Asarena's Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Asarena
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (Intermediate), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 95b1dac51f

Re: Asarena's Korean Log

Postby Asarena » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:58 am

So, this isn't really related to learning Korean, but I thought it would be nice to write about my first experience with language learning. Korean isn't actually the first foreign language that I tried to learn. The first one was Spanish in my first two years of high school. I didn't actually learn Spanish in the end though. You see, in high school we had to take two years of a foreign language. At my school the options were Spanish and French. After giving it some thought I decided on Spanish. I originally planned to take four years of Spanish instead of just the minimum two. However, something happened that changed that plan. The first year was relatively fine. The teacher was a bit meh, but he was actually fired after that year anyway. They then hired another Spanish teacher, who I ended up having as my teacher in my second year. She was nice, and everything was going well in class at first, but she was pregnant. Eventually, she left on maternity leave. That was when everything went wrong. Obviously we needed a substitute teacher right? Well, we got one of those of course. There was a tiny problem though. The substitute teacher didn't speak Spanish. Actually, according to my father's memory, the school did try to find a substitute that knew Spanish, but I don't remember that, so I can't say whether or not that part is true. So, we had a substitute Spanish teacher that didn't know Spanish. Obviously she couldn't teach us Spanish, so she just gave us bookwork and worksheets to do. There was another problem though. Our textbook definitely wasn't meant for self study, so we couldn't learn much of anything from it. We tried at first to do our work and learn what we needed to, but after failing everyone just started to slowly give up on it. It clearly wasn't going to work. Another annoying thing was that the substitute was our principal's mother, so sometimes she would come in to chat with her mother. Then, in the end, we still had our final exam right? Pretty much everyone in our class failed that, including me. Then the substitute and principal actually had the audacity to ask us why we did so badly. We were all so angry when we heard that. Luckily, after hearing our complaints(and probably the complaints of some parents as well), I think they let us pass the class, but still it was just so frustrating. I mean, there was actually a different Spanish teacher at the school, and all of the students who had her had learned everything they should have. Thinking of that, I decided to not take any more years of Spanish. How could I take the third year when I hadn't learned the material from the second year? I thought about trying to learn Spanish again on my own later, but just thinking about it reminded me of that failure of a Spanish class, so I never did. I'm learning Korean now though, so all's well that ends well~
2 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:20 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched episode two of Stray Kids' K-log, episode five of The 9th Season 2, episode eleven of Unexpected Q, and episode three of NCT Life in Bangkok.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched more of the Mario Odyssey playthrough. I kind of feel like starting a different playthrough, but I'm not sure which one I want to watch.

Audio: I listened to my daily Iyagis. Also, I'm still listening to Kpop songs as usual. I've been listening to the songs from Seventeen's new mini album since yesterday. I was also in the mood to listen to NCT Dream's songs today, so I ended up listening to their songs for awhile.

Reading: I read a bit more of the webtoon.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: I did these.

SC Progress:
Films- 1693/9000 minutes (+225)
Books- 63/5000 pages (+5)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:17 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched two NCT Vlives and episode four of NCT Life in Bangkok

Unsubbed Videos: I watched more of the Super Mario Odyssey playthrough, and I also started on another playthrough from the same person. The one I just started is Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World. I never actually played that version of the game. I only played the regular Yoshi's Woolly World. It's mostly the same though as far as I can tell.

Audio: I listened to two Iyagis. Also, I had a rare day where I didn't listen to any music at all. Usually I feel like listening to music at certain times during the day, but that didn't happen today.

Reading: I'm still reading that webtoon.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: I did these as usual.

SC Progress:
Films- 1973/9000 minutes (+280)
Books- 73/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:05 pm

Here's my log for yesterday~ I think from now on the log that I post each day will be the previous day's log.

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched a Stray Kids Vlive.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched more of the Yoshi playthrough. I'm taking a break from the Mario playthrough.

Audio: I listened to my daily Iyagis.

Reading: I read more of the webtoon.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: I did all of these.

SC Progress:
Films- 2160/9000 minutes (+187)
Books- 83/5000 pages (+10)

At some point yesterday I happened to look at the Kindle app on my iPad. I was reminded once again of the Korean Kindle books I bought through the past few years, namely:
Korean Made Simple
Korean Made Simple 2
Elementary Korean
Elementary Korean Workbook
500 Basic Korean Verbs
Korean for Beginners: Mastering Conversational Korean

I never use any of them though. I also have Easy Spanish Step-By-Step and Learning Chinese Characters in my Kindle ebook collection. I don't know when I'll use those, but maybe someday.
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched a Stray Kids Vlive, The Boyz x Eating Show, and part of Seventeen x Eating Show.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched more of the Yoshi Playthrough.

Reading: I didn't read anything.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: I did these.

SC Progress:
Films- 2381/9000 minutes (+221)
Books- 83/5000 pages (+0)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:01 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: Seventeen x Eating Show, LAN Life Ep 1, and NCT Life in Bangkok Ep 5

Unsubbed Videos: Yoshi playthrough

Audio: Two Iyagis

Reading: 놓지마 정신줄

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: Did these

SC Progress:
Films- 2713/9000 minutes (+332)
Books- 93/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:56 pm

My grandfather passed away early Monday morning, so I haven't done much studying the past week. For the most part I just did my daily Anki reviews, Lingodeer reviews, and journal entries. I watched some stuff as well, but I didn't keep track of any of it. I do have my stuff from last Sunday that I noted down at the time, so I'll probably post that log tomorrow. I'm going to get back to studying and logging in general tomorrow~
2 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 am

Here's my log from last Sunday.

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched episode 12 of Unexpected Q and episode 1 of the new NCT Life season.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched some of the Yoshi playthrough.

Reading: I didn't read anything.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: I did those.

SC Progress:
Films- 2913/9000 minutes (+200)
Books- 93/5000 pages (+0)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:54 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched some NCT Vlives, episodes 3 and 4 of the new NCT Life season, and Stray Kids [INTRO: I am WHO] EP.01.

Unsubbed Videos: N/A

Reading: I started reading the webtoon again.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer:

SC Progress:
Films- 3048/9000 minutes (+135)
Books- 103/5000 pages (+10)
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:45 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched a Seventeen Vlive, episode 13 of Unexpected Q, episode 4 of LAN Life, and episode 5 of the new NCT Life season.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched a little bit of the Yoshi playthrough.

Reading: Read more of the webtoon

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer:

SC Progress:
Films- 3271/9000 minutes (+223)
Books- 113/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”