A humble Assimil French log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Re: A french race for C2

Postby renaissancemedici » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:43 am

Thanks Ani, I think you are right.

Rant day:

Last night though I had a kind of language panic attack: what am I doing studying at a C2 level when I have an actual job exam that is tough tough tough? Does a C2 effort really increase my chances, or does it undermine them by taking precious time away from me? What on earth am I doing?

August is not a month I'm studying for the exam (no resources here) and that's fine. But I can't follow the plan that says C2 French until November. I can deal with a more conversational level language, but not a C2.

As I said before, I'm trying to figure out a course, but in order to do that you need a destination. I am all over the place right now, and not ashamed to admit it.

What advice would I give a friend if she were in my shoes? I'd tell her to stop the C2 insanity and stick to the job exam. Use August to revive conversational French because there is work to be done there as well. And focus already.

So, right now my thoughts are: stop the C2, finish the Assimil book for August (and only that) *. That's it, one book until September. Then do the Same for German that I really want to learn. All this as a break from the other stuff, because my mind does need a break. I can't study 24/7, it's impossible. As far as languages are concerned that should be enough.

*That's another thing. I keep adding books in my language studies and that doesn't help me in the end. I'll try to be more humble in my ambitions, because this is getting to be an unsettling pattern of mine.

End of rant.

The bottom line:

No more C2, modern or older books or funny exercises. Finish Assimil for the next month and that is enough for me. At least I'll be able to speak without having to open a grammar book every other word.
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)

Re: A humble Assimil French log

Postby renaissancemedici » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:08 pm

I took some courage today, as I got to speak with a family of French tourists, and it was an easy and comfortable conversation. I had become too disheartened I think, so this came at the right moment.

I am not exactly on vacation: my husband's family has a business on an island, so we all contribute during the summer. I am the official french speaking person... :| I do get to swim a lot though ;)
3 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:17 pm

It turns out I have no motivation at all to study French. I shocked myself thinking about it because I've loved the language since I was so young. I still love it, and I can carry a conversation, watch movies, news and documentaries. One day I'll do more with it, but this day hasn't come yet.

Since the C2 plan turned out to be unrealistic I go back to my German studies.
3 x

bretagne
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8845

Postby bretagne » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:03 pm

I don't have anything useful or helpful to add - but I just wanted to thank you for sharing your journey so far. I look forward to reading more (perhaps after a bit of German.. you might come back to your French?)
3 x
1: 666 / 10000 Clozemaster 10,000 French Fluency Fast Track Cards
2: 11 / 100 Assimil New French with Ease (100 lessons)

Skynet
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Postby Skynet » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:16 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:It turns out I have no motivation at all to study French. I shocked myself thinking about it because I've loved the language since I was so young. I still love it, and I can carry a conversation, watch movies, news and documentaries. One day I'll do more with it, but this day hasn't come yet.

Oh dear :shock: ! What happened :cry: ? I thought that things were going so well for you with your French journey :? . Whilst you may have concluded that C2 was a lofty goal to set, that's not a reason to quit. You can merely postpone it (or sit the C1 exam instead) Before you give up, think of all the time, effort and resources that you invested into your French project. Is it worth giving up on?

DISCLAIMER: I am biased because I am currently working on French ;) . German is next on my list AFTER I have a French B2 Pro.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:55 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:It turns out I have no motivation at all to study French. I shocked myself thinking about it because I've loved the language since I was so young. I still love it, and I can carry a conversation, watch movies, news and documentaries. One day I'll do more with it, but this day hasn't come yet.

Sometime when we turn our loves into high pressure goals, we get disenchanted. Happens to me every single time :) Just the job exam is enough pressure and if none of it works out, you can always work towards next year at a much more reasonable pace. Swim and speak French and everything will be ok. I suppose you can do German now, just not enough to detract from the rest of the job exam study ;). (oh my gosh I'm tempted to join you with German . Zenmonkey planted a seed a while back and I've had a longing ever since)
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Thank you all for the support! Yes, the C2 proved too much for me I'm afraid. But the job exam is definitely on. It's worth stressing a bit and studying etc. As for French I am never giving up on it. I still love it, I just don't know when I'll study it properly again. Sometime in the future but not now. I do speak French almost daily recently, and it has given me my confidence back.

Ani, no German yet! You have a lot going on! Unless it's something you can do along with everything else, in which case you have my support.
2 x

Skynet
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Postby Skynet » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:19 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:Thank you all for the support! Yes, the C2 proved too much for me I'm afraid. But the job exam is definitely on. It's worth stressing a bit and studying etc. As for French I am never giving up on it. I still love it, I just don't know when I'll study it properly again. Sometime in the future but not now. I do speak French almost daily recently, and it has given me my confidence back.

There's no need to thank us, RM :) ! That's what we're here for 8-) ! Congratulations on powering ahead with your job exam preparation! I am proud of you for not giving up on French :geek: ! I envy that you get to speak it actively daily :mrgreen: .

renaissancemedici wrote: Ani, no German yet! You have a lot going on! Unless it's something you can do along with everything else, in which case you have my support.

Language learning is a very slippery slope! :!: You think that you will only study one language at a time...before you know it, you'll be trying to juggle the entire Afrioasiatic, Altaic, Slavic and Sino-Tibetan language families! :lol: Assimil, Linguaphone, Living Language etc should have a warning label so that learners are aware of the high risk of language-learning addiction. Fentanyl does not stand a chance :lol:

Ani wrote: (oh my gosh I'm tempted to join you with German . Zenmonkey planted a seed a while back and I've had a longing ever since)

Well, I am delving into German in February 2019...so I am more than happy to be your study partner!
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:35 am

renaissancemedici wrote:Ani, no German yet! You have a lot going on! Unless it's something you can do along with everything else, in which case you have my support.

Yeah I would definitely have to drop Russian and probably also stop fooling around with Icelandic. <Sigh> I want languages much faster than I can actually learn them. But German has so many great beginner resources...MT, LingoDeer, Assimil, Language Transfer.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”