Asarena's Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Asarena
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (Intermediate), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 95b1dac51f

2/18/19

Postby Asarena » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:10 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched a Stray Kids Vlive and episode 15 of season 4 of I Can See Your Voice.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched more of episode 2 of 무모한 도전.

Audio: I listened to three episodes of NCT Night Night.

Reading: I read more of Fairy Tail.

KGIU, Anki, daily Naver Dictionary conversation: ✓ I finished lesson 3 of chapter 18 of KGIU Advanced.

SC Progress:
Films- 20,000+/9000 minutes
Books- 2074/5000 pages (+10)

And now for some of the girl group songs I've been listening to lately:

0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

2/19/19

Postby Asarena » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:49 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched N'-80 and episode 4 of season 16 of I Can See Your Voice.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched an NCT Vlive and finished watching episode 2 of 무모한 도전.

Reading: I finished volume 22 of Fairy Tail and started volume 23.

KGIU, Anki, daily Naver Dictionary conversation: ✓ I did lesson 4 of chapter 18 of KGIU Advanced and the chapter quiz. Lesson 4 was about -데요. Also, I had been taking the time to get audio from Forvo and such for my Anki vocab cards, but it was too time consuming, so I decided to just start using AwesomeTTS for audio instead.

SC Progress:
Books- 2084/5000 pages (+10)

I tried watching WayV videos with Korean subs, but it didn't work out so well. I can only read like half of a subtitle before the next one appears. My Korean reading speed needs some serious work I feel, so for now I'll have to stick with English subtitles for WayV videos. However, there's a fun thing I've started doing while watching videos that are in Mandarin. It's noticing words that are similar to their Sino-Korean counterparts! I've identified six so far.
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

2/20/19 & 2/21/19

Postby Asarena » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:52 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I finished watching episode 37 of Omniscient Interfering View and watched episode 2 of season 4 of The 9th.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched episode 9 of My English Puberty 100 Hours.

KGIU, Anki, daily Naver Dictionary conversation: ✓ I started lesson 1 of chapter 19 of KGIU Advanced. This chapter is about expressing situations and standards, and the first lesson is about -는 가운데.

SC Progress:
Books- 2094/5000 pages (+10)

-

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched N'-81 and part of episode 38 of Omniscient Interfering View.

Korean Subbed Videos: I rewatched an NCT Vlive.

Audio: I listened to two episodes of NCT Night Night.

KGIU, Anki, daily Naver Dictionary conversation: ✓ I finished lesson 1 of chapter 19 of KGIU Advanced.

SC Progress:
Books- 2104/5000 pages (+10)
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

2/22/19

Postby Asarena » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:05 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I finished watching episode 38 of Omniscient Interfering View.

Reading: I finished volume 23 of Fairy Tail and started volume 24.

KGIU, Anki, daily Naver Dictionary conversation: ✓ I started lesson 2 of chapter 19 of KGIU Advanced. This lesson is about -는 마당에.

SC Progress:
Books- 2114/5000 pages (+10)
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

2/23/19

Postby Asarena » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:27 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched episode 6 of season 6 of I Can See Your Voice and episode 2 of season 2 of Village Survival, the Eight.

Korean Subbed Videos: I rewatched part of an NCT Vlive.

KGIU, Anki, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, weekly writing: ✓ I finished lesson 2 of chapter 19 of KGIU Advanced.

SC Progress:
Films- 20,000+/9000 minuteshttps://youtu.be/OmetCO_ZFnI
Books- 2124/5000 pages (+10)

Some songs from Korean bands that I've been listening to lately:

1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

2/24/19

Postby Asarena » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:33 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched a Stray Kids Vlive, an NCT Vlive, and episode 17 of season 4 of I Can See Your Voice.

Korean Subbed Videos: I finished rewatching the NCT Vlive that I started watching on Saturday.

KGIU, Anki, daily Naver Dictionary conversation: ✓ I started lesson 3 of chapter 19 of KGIU Advanced. This lesson is about 치고.

SC Progress:
Books- 2134/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Re: Asarena's Korean Log

Postby Asarena » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:24 am

I'm going to take a break from my daily logging. In the meantime, these are some of my plans for the immediate future.

Grammar
I have eight lessons left in the KGIU Advanced book. My goal is to get through all of them within the next week. The reason it's been taking so long to get through this book is because of all of the new vocabulary words I encounter, but I'm not going to worry about keeping up with vocabulary too much anymore for the remainder of the book. I'll just keep a list of the new words I encounter in the remaining lessons and add them to Anki whenever I get to them. After I finish KGIU, I think I'll just study new grammar points as I encounter them instead of working through another grammar book, website, or such. Studying grammar has been fun though, so I definitely think working through the KGIU books was a good choice.

Anki
At the moment, my vocabulary deck just contains basic and reverse cards that have a word, its definition, audio, and a picture on them. I want to look into some things like subs2srs, cloze deletion cards, and such more. Cloze deletion cards are particularly something that I'd like to try for vocabulary. Currently, my vocabulary deck is at 6,252 notes, and I'm getting kind of bored of the basic card format. It'll be good to mix things up a bit. Also, I've been rewatching a few NCT Vlives recently with Korean subtitles, and I seem to know the majority of the words in those Vlives, so it might be good to make cloze deletion cards for the words that I don't know in those Vlives when they crop up.

Reading
Yesterday I started looking for some new manga to read, and I found a few that I like. I know there are some Korean ebooks that you can buy on Google Play, so I might try to find some novels to read as well. I don't really know where to start with that though.

My log from yesterday:
Eng Subbed Videos: I watched episode 9 of Kids These Days and an NCT Vlive.

Audio: I listened to an episode of NCT Night Night.

Reading: I read some of 느긋캠프 and some of 이국의 소녀.

KGIU, Anki, daily Naver Dictionary conversation: ✓ I finished lesson 3 of chapter 19 of KGIU Advanced.

SC Progress:
Books- 2144/5000 pages (+10)
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:56 am

ロータス wrote:This whole time I thought you were adding the grammar sentences to Anki. Do you just read over the lesson, add the new vocab, do the questions at the end and go on to the next?

I do add the sentences to Anki, but I add the to my grammar deck (originally Evita's deck), not my vocabulary deck.
0 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:12 am

ロータス wrote:Ah gotcha. For the short time I've been doing them, I have enjoyed cloze deletion tho I don't think I'm doing it right because I have the audio on the front and no English translation xD I think suko has a method of getting Vlives into Anki if you check out their log. Also have you noticed any of the grammar you studied from KGIU Adv out in the wild such as your readings and shows? Or maybe when you finish the book, can you post a review of it? Don't see many people go through all of the Adv book so I'm curious on what you think :3

Yeah, I've seen suko's log and their method. I'll have to look into that more too. I've definitely seen/heard some of the grammar points I've learned from the KGIU Advanced book in manga, on NCT Night Night, etc. Some of the ones that I remember hearing/seeing recently are -는 김에, -다시피, -듯이, -길래, and -(느)ㄴ다는 것이/게. There are definitely more than that that I've encountered as well though. I don't know if I'd be very good at writing a review, but I think it's a pretty good book. At least some of the grammar seems to be used fairly often, and some of it is said to be used more often in writing, news reports, and such, so if I interacted more with those forms of media then I might see those grammar points more often as well.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”