A humble Assimil French log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Re: A french race for C2

Postby renaissancemedici » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:07 am

Do you think that dictation would be a waste of time, if you consider what I study for (C2 exams)?
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)

Postby renaissancemedici » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:10 am

Despite of how cheerfully I try to write in the forum I haven't been in a good place lately. I strongly doubt my decision to make such a huge effort, for nothing (most probably!) . It's not because I am being lazy or anything like that, it's just that right now I feel a huge resistance towards doing things that have a slim chance of success. I wish there was a more sure bet in terms of finding a decent job, not to mention more immediate. It's as if I waste my efforts in a dream or something. This has been a very trying time, but at the same time a turning point: I can feel as much but I haven't reached definite decisions yet. Something is happening though. I feel suddenly more grown up than before, and I need to find a steady course and stick to it. I mean in my personal path and goals. I don't know what I'll do.

Of course, learning French is fine, it doesn't do any harm. But as far as everything else is concerned, I just don't know. I will take the job test, I know that much, but I need a backup plan that is more immediate, a course of action that will lead me to a nice place safer and sooner.
4 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:34 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:Despite of how cheerfully I try to write in the forum I haven't been in a good place lately. I strongly doubt my decision to make such a huge effort, for nothing (most probably!) . It's not because I am being lazy or anything like that, it's just that right now I feel a huge resistance towards doing things that have a slim chance of success. I wish there was a more sure bet in terms of finding a decent job, not to mention more immediate. It's as if I waste my efforts in a dream or something. This has been a very trying time, but at the same time a turning point: I can feel as much but I haven't reached definite decisions yet. Something is happening though. I feel suddenly more grown up than before, and I need to find a steady course and stick to it. I mean in my personal path and goals. I don't know what I'll do.

Of course, learning French is fine, it doesn't do any harm. But as far as everything else is concerned, I just don't know. I will take the job test, I know that much, but I need a backup plan that is more immediate, a course of action that will lead me to a nice place safer and sooner.

Welcome to my universe! It's pretty dark around here, but there is a star here and there. I'd volunteer to be your guide but we would both get lost! :-D

Yes, there are slim chances of success. And so what? If we do not pursue our foolish, crazy, and irresponsible ambitions for once in our lifetimes, we may never get another chance to do so. I know I won't get another chance, I don't know about your situation, whether you can redo the job exams you've been excited about.

Of course it looks horrible. Perhaps we should share photos of our piles of preparatory books or similar stuff :-D
Or a list of all those discouraging comments we've heard, and destroy those with logical arguments for each other :-D

And the language requirement is a difficult part of it, I understand. However, you cannot fail completely here. No French you learn will be a wasted effort. Should you fail the job exam (and I wish you not to, just thinking here), you will still have a wonderful skill that will bring you both joy and money. There are tons of employers eager to get a real French second language speaker they can rely on. And you will certainly have more skills to offer than just the language, you must have learnt so much on the bumpy road to a good job! Sure, I cannot imagine how hard must finding a decent job in Greece be. However, a C1 or C2 certificate is one of the few quite sure ways to make your language studies pay off in general.

DALF could be a nice backup, or at least a part of it. I treat my languages like this too.

P.S. I loved that part I've bolded. I think that is a pretty sure first step to success. :-)
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:52 pm

.If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:39 am

Thank you. I agree that knowledge is a precious thing nobody can take away, and we pursue it for its own sake as well. It's just that I am sick of always hoping and dreaming and planning... Yes, I can take the job exam every year, and the French test twice a year. So I can feel a bit less of the pressure and a bit more of the pleasure. As Plato said, knowledge creates happiness. That's what I want, really (plus a job).

Cavesa, happy to see you determined and steadfast despite difficulties and adversity. You seem like a strong and very intelligent person to me. Your comments are always useful and welcome. We could share some stories, I know...

Meanwhile we are having a disaster in progress here, as there have been several fires raging and many people dead. Not to mention the disaster of trees gone, or the countless homes burnt. So far over 50 dead, and counting. The fire brigade are heroes, understaffed, seriously underpaid, jobless most of the year many of them. The volunteers also haven't stopped battling with fire, or fishing people out of the sea with every boat out since last night. It puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

I wish they catch the arsenists and accuse them of nothing short of mass murder.
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:40 am

I hadn't seen the news about the fires. My thoughts are with your countrymen. Fires near populated areas like that are such a terrible thing :(

I have no idea what it's like getting a job in Greece, but most things in life are a numbers game. As long as you keep swinging at the good things, you'll get the hits. Good things come along for people who are working in a positive direction, even if it's not what you originally saw. Or it might be in fact exactly what you envisioned.. can't give up halfway to the goal.

(Wait since I'm already butchering sports metiphors)

If you want a slam dunk, you can't be on the bench when it's down to the wire. You've gotta expand your wheelhouse so you don't drop the ball. Swing for the fences. It's time for the full court press so come November you're not relying on a Hail Mary.

Sorry that was every sports metiphor I could come up with.. and you probably don't follow American sports so .. I have no idea if those are global expressions or not. Just trying to be encouraging. :)
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:12 am

How about this one?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky
6 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 am

Mission accomplished, Ani. Thanks for making me smile today :D
1 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:46 am

We've reached 81 dead, many wounded and many missing, which is horrifying. The individual stories are heartbreaking. I hear there are many fires all over Europe these days. I hope things end soon, because this has been such a waste of life and nature. Kudos to the people who rushed to help before the state ever organized anything that day, and to everyone that has already sent so much food, water and clothes for those afflicted that we were told officially to stop sending things for now. To the people who keep giving blood (we even saw Turks who live here giving blood), and to the people who decided to open their homes to those who are now homeless.

As for French I'll try to study harder, but so far I am not satisfied. I still can't produce proper French, although I understand very well. At this point it feels like I will never get out of my present level. I can only keep trying.

Maybe I should be translating already. In parallel with my grammar I mean. There are so many free books on composition from the internet archive, old ones with plenty of texts for translation. Maybe I should translate my way through one of them + grammar + drills. Right now I am all theory and no action.
1 x

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt

Postby renaissancemedici » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:41 am

I am trying out the learn by translation method, and I managed only two sentences (probably wrong...), but I feel that if I do this every day the benefits will be great.

This is an old book so the exercises can be odd... Never mind.

Exercise 1
1. Numbers of the citizens climbed upon the roof and killed all the prisoners. Un grand nombre de citoyens montèrent sur le toit et tuèrent tous les prisonniers.

2. Neither seemed inclined to break the silence. Ni l’un ni l’autre semblait encliné à rompre le silence.

0 x

Return to “Language logs”