Asarena's Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Asarena
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (Intermediate), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 95b1dac51f

Re: Asarena's Korean Log

Postby Asarena » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:40 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I finished episode seven of Hyori's Bed and Breakfast and watched episode eight. I've realized that this is the show I watch when I've caught up on watching everything else.

Unsubbed Videos: N/A

Audio: Two Iyagis

Reading: Webtoon

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: ✓ I finished chapter nine of KGIU Intermediate. I think I understand passive verbs fairly well.

SC Progress:
Films- 6207/9000 minutes (+149)
Books- 323/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:00 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched Stray Kids' episode of Idol Room, episode one of SKZ's Honey-Tips, episode three of Two Kids Room, and Stray Kids' appearance on a radio show. It was a Stray Kids day apparently.

Reading: I read more of the webtoon I've been reading. Also, I was reminded of something today. There was something my Language Arts teacher in my freshman year of high school had us do once, but at the time I didn't really learn anything from it. It went like this, one day we came into class and the teacher told us to read a short story. After a certain period of time, he told us to stop reading. We didn't do anything else with that story that day, so it seemed kind of random. However, the next day we went in and the teacher told us to read the same story again for the same length of time, so we did. Then the teacher asked us whether we'd gotten further in the story the second time. Apparently, the point was that we should have read it faster the second time. Everyone else in the class seemed to agree that they'd managed to read more of the story the second time. However, it didn't work for me because I had in fact finished reading the story both times. Maybe I read it faster the second time, but I didn't know why we were reading it, so I hadn't timed myself or anything like that. Anyway, I was reminded of it because I do notice that it's true with Korean. I may read a sentence slowly the first time, but I'll definitely read it faster the second time. It also reminded me of how I improved my reading speed in English. When I was little I would get a whole stack of children's books from the library each week, then when I was a little older I would read a chapter book or two per day, and then I started reading some young adult novels too when I was about nine or ten, and I would read one of those a day. The point is, I don't think I should expect my Korean reading speed to become nearly as fast as my English speed because I don't think I'll ever read half as many Korean books as I have English books.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: ✓ I started chapter 10 of KGIU Intermediate. This chapter is about causative verbs. I've already confused 먹히다(the passive form of 먹다) and 먹이다(the causative form of 먹다) once. I think I found a way to remember which is which now though. The reason it's confusing for me is because passive verbs use the affix -이/히/리/기- and causative verbs use the affix -이/히/리/기/우/추-, so for some verbs the passive and causative forms end up being the same, but for other verbs they're different.

SC Progress:
Films- 6339/9000 minutes (+132)
Books- 338/5000 pages (+15)
2 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:26 am

Eng Subbed Videos: Episode 9 of Hyori's Bed and Breakfast

Reading: I read more of the webtoon I've been reading. Also, I started to look around the site and found some more webtoons that I might like. I'll probably try to start one of those tomorrow.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: ✓ I finished chapter 10 of KGIU Intermediate. There were only two lessons in this chapter. Today's lesson was about -게 하다.

SC Progress:
Films- 6452/9000 minutes (+113)
Books- 348/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

Postby Asarena » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:59 pm

Here's my combined log for Saturday and Sunday.

Eng Subbed Videos: Episode 8 of LAN Life, episode 4 of Two Kids Room, and episode 17 of Unexpected Q.

Korean Subbed Videos: I've also been watching some short videos with Korean subtitles here and there. I think I can understand a little bit more with the subs than without, but I can't keep up with them very well.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched a little bit of NCT Dream's Mugi-Box episode.

Audio: Four Iyagis

Reading: I started reading a new webtoon, and I'm still reading the other one as well.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: ✓ Since I always seem to have less time on the weekends, I decided to just do one KGIU lesson this weekend. I did the first lesson in chapter 11. This chapter is about expressing conditions, and this lesson was about -아/어야.

SC Progress:
Films- 6676/9000 minutes (+224)
Books- 368/5000 pages (+20)
2 x

Asarena
Green Belt

8/27/18

Postby Asarena » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched NCT 127's cuts from the second episode of School Attack.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched more of NCT Dream's Mugi-Box episode.

Reading: Webtoons

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: ✓ I finished chapter 11 of KGIU Intermediate. Like chapter 10, it only had two lessons. The lesson I did today was about -거든.

SC Progress:
Films- 6762/9000 minutes (+86)
Books- 378/5000 pages (+10)
Last edited by Asarena on Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

8/28/18

Postby Asarena » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched episode 2 of SKZ-TALKER and episode 94 of Let's Eat Dinner Together.

Unsubbed Videos: I finished watching NCT Dream's Mugi-Box episode.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, and Lingodeer: ✓ I started chapter 12 of KGIU Intermediate. This chapter is about "expressing additional information." The first lesson was about -(으)ㄹ 뿐만 아니라.

SC Progress:
Films- 6926/9000 minutes (+164)
Books- 388/5000 pages (+10)

Also, on the Naver dictionary site they post a Korean conversation each day. I'd seen people mention them before, but I'd never gotten around to trying them myself. I finally checked it out today and did today's conversation. There's a short conversation that you listen to and read, and then you take a little quiz about it. I'll probably try to do these every day from now on.
2 x

Asarena
Green Belt

8/29/18

Postby Asarena » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched a clip from an episode of Hello Counselor, a Stray Kids Vlive, episode 2 of SKZ's Honey-Tips, and I started episode 92 of Let's Eat Dinner Together.

Audio: One Iyagi

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, Lingodeer, and Naver Dictionary's daily Korean conversation: ✓ Today's KGIU lesson was about -(으)ㄴ/는 데다가. I learned the word 끼어들다 from today's Naver Dictionary conversation.

SC Progress:
Films- 7007/9000 minutes (+81)
Books- 398/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

8/30/18

Postby Asarena » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:27 am

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched episodes 5 and 6 of Two Kids Room, and I watched more of episode 92 of Let's Eat Dinner Together.

Unsubbed Videos: I watched a bit of one of 대도서관's videos.

Audio: I listened to two Iyagis, and NCT Dream released a new song, so I listened to that a lot. Also, after reading the lyrics I can understand most of the song, so that's nice.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ Today's KGIU Lesson was about 조차. Also, I've been doing 15-20 new words on Anki lately instead of my usual 10. It seems to be fine so far, but if it gets too difficult for me then I'll just drop back to 10.

SC Progress:
Films- 7129/9000 minutes (+122)
Books- 408/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

8/31/18

Postby Asarena » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:08 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I finished episode 92 of Let's Eat Dinner Together and watched episode 95.

Audio: One Iyagi

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I finished chapter 12 of KGIU Intermediate. The last lesson in this chapter was about 만 해도.

SC Progress:
Films- 7271/9000 minutes (+142)
Books- 418/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Asarena
Green Belt

9/1/18

Postby Asarena » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Eng Subbed Videos: I watched an NCT Dream Vlive, a Stray Kids Vlive, episode 3 of SKZ-Talker, episode 9 of LAN Life, and episodes 1-6 of Travel the World on Exo's Ladder.

Unsubbed Videos: I tried something with Vlive today. Some videos on Vlive have both English and Korean subtitles, so I thought I'd try to make use of that. There's a site where you can download subtitles from Vlive videos, but instead of downloading them I can just use that site to open the .VTT files in separate tabs on my iPad, so I opened the Korean subtitles for a short Vlive video in one tab and the English subtitles in another. With both tabs open, I read through the Korean subtitles and looked at the English subtitles when I didn't entirely understand the Korean. After reading through it, I then went and watched the video without subtitles. It was a fun activity, so I might do it more often. Also, I learned the words 비치다 and 돋다.

KGIU, Anki, journal entry, daily Naver Dictionary conversation, Lingodeer: ✓ I started chapter 13 of KGIU Intermediate. This chapter is about "expressing mid-action", and the first lesson was about -는 길에.

SC Progress:
Films- 7474/9000 minutes (+203)
Books- 428/5000 pages (+10)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”