Asarena's Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Asarena
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (Intermediate), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 95b1dac51f

9/2/18

Postby Asarena » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:34 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched a Stray Kids Vlive, episode 1 of You Quiz on the Block, episode 3 of SKZ's Honey-Tips, episodes 7 and 8 of Two Kids Room, and episodes 7-9 of Travel the World on Exo's Ladder.

Unsubbed Videos: N/A

Audio: Two Iyagis

Reading: Webtoon

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I finished chapter 13 of KGIU Intermediate. Today's lesson was about -다가.

SC Progress:
Films- 7595/9000 minutes (+121)
Books- 438/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Re: Asarena's Korean Log

Postby Asarena » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched an NCT Dream Vlive, a Stray Kids Vlive, and episodes 10-14 of Travel the World on Exo's Ladder.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched another short Vlive video after reading through the subtitles. There were more words I didn't know in this one, and the English subtitles didn't really match up well with the Korean subtitles, so I just closed the English subtitles and looked up the words I didn't know on Naver Dictionary.

Audio: I listened to two Iyagis, and I listened to NCT Night Night in the background while I was playing a game.

Reading: I read more of the webtoon, and I also read a short news article on a children's news site. I have a blog post with some Korean reading sources bookmarked on my iPad, and this site is one of the ones listed on it. It's also where I found the webtoon that I've been reading. The news article was about the government adding safety devices in school buses for preschoolers, elementary school students, and special education students. I also read a bit of an article from another site listed in that blog post. Rather than news, that site seems to be more about people's stories and such. The article I started reading is about a woman who didn't want to become a mother like her mother.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I started chapter 14 of KGIU Intermediate. This chapter is about "expressing degree", and the first lesson was about -(으)ㄹ 정도로.

SC Progress:
Films- 7769/9000 minutes (+174)
Books- 448/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

9/4/18

Postby Asarena » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched a Stray Kids Vlive, episode 91 of Let's Eat Dinner Together, and episodes 15 and 16 of Travel the World on Exo's Ladder.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched an NCT Vlive. A lot of it was just them talking about how great the weather was and such.

Reading: I read more of the webtoon, and I read through the Korean subtitles of another Vlive. I didn't actually feel like watching the Vlive though, so I didn't.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ Today's KGIU lesson was about N만 하다.

SC Progress:
Films- 7923/9000 minutes (+154)
Books- 458/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

9/5/18

Postby Asarena » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:00 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched episode 88 of Let's Eat Dinner Together and part of NCT Dream "Dream Camp."

Unsubbed Videos: I watched NCT Dream's appearance on a radio show, and I started watching 대도서관's Mario Odyssey playthrough.

Audio: I listened to two Iyagis.

Reading: I read more of the webtoon, and I read two more short news articles from the children's news site. One of them was about the leaves changing colors late this year, and the other was about a self-driving bus.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I finished chapter 14 of KGIU Intermediate. The last lesson in the chapter was about -(으)ㄴ/는/(으)ㄹ 만큼.

SC Progress:
Films- 8129/9000 minutes (+206)
Books- 468/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

9/6/18

Postby Asarena » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched an NCT Vlive, Stray Kids' appearance on Show Champion: Curtain Talk, Stray Kids' appearance on a radio show, episode 2 of You Quiz on the Block, and episode 96 of Let's Eat Dinner Together.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I started chapter 15 of KGIU. Chapter 15 is about "expressing choice", and the first lesson was about 아무+(이)나 and 아무+도.

SC Progress:
Films- 8368/9000 minutes (+239)
Books- 478/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

9/7/18

Postby Asarena » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:47 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched NCT Dream's appearance on Weekly Idol, NCT Recording Diary #4, SKZ-Talker Ep. 4, and an NCT Dream Vlive.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: Yesterday was kind of a busy day, so I only did my journal entry, the Naver Dictionary conversation, my Lingodeer review, and my Anki reviews. I didn't do KGIU or add any new cards to Anki.

SC Progress:
Films- 8480/9000 minutes (+112)
Books- 488/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

9/8/18

Postby Asarena » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:59 pm

Eng Subbed Videos:I watched episode 10 of LAN Life. There were new quests this week, which was nice. I like the original guests as well, but it's good to have some variety. I also "watched" NCT Dream's appearance on NCT Night Night. It wasn't a viewable radio, so the video just consisted of a still background image, the audio from the radio, and subtitles.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ Today's KGIU lesson was about another meaning of (이)나.

SC Progress:
Films- 8629/9000 minutes (+149)
Books- 498/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

9/9/18

Postby Asarena » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:46 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched episode 18 of Unexpected Q and part of NCT Dream's Mugi-Box episode. I also watched a bunch of short Stray Kids videos.

Audio: I listened to two Iyagis.

Reading: I read more of the webtoon.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ Today's KGIU lesson was about (이)라도.

SC Progress:
Films- 8761/9000 minutes (+132)
Books- 508/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Postby Bunnychu » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:19 am

Wow, you seem to be making nice progress with KGIU. Seeing your progress I think my pace might be a bit too slow with the book. How do you approach studying grammar? Do you also take notes?
I'm really curious how other learners go about the grammar because I haven't yet found the best approach to make everything stick. :mrgreen:
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:19 am

Bunnychu wrote:Wow, you seem to be making nice progress with KGIU. Seeing your progress I think my pace might be a bit too slow with the book. How do you approach studying grammar? Do you also take notes?
I'm really curious how other learners go about the grammar because I haven't yet found the best approach to make everything stick. :mrgreen:

Well, for each lesson I pretty much just do this:
1. Before listening to the first conversation in the lesson, I skip ahead and read the grammar explanation.
2. I then go back and listen to the audio for the first set of conversations. I then listen to the audio again while reading the text. Then, finally, I read the conversations myself out loud. I'll also check the English translations of a sentence if I'm not sure I completely understood it.
3. I read through the lesson, reading all of the example sentences both to myself and out loud. I make sure I understand all of the example sentences. If I'm confused about any of the explanations in the book in any way then I search the grammar point online and read another description or two until I understand it.
4. I repeat step two with the second set of conversations at the end of the lesson.
5. I do the questions at the end of the lesson and check my answers. Since I'm using a PDF of the book, I rewrite each question in my notebook, filling in the answer as I go. If I get a question wrong I make sure I understand why my answer was wrong and why the correct answer was the correct answer. I also do the chapter quiz if I've reached the end of a chapter.
6. I started off using Evita's grammar deck on Anki, and it had the KGIU Beginner grammar in it. Also, for a little while I also took notes of my own in a notebook while going through the beginner book. By the time I started doing KGIU Intermediate and had seen almost all of the cards in Evita's deck, I switched to adding the KGIU Intermediate sentences on to Evita's deck. Now I just use that deck for my notes. I cut out and put in the audio for the sentences that have audio, put in the sentences and their translations, and then I add any necessary notes to the note section of the card. I don't put in every example sentence, just whichever sentences I think will be the most helpful or such. I don't do the cards I add that day for the first time until the next day, and I don't read the notes every time I come across a card that has a note. I just read them as needed. The English translations are the same. I only look at them as needed. Also, I don't look at the cards right away, so that if a card has audio I can try to listen and understand just based on the audio first.
7. I also try to use grammar points I learned recently in my daily journal entry if I can, but that doesn't always happen.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”