Military historian's corner - EN, HE, ZH, AR, sometimes RU, FR and DE

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Military historian's corner - Hebrew and Arabic, Russian (and English also ;) )

Postby StringerBell » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:04 pm

cjareck wrote:I am not a freelancer since I have got a job at the university. But this was something extraordinary. An association wants to have a book about a small town called Działdowo. They choose a group of historians, who research different periods and offered them money from writing texts about this settlement. We signed an agreement which contained things like what we should write, how much we should write when we should finish and how much the other side is ready to pay for it.

Ok, this is a tricky one. Technically, you are employed by the university, which means you are not a freelancer. However, in the case of this specific project you are freelancing (or doing some freelance work). So, to describe this situation in English, I think there isn't one word that explains the entire situation, so you'd have to specify, "I'm a university employee who is freelancing on a project." or "I'm employed by the university but I'm doing freelance work on a book that was commissioned by an association."
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Military historian's corner - Hebrew and Arabic, Russian (and English also ;) )

Postby cjareck » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks for the explanation. But there is the main point left. In the situation below:
StringerBell wrote:"I'm employed by the university but I'm doing freelance work on a book that was commissioned by an association."

How should I call the association? I presume not an employer since I am employed at the university. A customer?
0 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:09 pm

StringerBell wrote:
cjareck wrote:I am not a freelancer since I have got a job at the university. But this was something extraordinary. An association wants to have a book about a small town called Działdowo. They choose a group of historians, who research different periods and offered them money from writing texts about this settlement. We signed an agreement which contained things like what we should write, how much we should write when we should finish and how much the other side is ready to pay for it.

Ok, this is a tricky one. Technically, you are employed by the university, which means you are not a freelancer. However, in the case of this specific project you are freelancing (or doing some freelance work). So, to describe this situation in English, I think there isn't one word that explains the entire situation, so you'd have to specify, "I'm a university employee who is freelancing on a project." or "I'm employed by the university but I'm doing freelance work on a book that was commissioned by an association."

For work on a book of this type calling yourself a "contributor" seems appropriate. For instance: "I was approached by [association] to write as a contributor on their [subject] book project."

cjareck wrote:How should I call the association? I presume not an employer since I am employed at the university. A customer?

Client feels more appropriate than customer if you need a single-word option for referring to them. Otherwise: "[Association], the association which commissioned me to contribute to/work on their [subject] book project." I feel like there is another 1-2 word term that would fit this, but I can't seem to think of it or find it.
1 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:56 pm

Maiwenn wrote:For work on a book of this type calling yourself a "contributor" seems appropriate. For instance: "I was approached by [association] to write as a contributor on their [subject] book project."

Yes!!! This is a perfect way to explain the situation.

There's several ways of explaining what's going on, but I agree that saying that you were "commissioned by the association" seems to be the most succinct way to describe it.
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:38 am

It's one way to explain the kind of function cjareck performs in this arrangement. What about:

cjareck wrote:How should I call the association? I presume not an employer since I am employed at the university. A customer?

A publisher?

What you call them would depend on what you're trying to say (the image you are trying to project), the nature of the association,, your contract (or lack thereof), your remuneration and if you perform this kind of work for others.

Some people are willing to work as unpaid contributors.
1 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)

Postby cjareck » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:39 pm

Hebrew
I would like to inform Readers of this log, that 25th lesson of the FSI course has been finally finished. That was my main goal of the last few days. I prepared audio for the next lesson which I start adding next week.
I had two LE's this week, and I am pleased with them. First one was a simulation of a conversation which I will have on entering into Israel. Simple questions with simple answers. I didn't understand one of them, but my LEP was able to help me with one sentence in Hebrew, and I already know what was he asking about. If I manage to talk to the airport clerk in Hebrew, I will have no psychological barrier to speak at all.
The second one was a simple really friendly small talk. I have more and more to say.

Arabic
I was just adding some words from the 10th lesson of the DLI course. I have still not finished it; maybe I manage to do it next week.

Russian
Thanks to "Hi Native!" I gathered audio for my dialogue posted here in Multilingual Room. I will prepare it for Anki next week. There is something more on the horizon. I am preparing text about the battle of Radymno (May 24-26, 1915) and found some 80 pages of documents (luckily printed material :) ) of the Russian 8th Army from those days. It simply means I will have an opportunity to improve my reading comprehension in that language ;)
2 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:01 pm

The overall progress is slow. I see plateaus everywhere. Nevertheless, I am doing what I planned, since I really enjoy learning foreign languages. Most enjoyable are the moments when I can use them in my work.

Hebrew
I managed to lower a number of Anki cards to a reasonable level, so I started adding 26th lesson of the FSI! I also tried to add some words from my LEs, but it is more difficult because I lack necessary audio. TTS is not reliable, and Forvo does not have most of the words, and unfortunately, the rate of adding Hebrew words is not quick. Do you think it will not be impolite to ask LEP for permission to record him saying a particular phrase during a conversation?

Arabic
I have not only finished 10th lesson of DLI but started adding the next one. The exercises are very simple - answer affirmatively or negatively using a given cue word (e.g. Is this a new car | old -> No, it is an old car). At this stage, my Arabic is far from being useful, but Kropla drąży kamień as we say in Polish (A drop hollows out a stone). I hope that I will be able to read Arabic also.

Russian
There are so many similar words that I can read for example a telegramme from the Army staff from 1915, and more or less understand it. But there are a few traps - the most obvious are false friends and the second one is old language. Yes, much older than the FSI! It is even with old Russian spelling before bolshevik's reform. But since I know what is going on (I have a custom to read about something in better known languages first) I can reconstruct the puzzle ;)
2 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:07 pm

cjareck wrote:Do you think it will not be impolite to ask LEP for permission to record him saying a particular phrase during a conversation?

I think this is a great idea! If my LEPs asked me for permission to record words or sentences, I would do it very happily, so I bet that your LEP would also be happy to do it.

How do you take notes during your exchanges? Do you write down whole sentences? Do you write them in Hebrew script (not sure if there's a better way to say that) or do you write it phonetically in Polish?
0 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:23 pm

StringerBell wrote:How do you take notes during your exchanges? Do you write down whole sentences? Do you write them in Hebrew script (not sure if there's a better way to say that) or do you write it phonetically in Polish?

When I speak Polish I write almost all the time. I write quickly so it is not a big problem for me. This also helps me not to speak too quickly since even some native speakers complain about that. My LEPs write some words/phrases/sentences sometimes on their own, sometimes I ask them to do it. I made 2 or 3 phonetical notes, mostly due to various possible pronunciations of the word (since Hebrew script does not have vowels*)

* there is something like niqqud, but this is reserved for the Bible or children's books.

Thanks for the advice! I will check the technical possibilities during the day and ask during my evening LE.
0 x

cjareck
Brown Belt

Postby cjareck » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:30 pm

cjareck wrote:Thanks for the advice! I will check the technical possibilities during the day and ask during my evening LE.

My LE has accepted my request recording part of our session. So next time he will read some paragraphs for me that I will then hopefully put into the Anki to increase my reading comprehension. I started reading the book "Heights of courage" by Avigdor Kahalani in Hebrew. I also have a Polish translation for checking my comprehension. I will receive Hebrew audio of the first page soon. We'll see what happens then!
Image Image Image

The Polish translation was made from English edition, unfortunately, but I was some kind of a consultant - if something was unclear, I was to check it in the Hebrew original and translate the corresponding fragment. In the beginning, this was very stressful since the chapters are different, but I managed to do it all the few times I was asked. I was Proud of myself a lot ;)

There is also other good news for me - I have just finished adding exercises from the 26th lesson of the FSI Hebrew Basic Course. It will take me about two weeks to review them all at least once.
Last edited by cjareck on Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”