Asarena's Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Asarena
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (Intermediate), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 95b1dac51f

10/30/18

Postby Asarena » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:51 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I finished watching episode 5 of New Journey to the West 5 and watched episode 101 of Let's Eat Dinner Together.

Audio: I listened to two Iyagis.

Reading: I finished volume 10 of Fruits Basket and started volume 11.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ Today's KGIU lesson was about -(느)ㄴ다니까.

SC Progress:
Films- 16,916/9000 minutes (+170)
Books- 997/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

10/31/18

Postby Asarena » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched episode 99 of Let's Eat Dinner Together and an NCT 127 Dispatch video.

Audio: I listened to two Iyagis and an episode of NCT Night Night.

Reading: I read more of Fruits Basket.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ Today's KGIU lessons was about -(느)ㄴ다면서.

SC Progress:
Films- 17,056/9000 minutes (+140)
Books- 1007/5000 pages (+10)
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

11/1/18

Postby Asarena » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:51 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I started watching episode 103 of Let's Eat Dinner Together, and I watched an NCT 127 Dispatch video, Stray Kids on Idol Radio, and a Stray Kids Dingo video.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I did the last lesson in chapter 2 of KGIU advanced and the chapter quiz. The last lesson in the chapter was about 에 의하면.

SC Progress:
Films- 17,243/9000 minutes (+187)
Books- 1017/5000 pages (+10)
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

11/2/18

Postby Asarena » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:29 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I finished watching episode 103 of Let's Eat Dinner Together, watched NCT 127's episode of A Song For You, and started watching episode 81 of Let's Eat Dinner Together.

Audio: I listened to two Iyagis and an episode of NCT Night Night. Also, Exo released a new album, so I listened to that a lot.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I started the first lesson of chapter 3 of KGIU Advanced. Chapter 3 is about expressing nominalization, and the first lesson is about -(으)ㅁ. This lesson has a lot of new vocabulary, so I'm taking some time to put all of it into Anki and such before moving on.

SC Progress:
Films- 17,355/9000 minutes (+112)
Books- 1027/5000 pages (+10)
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

11/3/18

Postby Asarena » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:57 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched a Stray Kids Vlive and episode 18 of LAN Life.

Reading: I finished volume 11 of Fruits Basket and started volume 12.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I'm still working through the new vocabulary from lesson 1 of chapter 3 of KGIU Advanced.

SC Progress:
Films- 17,478/9000 minutes (+123)
Books- 1037/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

koolawant
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (B2-C1*)

JLPT N2 Certified

Re: Asarena's Korean Log

Postby koolawant » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:29 am

I really enjoy reading your log! You've almost done a double super challenge in the listening section as well, incredibly impressive!

I'm sorry if it's be asked before, but where in the world do you find the time to study so much everyday???? Seeing your progress makes me want to step up my game :lol:
2 x
: 6343 / 50000 50,000 pages read / Japanese

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 pm

koolawant wrote:I really enjoy reading your log! You've almost done a double super challenge in the listening section as well, incredibly impressive!

I'm sorry if it's be asked before, but where in the world do you find the time to study so much everyday???? Seeing your progress makes me want to step up my game :lol:

Yes, I'm also very jealous. Can't imagine logging that many hours or being able to actually read books or understand any listening resources. Sometimes learning Korean really feels like climbing a steep mountain and never arriving at the top...
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:54 am

koolawant wrote:I really enjoy reading your log! You've almost done a double super challenge in the listening section as well, incredibly impressive!

Well, rather than finding the time, it's more like the time is just there for me I guess. If I weren't studying Korean during that time then I'd probably just be watching videos, reading, playing games, or such anyway. I really enjoy studying Korean though, so I'm happy to use my time on it rather than other things.

Christi wrote:Yes, I'm also very jealous. Can't imagine logging that many hours or being able to actually read books or understand any listening resources. Sometimes learning Korean really feels like climbing a steep mountain and never arriving at the top...

Honestly, my understanding isn't that great either. It kind of comes in waves. For example, when I'm reading Fruits Basket I might understand almost everything for awhile, but then I'll run into a few pages (or more) where I can barely even follow what's going on. Then with listening, I might, for example, understand a fair amount of one episode of NCT Night Night, but then I might barely understand most of a different episode. Then there are also times in an episode where I'll understand one thing they say, but then I won't understand the next thing, and so on. It feels frustrating at times, but I just try to focus on the positives. For example, if I hear or see a grammar point or word that I recently learned and can understand it, then I feel really happy. Like, I wouldn't have been able to understand that a few days ago, but now I can! It's a really good feeling, and it helps me know that my effort is paying off. The top of the Korean learning mountain is definitely a long way off, but at least I'm getting closer, even if it is a slow climb.
2 x

Asarena
Green Belt

11/4/18

Postby Asarena » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:59 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched an Exo Twitter Blueroom video and Stray Kids X Answering Vending Machine.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched NCT 127's Mugi-Box episode. I'm always hesitant to watch things that might be subbed at some point without subs, but I really felt like watching something with NCT yesterday, so I went ahead and watched it. It worked out well in the end because was actually able to understand most of it. If it does get subbed I'll definitely still rewatch it though because there were some parts I couldn't fully understand.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I'm still working on vocabulary from the first lesson of chapter 3 of KGIU Advanced. If a lot of lessons in the KGIU Advanced book have this much vocabulary that I don't know then I think it's going to take awhile to work through it all. It's okay though. I'll just have to keep working on it.

SC Progress:
Films- 17,624/9000 minutes (+146)
Books- 1047/5000 pages (+10)
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

11/5/18

Postby Asarena » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:00 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I started watching episode 1 of New Journey to the West 6, and I watched episode 9 of The Great Escape and episode 3 of Seasonies Would Like This Too. If you're wondering what happened to New Journey of the West 5, well, season 6 started in the middle of the last episode. It's best not to question it.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I finally finished lesson 1 of chapter 3 of KGIU Advanced.

SC Progress:
Films- 17,797/9000 minutes (+173)
Books- 1057/5000 pages (+10)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”