Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Military historian's corner - Hebrew and Arabic, Russian (and English also ;) )

Postby StringerBell » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:48 pm

cjareck wrote:The Polish translation was made from English edition, unfortunately, but I was some kind of a consultant - if something was unclear, I was to check it in the Hebrew original and translate the corresponding fragment. In the beginning, this was very stressful since the chapters are different, but I managed to do it all the few times I was asked. I was Proud of myself a lot ;)

That sounds like great news. How did you manage to check the original Hebrew without knowing Hebrew? Sounds like you have magic!
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - Hebrew and Arabic, Russian (and English also ;) )

Postby cjareck » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:12 pm

StringerBell wrote: Sounds like you have magic!

Who knows ;) My wife says that I can look at the book a few minutes and be able to speak about it. It happened a few times that she borrowed a book from a library and I opened a few pages randomly and found some crucial fragments of the plot in that time ;)

In the case of "Heights of Courage," it was not possible of course. I was told here and here is that and that. See what Hebrew book says about that. The editor was on Skype with me, so I was able to ask him about the surrounding information to establish the right spot. Dialogues and numbers were very good reference points. When I found the fragment, we disconnected, and I started slowly translating it. It was never more than 2-3 sentences I think. So it was not a big deal, but during the first time, I was in big stress.
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:44 pm

Hebrew
I asked for a recording, and my LE read it for me. This was only the beginning since I have to cut the stream into sentences and then choose appropriate pictures to help me with filling gaps in Anki. When I work with flashcards, I read out loud (at least at the beginning) the phrase so that I can read the first two paragraphs quite well. It goes slowly since I have to write quite a lot of texts.

Arabic
I finally finished creating flashcards for the 10th lesson of DLI. I am going to review them all this week.

English
I wrote a summary of an article which I have written with my wife. I would be grateful for checking it. It is about one interesting military periodical from the interwar period

“Kriegskunst in Wort und Bild” - a legal periodical for training of illegal reserves
(Summary)

The monthly magazine "Kriegskunst in Wort und Bild" came into being in October 1924 as a help in improving the military knowledge and in propagating the patriotism. Military authorities were following its development and were influencing its content because recipients of the magazine were treated as a potential source of reserves in case of a war. To win the readers, the periodical had from the beginning rich graphical design. Its content concentrated mainly on patriotic (including anti-polish) topics and training materials with basics of contemporary military knowledge. After introducing a compulsory military service in March 1935, the periodical changed its role - it was destined for lower grade commanders of the Wehrmacht. During the whole analysed period the responsible editor of the magazine was major Bodo Zimmermann. The periodical was published regularly and with a fixed size of 48 pages, so in the described period 126 issues have been published (6048 pages).

Keywords: „Kriegskunst in Wort und Bild”, German military press, Reichsheer, Reichswehr, illegal reserves
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:24 pm

cjareck wrote:English
I wrote a summary of an article which I have written with my wife. I would be grateful for checking it. It is about one interesting military periodical from the interwar period

“Kriegskunst in Wort und Bild” - a legal periodical for the training of illegal reserves
(Summary)

The monthly magazine "Kriegskunst in Wort und Bild" came into being in October 1924 as a help in improving the (delete "the") military knowledge and in propagating the (delete "the") patriotism. Military authorities were following its development and were influencing its content because recipients of the magazine were treated as a potential source of reserves in case of a war. To win the readers, the periodical had from the beginning a (add "a") rich graphical design. Its content concentrated mainly on patriotic (including anti-Polish) topics and training materials with basics of contemporary military knowledge. After introducing a compulsory military service in March 1935, the periodical changed its role - it was destined for lower grade commanders of the Wehrmacht. During the whole analysed period the responsible editor of the magazine was major Bodo Zimmermann. The periodical was published regularly and with a fixed size of 48 pages, so in the described period 126 issues have been published (6048 pages).

Keywords: „Kriegskunst in Wort und Bild”, German military press, Reichsheer, Reichswehr, illegal reserves

^^^ In English, names of languages and countries are always capitalized.
^^^There are a few minor article corrections.

Overall, this is well written. There are a few small changes to make. I tried to bold/color code anything that could use some editing. Below are some suggestions:

1) The monthly magazine "Kriegskunst in Wort und Bild" came into being in October 1924 as a way to improve military knowledge and propagate patriotism.

"came into being" isn't wrong, but I think it would sound better to say something like "was created" in this situation.

2) After introducing a compulsory military service in March 1935, the periodical changed its role >>> Saying it this way makes it sound like the periodical intentionally and actively decided to change its role, which I don't think is what you're saying. I think your intent is to say that the role of the periodical changed, but not because the periodical, itself, decided to change the role. If I'm understanding your intent, then I'd say it like this: After introducing a compulsory military service in March 1935, the role of the periodical changed

3) Just wanted to point out that if you are writing this article for a British audience, then you spelled "analysed" correctly. If you are writing for an American audience, American English spells this word with a z: "analyzed".

4) Except for the verb tense, the rest of the sentence is not wrong, but it sounds slightly awkward: The periodical was published regularly and with a fixed size of 48 pages, so in the described period 126 issues have been published (6048 pages).
I would move around the order of the information a bit and write it like this:

The periodical was published regularly and with a fixed size of 48 pages; 126 issues were published in the aforementioned period.

*I would change "described period" to "aforementioned period" if you are referencing a specific period of time that you previously referred to (which is what I think you are saying).

Hopefully my feedback wasn't too confusing! Let me know if you have any questions or want me to read over anything else.
3 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:24 pm

StringerBell wrote:Overall, this is well written. There are a few small changes to make. I tried to bold/color code anything that could use some editing. Below are some suggestions:

Thanks! I had to translate from Polish, so it forced me to look for some new words which I would surely avoid when writing in English from scratch.

StringerBell wrote:Hopefully my feedback wasn't too confusing! Let me know if you have any questions or want me to read over anything else.

Everything was clear to me. Thank you very much!

For the language report a may add a following:
Russian
Since I am working with digital copies of Russian messages from printing telegraph and there is no commas, brackets or dots. Everything is written, so I had to learn their Russian names. Yesterday I encountered the word "comma". To help me remember it, I put the following picture into the Anki deck:
In Polish, the comma is really important in this case. Those sentence mean:
Shoot (him), (you) are not allowed to release (him)
Release (him), (you) are not allowed to shoot (him)
3 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:23 pm

We have something similar in English, though the actual sentence is different. This is the title of a book about punctuation (which I own and have read, but can't remember if I liked it or not :oops: ).

Eats, shoots and leaves: someone eats, then shoots (a gun), then leaves (the room/building).
vs.
Eats shoots and leaves: something eats shoots (young plants) and then leaves the area.
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:26 pm

Hebrew
I worked hard today, and by reviewing 71 new flashcards, I managed to finish 26th lesson today! This means, however, that tomorrow I will have 150+ Hebrew cards for reviewing and also a language exchange in that language. The 27th is still not prepared, but I will need a few days to get the number of cards scheduled for reviewing to a more acceptable level before I will start adding new ones.
Nevertheless, I was working longer on that lesson then I expected, and the end of FSI in June seems to be rather questionable.
The most important thing is that I speak confidently. Actually, confidence precedes my abilities ;) It means that I start saying a sentence and then in the middle, I do not know how to say the most important word. I have noticed, however, that I start to describe the missing words. This will hopefully lead me to the fluency.

Arabic
I have finished the 10th lesson of the DLI. Besides learning basic vocabulary, I practice the eastern Arabic numerals which differ quite a lot from what is known as Arabic numerals. I feel that I can recognize them quite well already.
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Time goes quickly, and it is time for another update! I have an extremely busy period, but I do not abandon language learning! Actually, I do an opposite - this allows me to relax, just like any other hobby would do. This one, however, is very useful when someone is interested in military history :)

Hebrew
My main focus is still on Hebrew. My LEP read for me a whole page, I didn't manage to put every sentence into Anki yet, but I hope to do it soon. Nevertheless, the part I made, I can read fluently.
I spoke with my second LEP - we practised an airport conversation, and he stated, that it would be better not to use security personnel (people whom you show your passport to) to language practice since they have a job to do and not necessarily want or have time to teach me Hebrew. This is a strong point; I saw this conversation only from my side - if I start speaking Hebrew from the beginning, I will speak it, I will finally break the psychological barrier. But, from the other side, LEP is completely right... We will have one session before my trip - I will use him to practice in asking for directions ;)
I have prepared audio for the 27th lesson of the FSI. I hope to start adding the exercises this week.

Arabic
I started working with the 11th lesson. Mostly recognising numbers for now. This will probably take a whole week to get through all the exercises. Arabic is still not a priority, so I do not mind going slowly.

Russian
I successfully managed to write an article about crossing the San river in the year 1915, where I was forced to use a lot of Russian materials. I hope that I managed to understand the most important fragments and that I have used them correctly.

English
I wrote a long post on this forum ;)

The new position on the list:
French
I have abandoned French for years, but I started writing a book on the battle of the Marne in 1914, so there will be plenty of opportunities to refresh my knowledge... As I said before, I can read with a dictionary; I wish to be able to read without it. Speaking or listening comprehension are less important skills for me. Writing is not necessary, at least for now.
There are a lot of French archival materials online. And they are all handwritten - it will be a challenge to read them...
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Today I felt almost like a rdearman because one LE was rescheduled for today as an addition to my standard Tuesday's LE - so I had two in one day :) Both in Hebrew.

I read zKing post in the thread How do you avoid panicking when you meet a native speaker? that one should
zKing wrote: Avoid starting up conversations with someone who is in a hurry or you would be slowing them down or getting in the way.

So I decided to abandon the idea of starting speaking Hebrew with passport control at the Airport. I will do it only if there will be a good situation for that - like I mention that I am learning the language and be encouraged to speak.
So I practised other most probable situation where the language may be necessary - asking for directions ;) I hope to be able to do it since such situations occurred during my previous stays. And with each year of the language learning, the pressure from colleagues is rising. They expect that I will be able to help them with my language skills, more than finding a white cheese in a store ;)

I make an appointment with my LE, and I am excited to visit him. We speak with each other every week for more than half a year already. I see my and his improvement at this time.

I think that next update in my log will be after my - hopefully lucky - return from Israel!
2 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:08 pm

I just saw a thread where someone has been asking about how to write sounds that certain Yiddish letters make in Polish. I'm assuming that Yiddish uses the same alphabet and sounds as Hebrew (though maybe I'm wrong here). I'm not sure if you can answer this question, but if anyone here can, I think it would be you! I'm not sure if you've seen the thread, so here is a link:

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 14&t=10225
0 x

Return to “Language logs”