebrew and Arabic, but I managed to continue it.

Languages-August.png

Hebrew
Hbw22-28VIII21.png

Hbw5-11IX21.png

As you can see, unfortunately, I mostly limited myself to Anki + watching interviews. I've learned some Hebrew military shortcuts that may be useful in the future.

Arabic
I'm pushing forward with the DLI MSA Basic Course. Yesterday I finished adding the 23rd lesson. I hope to add the 24th before the academic year starts, but it won't be easy. After that, I will figure out how to deal with comprehension drills since I've audio and texts for them.

Mandarin
Slowly I was able to advance also on the Mandarin front. I've finished the 44th lesson and started 45th that I hope to end soon. The drawback of the Assimil course is that audio differs from the script in some points. In the 44th lesson dialogue, it was in three places. I find it annoying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
16 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:23 am

This time I decided not to postpone my update :)
On Friday I've received a printed copy of my book! I had to send it to him together with the books that I used while writing it.
mojeHB.png

I hope to receive more exemplars in the next few days.

Due to lack of time, I limited myself to tracking only my Hebrew activities.

Hebrew
I had one day of work in the garden that can be clearly seen due to the amount of time spend on listening ;)
I understand below 50% of what the veterans say, sometimes knowing a few sentences in a row and sometimes only a few fords in some sentences. Yesterday I listened to a veteran from the 79th armored battalion that suffered 80% casualties in the war. He was asked how his return to home looked like. He said I said only, "Mom, I'm home. Only three words but so much meaning". He was clearly moved even after all those years...
Hbw12-18IX21.png

Arabic
I've managed to finish the 23rd lesson of the DLI MSA Basic Course. I hope at least to add all the cards from the 24th lesson before the academic year starts.

Mandarin
I've added cards for two more lessons and finished one. Maybe I will finish the first volume before the end of my holidays. I'm starting to enjoy learning Mandarin again :) I've bought a four-volume history of the Chinese communist party. I'm as far from being a communist as possible, but Audiatur et altera pars and especially the first volume - the history to 1949 - is important to me due to the Chinese Civil war.
13 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:22 am

Next week passed I even don't know when ;)
The readers found some minor mistakes in my book, but - at least until now - the reviews are positive.

Hebrew
The situation is the same - mostly Anki with some interviews. I've also added some cards for the cursive script. However, this is extremely difficult due to a lack of vocabulary.

Hbw19-25IX21.png

Arabic
Arabic seemed to be the worst language in last week. I started working on audio for the flashcards, but I have many cards due since I didn't have time to review them. It seems that I've lost my passion for Arabic, at least for the nearest future. However, I will not drop the learning for sure.

Mandrin
I've concentrated on Assimil. I've prepared flashcards for the next few lessons, and currently, I am working on lesson 49 - the last of the first volume. However, I'm pretty far from finishing the book since I have to review those cards ;) I hope to have some time between the lectures in October. Reviewing cards in that time will surely be more manageable than making them.
8 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:30 am

Tomorrow I will go to work! There will be no online learning, at least for some time. I hope to have some time for Anki between the lectures ;)

Hebrew
Hbw26-30IX.jpg

Hbw1-2X21.jpg

Still, the main focus was on Anki and listening practice. I've also struggled to learn the cursive script and prepared some Anki cards for that. My comprehension level is still low, but I can recognize some basic words like "tank" relatively quickly.

I will take the next Super Challenge with Hebrew if interviews with veterans will count as a movie, and no Twitter or something like that is necessary.

Mandarin
I've managed to finish creating cards for Anki from the first volume. I even started reviewing them.

Arabic
I've prepared audio for the 24th Lesson of the DLI Basic Course. Some drills that do not have audio are already waiting for review ;)
11 x

Dr Mack Rettosy
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16180

Postby Dr Mack Rettosy » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:43 pm

I've bought a four-volume history of the Chinese communist party

Ambitious! Is this in Mandarin or your native Polish?

I'm starting to build a collection of paper books in Mandarin but don't yet dare read without Pleco.
2 x
Mandarin goals:
Read: 2146000 / 10000000 /10,000,000 汉字
Study: 2006 / 5000 / 5000 hours

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:16 am

Dr Mack Rettosy wrote:
Ambitious! Is this in Mandarin or your native Polish?.

Mandarin, of course! I wouldn't be able to force myself to read it in Polish. I think that Scanner + OCR + Google Translate (and other electronic resources or with the help of my language partner) will allow me to get through interesting fragments.

Mandarin
My language partner arrived in Poland and contacted me, so perhaps we will establish regular contacts or even see us in person ;)
I've finally made some progress with Assimil - currently, I'm working with the 48th lesson that I hope to finish within a few days.

I had a language exchange last Sunday - it was exciting, and I hope to continue it!

It seems that Mandarin is now my primary language of interest :)

Arabic
Arabic indeed lost its momentum. I managed to add the vocabulary of the 24th lesson of DLI. I hope to finish the lesson in October or November. That would mean that I will not only complete the 3rd volume and exceed what I was learning by listening only quite a few years ago.

Hebrew
I managed to meet the conditions of the 365 Challenge without a problem. I will listen more while walking since I do not pray while I have a cap on my head. Not to waste time, I will do listening then.
My daily Hebrew pattern is relatively simple - mostly Anki + listening, but luckily with some exceptions like adding new vocabulary or reading a cursive script.
Hbw3-9X21.png

Hbw10-16X21.png
10 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:04 am

Again I've skipped my weekly update due to the amount of work. I am a reviewer in a habilitation (academic grade in Poland after obtaining Ph.D.), and I have to read - luckily quite an interesting - a 600-pages book.
Besides that, I read a thesis of my Ph.D. student who writes about armored force in the battle of Lenino: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lenino
During communists times, they wrote a lot about it. Now it is time to write truth based on Polish, Soviet and German documents...

Mandarin
I will start with Mandarin today ;) I have LE with my old Chinese LEP. I can't focus enough on the language, but I am pleased with that. I hope to finish the 1st volume of Assimil this week. I also worked on a text about the Soviet-Chinese conflict on the Ussuri River in 1969. My LEP, of course, helps me with the translation.

Arabic
Here the situation is not good. I limit myself to Anki, but I have to read and translate a few pages about the battle of the Egyptian 25th Brigade: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_ ... ade_ambush since I've chosen this topic for my conference thesis. I would like to present an Egyptian point of view also.

Hebrew
The thesis I would like to present forces me to read Hebrew also ;) So I hope to add some reading into my schedule. There are four such minutes - I was reading about the structure of the 25th Brigade. I've understood the paragraph without any problems. :)
I also managed to meet the requirements for the 365 Challenge, but not necessarily the way I would like to. In my opinion, adding vocabulary is much better than just listening or watching.
HBW-17-23X-2021.png

HBW-24-30X-2021.png
10 x

Return to “Language logs”