Tea With Tarvos - Tarvos' Log 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Tarvos' новый лог

Postby tarvos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm

http://wp.me/p52UBG-dk

And with that I have also written my first ever Czech blog post. And I don't yet need corrections, I think we're going to correct the errors later in my Czech class, but if you're going to do so anyway, it might be nice, because then I can eliminate a few before I get heavily criticized, hah.

The article is about deadnaming (something nasty people do to transfolk). Please read it and make sure you are not one of those people who deadnames. Deadnaming doesn't just hurt, it can lead to very nasty situations in trans people's lives.
4 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:53 pm

tarvos wrote:http://wp.me/p52UBG-dk

And with that I have also written my first ever Czech blog post. And I don't yet need corrections, I think we're going to correct the errors later in my Czech class, but if you're going to do so anyway, it might be nice, because then I can eliminate a few before I get heavily criticized, hah.

The article is about deadnaming (something nasty people do to transfolk). Please read it and make sure you are not one of those people who deadnames. Deadnaming doesn't just hurt, it can lead to very nasty situations in trans people's lives.

I'll look into it in more detail a bit later tonight. It looks good, and surely the ideas can be understood by any Czech despite the mistakes, well done.

A few general notes:
1.Declination. No matter what kind of methods you use to learn such stuff, I think you should tackle it as it would immediately move your Czech to another level.

2.Agreement. The same person and number applies to nouns, adjectives, verbs, and you cannot just change it in the middle of the sentence. It applies also to vykání and tykání. Představte si.... že máš možnost

3.Interpunction. This is something quite hard in Czech. It is based on analysis and not that easy to learn even for many natives. I'd recommend writing shorter sentences for now. In general, I am under the impression that English tends to create longer sentences than Czech. When I write in Czech after a longer time of writing only in English, I always notice a tendency to construct sentence monsters. Yes, I can handle my interpunction, but it just sounds more natural, when I chop stuff down a bit.

4.Not Czech vocab. "Dla" is not Czech, perhaps Russian. "Farce" is English, and shouldn't be mixed into the text. Deadnaming is ok (the use of the term, not as the action), as it is a new term Czech is likely to adopt.

5.abychom and the rest of the sentence. Abychom bojovali would be technically correct. But in this sentence, the easiest and most natural is "nepotřebujeme bojovat", with infinitive like in French (Nous n'avons pas besoin de lutter), but I am unsure whether the "potřebovat" is the best choice here as that is very English. Nechceme would be probably better. As the problem is, that you need to fight against the society, in order to get treated well. That is the "most Czech" meaning of potřebovat, especially in the context of this text. I'll put some more thought into it later.

6.Using the English term Czech has adopted correctly in a sentence is not easy. It is often not easy for the natives either, as the words are new. Example: že ne všichni jsou dělali svůj coming-out. First of all, jsou dělali, that isn't possible. Either jsou, either dělali. In case of coming-out, neither is being used. One option is"...,že ne všichni prošli coming-outem", which is a bit ear-hurting due to the Czech declination of an English term, despite it being gramatically correct. I would probably say "že ne všichni mají za sebou coming-out" or more naturally "že ne všichni mají už coming-out za sebou", I might perhaps add there "svůj", to put accent on the fact we are talking about their individual coming-out, not a collective one of their community. "že ne všichni už mají svůj coming out za sebou".
3 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:48 pm

1.Declination. No matter what kind of methods you use to learn such stuff, I think you should tackle it as it would immediately move your Czech to another level.

This is actually on my to do list, and it's mentioned in the coaching plan. We discussed that during the coaching session, and it's going to happen - the question is when. I'm juggling 15 languages, of which a fair few active ones. Don't worry - it'll happen soon. I just don't know exactly when yet. And the truth is - I actually haven't learned any declension tables for nouns/adjectives properly... at all. I have a vague idea of how it works because of Russian, but there are details there that I just screw up because I don't know them yet. Keep in mind that I've studied very, very little grammar and what you see here is the result of a whole lot of talking, input, and extrapolation from Russian. Grammar and specifically the noun endings are a thing I'm going to fix in the coming months before Bratislava - I did a similar exercise for Greek last year and it immediately raised my Greek a notch. It'll happen here too.

2.Agreement. The same person and number applies to nouns, adjectives, verbs, and you cannot just change it in the middle of the sentence. It applies also to vykání and tykání. Představte si.... že máš možnost

If I botched the agreement, that's bad news, but probably it would be fixed by better proofreading, as I wrote this in like an hour, and that's slow, especially because I'm writing Czech. I'll fix the silly agreement things because I noticed I was doing that the whole time and I actually wanted to use vy because I wanted to address a group of people (hence). The real problem here is referring back to problem number one.

The long sentence thing for me is a Dutch thing. In Dutch it's much more common, like it is in German. Hasn't got much to do with English.

4.Not Czech vocab. "Dla" is not Czech, perhaps Russian. "Farce" is English, and shouldn't be mixed into the text. Deadnaming is ok (the use of the term, not as the action), as it is a new term Czech is likely to adopt.

Dla was a borrowing of a preposition from Russian, where it's more like dlja, but I always forget which preposition is used in that case in Czech. In Russian для means something like for the good of someone, or for the benefit of someone or something, and it's an extremely common preposition there. I looked all over for a translation for deadnaming, but as it's a very specific term Czech doesn't seem to have a word for it and I certainly shouldn't be the one to coin it, hence also the translation in the text. Farce... I was looking for a different word there but I can't for the life of me remember what it's supposed to be now.

5.abychom and the rest of the sentence. Abychom bojovali would be technically correct. But in this sentence, the easiest and most natural is "nepotřebujeme bojovat", with infinitive like in French (Nous n'avons pas besoin de lutter), but I am unsure whether the "potřebovat" is the best choice here as that is very English. Nechceme would be probably better. As the problem is, that you need to fight against the society, in order to get treated well. That is the "most Czech" meaning of potřebovat, especially in the context of this text. I'll put some more thought into it later.

The reason I went for abychom (and I rewrote that sentence a few times anyways) was because I wanted to have an "in order to", a sense of purpose, thrown in. But I can imagine it sounds clunky as all hell.

6.Using the English term Czech has adopted correctly in a sentence is not easy. It is often not easy for the natives either, as the words are new. Example: že ne všichni jsou dělali svůj coming-out. First of all, jsou dělali, that isn't possible. Either jsou, either dělali. In case of coming-out, neither is being used. One option is"...,že ne všichni prošli coming-outem", which is a bit ear-hurting due to the Czech declination of an English term, despite it being gramatically correct. I would probably say "že ne všichni mají za sebou coming-out" or more naturally "že ne všichni mají už coming-out za sebou", I might perhaps add there "svůj", to put accent on the fact we are talking about their individual coming-out, not a collective one of their community. "že ne všichni už mají svůj coming out za sebou".

Hence why I put svůj there. I think this is partly collocation and partly the inability of Czech grammar to deal with foreign words. It's equally hard in Russian by the way, although informally people do use a lot of anglicisms. Does Czech not have a rule that modern loanwords are neuter and indeclinable? In Russian there's a rule like that, although most common anglicisms that end in a consonant still get declined. I really want to have the reflexive possessive pronoun in there, because the fact we are talking about individuals is rather important.
1 x

Is a girl.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:54 am

tarvos wrote:http://wp.me/p52UBG-dk

Dat wist ik niet, maar het is wel logisch wanneer je daarover denkt, dat het belangrijk is om de nieuwe naam te gebruiken en dat de oude heel slecht kan zijn. Trouwens heb ik google translate gebruikt om het Tsjechisch te begrijpen in jouw blog.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Het feit dat mensen weten dat je trans bent als je de veranderingen ondergaan hebt verandert hun omgangspatroon. Zodra ik door die transitie heen ben, wil ik het eigenlijk niet continu hoeven zeggen.
0 x

Is a girl.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:09 am

Hoe lang duurt zoiets? Moet je een bepaalde tijd wachten voordat ze de chirurgie doen, bv om vast te stellen dat je je mening niet veranderd? Als een man een vrouw wordt en dat duidelijk te zien is, dan kan ik me niet voorstellen dat de persoon een mannelijke naam wil. Maar namen zijn soms moeilijk, zoals op mijn werk met zoveel nationaliteiten, hoewel daar gebruikt iedereen alleen de voornaam en vaak weet je niet of die een mannelijk of vrouwelijke naam in hun taal is. Er zijn Chinees meisjes die op jongens lijken, dat is niet zelden, maar ik weet niet of ze trans zijn, natuurlijk vraag ik dit aan niemand.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Hoe lang zoiets duurt verschilt per land. In Nederland is het gebruikelijk dat je lang moet wachten, niet alleen om onzekerheid te voorkomen maar ook omdat hun denkwijze een beetje verouderd is. Het gaat niet alleen om chirurgie (en daar zijn er verschillende van), er is ook een heel hormonaal proces en psychologisch proces bij betrokken. Je moet rekenen op een proces dat een aantal jaar duurt (verschilt ook nog eens per geval). Wat betreft de naam, recent is in Nederland de regelgeving veranderd zodat je naam veranderen nu makkelijker is (en geen sterilisatie meer behoeft). Je moet nu een verklaring krijgen van een expert (meestal krijg je die na de diagnostische fase van het proces, maar al lang voor enige vorm van chirurgie) en dan kun je naar je geboortegemeente gaan en dan wordt met die verklaring de naam in je geboorteakte en in het register gewijzigd. Je bent dan ook voor de wet aangemerkt als je nieuwe geslacht.

In sommige landen mag je je geslacht niet wijzigen. In andere landen, zoals Noorwegen, is het proces veel simpeler - daar kun je het gewoon direct aanvragen en heb je geen andere documenten nodig. De Nederlandse manier is nog steeds omslachtig, maar het is beter dan het vroeger was.
2 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:23 pm

FR: Une courte mise à jour de mes activités en français (pourquoi pas, je n'utilise jamais cette langue merveilleuse de Proust et Baudelaire...). J'ai fait quelques séances de tchèque et espagnol et ça me plaît de voir que mon tchèque n'est pas si mal que je supposais... au moins on se comprend, même s'il y reste un grand morceau de la langue à avaler après d'arriver à un niveau, disons, acceptable.

Et en même temps je continue ma lecture de mon roman grec, exactement comme si rien s'était passé. Bof, c'est difficile de trouver un rythme dans cette langue... ça fait du mal lire le grec! Mais il faut pas se plaindre, enfin on va atteindre quelque chose. J'espère.
2 x

Is a girl.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:23 am

tarvos wrote:Hoe lang zoiets duurt verschilt per land. In Nederland is het gebruikelijk dat je lang moet wachten, niet alleen om onzekerheid te voorkomen maar ook omdat hun denkwijze een beetje verouderd is. Het gaat niet alleen om chirurgie (en daar zijn er verschillende van), er is ook een heel hormonaal proces en psychologisch proces bij betrokken. Je moet rekenen op een proces dat een aantal jaar duurt (verschilt ook nog eens per geval). Wat betreft de naam, recent is in Nederland de regelgeving veranderd zodat je naam veranderen nu makkelijker is (en geen sterilisatie meer behoeft). Je moet nu een verklaring krijgen van een expert (meestal krijg je die na de diagnostische fase van het proces, maar al lang voor enige vorm van chirurgie) en dan kun je naar je geboortegemeente gaan en dan wordt met die verklaring de naam in je geboorteakte en in het register gewijzigd. Je bent dan ook voor de wet aangemerkt als je nieuwe geslacht.

In sommige landen mag je je geslacht niet wijzigen. In andere landen, zoals Noorwegen, is het proces veel simpeler - daar kun je het gewoon direct aanvragen en heb je geen andere documenten nodig. De Nederlandse manier is nog steeds omslachtig, maar het is beter dan het vroeger was.

Dat is interessant. Nederland lijkt de middenweg te nemen dan. Ik heb een interessante lijst gevonden met alle de landen in Europa en hoe LGBTI-vriendlijk ze zijn (ik vond geen specifiek voor trans):

https://rainbow-europe.org/country-ranking

Malta lijkt het beste overall.
0 x

ellasevia
Languages: English (N), Deutsch, Español, Português, Français, Hrvatski, Ελληνικά, Türkçe

Studies: 日本語, 中文, Română, Русский, فارسی

Postby ellasevia » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:45 pm

vogeltje wrote:Dat is interessant. Nederland lijkt de middenweg te nemen dan. Ik heb een interessante lijst gevonden met alle de landen in Europa en hoe LGBTI-vriendlijk ze zijn (ik vond geen specifiek voor trans):

https://rainbow-europe.org/country-ranking

Malta lijkt het beste overall.

Forgive me for not writing in Dutch -- while I understand it fully, I haven't used it actively in forever and am not confident in what I'd be able to produce.

Anyways, I've seen that listing of countries in terms of their LGBTQ-friendliness before and am rather doubtful of the accuracy of some of the rankings. The most obvious thing to me is that Croatia is ranked higher in LGBTQ-friendliness than the Netherlands! As an LGBTQ person who has lived in Croatia, I can tell you firsthand that it's not a particularly hospitable place for us -- as much as I love the country otherwise. Most people in the country oppose homosexuality and same-sex marriage in principle, and in 2013 Croatia passed a referendum to modify its constitution to limit marriage to a union between only a man and a woman. Only two županije ('counties') of 21 opposed the referendum to change the constitutional definition of marriage. Interestingly, one of those was the županija I lived in (Primorsko-Goranska), so I can only imagine that it must be even more hostile elsewhere in regions that more staunchly supported the referendum. Compare that to the Netherlands, which was the first country in the world to legalize same-sex marriage and which is commonly cited as one of the friendliest countries for LGBTQ people. I also have a hard time believing that Greece ranks above Germany in this.

All that having been said, I'm not quite sure what data they have drawn on to assemble this ranking, so for all I know it could indeed be correct. I'm just very skeptical.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”