Tea With Tarvos - Tarvos' Log 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Tarvos' новый лог

Postby tarvos » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:54 pm

Ok, so my learning has been slow as of late but it doesn't hugely matter. Not much Korean work getting done apart from the writing a few messages thing, but that's ok, I've learned a few new structures and my regular teacher is back to work from tomorrow on, so I can do some more Korean in the coming weeks. I also ordered a Korean book that should come in at some point.

That aside, I've finished Second-Hand Time and moved on to Dispara, yo ya estoy muerto (which is a 900-page MONSTER). That's a historical novel, set partially in Warsaw, Paris, St. Petersburg and Jerusalem, and chronicles the family story of a Jew who has to flee his shtetl in Warsaw and then Russia during Czarist times. This novel, however, is fictional, unlike Second-Hand Time (which is actually more of a journalist's account of people's lives during and after the Cold War, especially during the transition from communism to, well, whatever Russia is nowadays). And it's also in Spanish, whereas Second-Hand Time was in Russian. (OK, I should have called it Время секонд-хэнд). Keep an eye out for the blog, I might just post something about that book on my blog in Russian.

I also bought Magda Szabó's The Door (Az ajtó), which is a Hungarian classic, but my Hungarian is pretty weaksauce and I won't be able to read THAT in the original without first spending two years learning the clusterf*ck that is Hungarian. And that would cost me as much time as Korean is taking up now, or like Chinese or Russian did back in the day. Ok, a little less maybe, because I've studied basic Hungarian before and know a few words.

I am also considering studying interpreting (not translation, interpreting!) at some point because a professional interpreter strongly recommended I do so - she thinks I would be phenomenal at it. I have no linguistic background at all, but I have found out I could potentially sit a few tests, depending on which language I would want to learn to interpret (Russian or Spanish are good candidates) and get a degree as an interpreter. Well, actually, knowing me, I'd interpret both. And English. And German, for good measure. Thing is, if I am going to go down that route - I'm going to have to get myself a few language certificates for the languages I'm not studying at the institute - which I am doing anyway, because I am studying Spanish to that end right now. And if I can just get a C2 for Spanish, then once I finish at the institute I will probably be able to offer intepreting services for English, Spanish and Russian - and who knows what I can add later on? German? French? Jinghpaw? South Ossetian? (Ok, maybe not the latter two.)

And I can of course interpret Esperanto for you. But you don't need me to do that, because you can learn Esperanto in a month yourself.
3 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:03 pm

tarvos wrote:I am also considering studying interpreting (not translation, interpreting!) at some point because a professional interpreter strongly recommended I do so - she thinks I would be phenomenal at it.

I chuckled at that because most of the time when I mention translation to people as a potential career path they assume I mean interpreting unless the person I'm talking to is a linguist. I'm fairly interested in technical translation and far from interested in interpreting.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:18 pm

Thing is, I don't have trouble speaking in public, I have had to switch between languages on a dime before (stress is part of the job), and I have the linguistic ability to do it. It also earns somewhat more money (which would be VERY welcome in my case).

That, and professionals seem to think I should be able to do it. So perhaps it's worth considering.

I find technical translation to be interesting but a little too boring for me to do all day. I think I need more adrenaline in my life.
0 x

Is a girl.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:07 pm

See I just don't enjoy the public speaking aspect of interpreting (or the private speaking part I suppose). Switching languages is very easy for me, but yeah, I just don't enjoy the pressure that comes with interpreting, which is fine. I was, for a very long time, interested in ASL interpreting but when I decided that I wanted to eventually move to Europe that idea more or less got thrown out the window. I'm sure there is a niche market for ASL-German interpreters and likely a larger one for ASL-French interpreters but I have no real desire to fill that void (and I'd have to add on French and ASL for those options).

Technical translation is, conveniently, where most of the translation jobs are. Also convenient is that technical translation, in general, peaks my interest a heck of a lot more than literary translation. If I were to really do translation I'd probably focus on medicine and computers/engineering. If I were doing English -> German translation health informatics would probably be very valuable. I love reading about medicine and I'm generally good at computer related things as long as I actually keep up with it.

I'd say if you're interested in translation you should totally pursue it. It's always nice when someone who is a professional in a field that you are even tangentially interested in thinks that you'd also be good at it. If you were to get a degree in interpeting (which I think is smart for a lot of reasons) you would definitely have to show that you have C1 or C2 proficiency in the form of a language test. That said I have no doubt that you could pass those tests in at least some of your L2s if you needed to.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 pm

деловая колбаса

I tried to review Second Hand Time and insert some humour at the same time. NOT SURE I SUCCEEDED, BUT HERE IS YOUR LINK. And keep funny comments to the blog because there is some political content.
0 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:00 pm

Five things I learned from a 30-minute Bulgarian iTalki session

For those who want to know how I deal with my weaker languages.
2 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:11 pm

I've nearly finished another Spanish book. Well, when I say nearly I still have almost 200 pages to read, but the book is about 900. That sounds about right. When I finish this one I will work on my Korean book.
0 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 am

I've finished my Spanish book and moved on to Korean. The problem right now is that I am working so hard I don't have that much time for languages (although I use some of them regularly still such as Russian). I am reading a Korean comic book with English translations right now, and it's helping me broaden my vocabulary, although my listening skill in Korean is lagging.
1 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:24 am

I forgot to post that it was my birthday on Thursday. But I haven't gotten many language-related presents this year, so we may as well skip this information. The past week has been extremely busy and the coming week is dominated by hospital visits and other unpleasantries, so I think it will take a while for me to get up to speed.
0 x

Is a girl.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:20 am

tarvos wrote:I forgot to post that it was my birthday on Thursday.
Happy Birthday!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”