A humble Assimil French log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Re: A french race for C2

Postby renaissancemedici » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:52 am

Cavesa wrote:
Don't rush through important stuff unnecessarily, but don't wait for too long in a comfort zone.

Well said.

I'll be careful with FSI, I am aware of its limits but I need this sort of practice. I got some books on progressive grammar and vocabulary with exercises (more excercises...) in order to cover this as well. I'll take a look into the DALF preparation you mention, to see what's there. As for translation and writing texts, I'll post here some things but I will not join another onine community. We'll see how that one goes. Becherelle I use as a point of reference, consulting it constantly (mostly the verbs).

So, after I have gathered some good resources here is a rough plan of action:
I've got untill November to be ready. From now till the end of August I want to have finished FSI for the conversation. I will have covered as much grammar and vocabulary as possible along with exercises. After that I have two more months (late October) to do the practice tests, and keep studying grammar/vocabulary. And start writing every text possible in French, translating etc. That's it, I'll try to keep it simple. And if all goes wrong there are always the May exams.

Yesterday I finished the first FSI chapter. It was fine, it didn't take that long and it works ok. I wasn't even bored, which is a good sign. I read some grammar about articles etc. Every day I study more.

Je vais essayer d'être laconique avec mon écriture française, car trop de mots ne feront que du mal. Je me souviens du conseil de Michel Thomas, qui proposait d'apprendre et d'utiliser principalement les verbes auxiliaires, pour n'utiliser que l'infinitif des verbes plus difficiles quand c'était possible. Déjà trop de mots.
2 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)

Postby renaissancemedici » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:12 am

I am afraid from now on there will be nothing interesting to share...

I finished the second SFI chapter, and, although it seemed a bit longer this time, it still not boring. I like the drills.

More grammar and vocabulary, in a systematic way this time. By that I mean that I have decided follow the books, as they seem adequate to take me where I should go. I have enough time for that, and I can certainly use the order and discipline. No translation or writing yesterday.

As I said I really try to keep it simple, while being very focused. Maybe that's why I don't find FSI boring yet: I try to be very present in order not to waste time, and somehow that has a positive effect.
3 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:14 am

More vocabulary, more grammar + exercises. No FSI though.

I am as optimistic as ever, without of course forgetting that I will probably not succeed. On the other hand it's an exam, I'm not going to war or anything. Even if I don't succeed for the C2, it's still an excellent way to revive my French, something long overdue. It's also a good way for me to get back into the race of ambition in learning and job hunting, as other obligations kept me so long from planning things like that. It's not the best time for this country as far as jobs are concerned, but education is something that is always there should you need it. My only regret is that I didn't do this before.

I'd like to sing the praises of FSI. I have used it for Hebrew before and liked it, but that effort was undermined from the fact that I never learned the Hebrew alphabet. Now I see how much it can help me, if combined with good grammar and vocabulary resources. I like it more than Assimil at this point, although I couldn't really choose: I want both! Anyway, if the goal is communicating and speaking without stumbling every other word, FSI does the job. I have already written about how much I appreciate those drills.

I also want to exercise more this summer. I do stationary bike anyway, I walk a lot (more than a lot :lol: ) and I do some calisthenics. But I hope to swim quite a lot as well, and I already have some swimming done. I'd ride around in a bicycle all the time if I wasn't afraid of death! There are some brave people out there, but Athens is not a city for that. I was so jealous of the bicycle lanes in Vienna. How much exercise helps with having a clear head is an understatement. I think I will do FSI drills on the bike.

I won't post again until Monday, but I'll be studying!
9 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:46 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:I also want to exercise more this summer. I do stationary bike anyway, I walk a lot (more than a lot :lol: ) and I do some calisthenics. But I hope to swim quite a lot as well, and I already have some swimming done. I'd ride around in a bicycle all the time if I wasn't afraid of death! There are some brave people out there, but Athens is not a city for that. I was so jealous of the bicycle lanes in Vienna. How much exercise helps with having a clear head is an understatement. I think I will do FSI drills on the bike.

I did a lot of French FSI drills a few summers back, and I found it worked very well to do them while walking. On the occasions where the audio was a bit too unclear for me I did my best and looked up the section in the pdf when I got home. I also did some exercises while biking but it was more difficult to respond out loud while on a bike.

Your posts have made me think it's about time I got back to FSI and long walks.
5 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:49 am

Longs walks are my favourite thing as well. The problem is the terrible heat we have right know (and it is still not at its worst, just so you know). You have to get up really early in the morning, or go for a walk late in the afternoon.

No FSI during the weekend but some grammar and vocabulary. I really must triple my efforts here, and gather my head because I have more things than French to study, and the last weekend's pace isn't good enough.

To make matters worst, we booked a Christmas holiday in Vienna which means that now I am thinking about how to squeeze conversational German into all of this mess.

The truth is, I believe there is the time for all of these things to be done properly, even the German, even this forum. The problem is clearly me. I want to find the perfect discipline to do all these things, and I still haven't managed to do it. Despite all the realizations that came to me during the past two months, and despite the fact that I have a very clear idea of how I want to be in the future. Fortunately I am still at the beginning of this effort, learning from mistakes, inspired by other people, so no harm done.

Another thread made me understand that I have no real confidence in languages: I must have some strengths, I am not sure what they are to describe them! I feel I haven't really accomplished much in languages lately, except some promising beginnings. If advancing level in French seems like a mountain, German is like Nordwand: many people have klimbed it but me it will probably kill.

Sometimes you just have to shut up and do what needs to be done. Overthinking things is never good for me.

Je dois enfin commencer à écrire en français!
Last edited by renaissancemedici on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:59 am

You know, the way you described the job you are interested in, it looked like you could have a C2 in any language. Is it specifically French you need? Does English not work? You have English listed in your profile after the other languages (usually we list them in order of strength), but I assume your English is stronger than your French?

You're really tempting me to break out my mom voice, start wagging my finger and say "No you can not start German until after this test"
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:18 am

I do have a C2 in English, and I could just take the test without French (I may have to because reaching a C2 level...) . But it will increase my chances of passing the job exam, which is a very difficult one anyway.

In fact there are more chances I will fail both things, rather than succeeding. I thought I'd give it a good try.

Not even a tiny Michel Thomas German course? :cry:
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:09 am

renaissancemedici wrote:Not even a tiny Michel Thomas German course? :cry:

Nope, none!!!!!!!!!...... .......... !!!!!

Keep up the awesome momentum!

(we are on a very similar path here, I’m with you in spirit)
5 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:23 am

Done and done! No German, only even more French!
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:40 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:Done and done! No German, only even more French!

I’m suspecting a little stretch of the truth... since I’ve just noticed a little -ahem- progress bar below your messages. :o
2 x

Return to “Language logs”