Tea With Tarvos - Tarvos' Log 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Tarvos' новый лог

Postby tarvos » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:23 pm

My other birthday present is that I will be starting HRT in January, so if I disappear for months you'll know why that is. :P
3 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:36 pm

I've not been working on anything the past couple days, mostly due to some health-related stuff (some of it problems, some of it planned operations which require a little bit of preparation; these are mostly of the liquefying kind. If you want to figure out the rest, please refrain from googling images of colonoscopies.)

What that means is that there hasn't been any real studying going on. Tuesday was mostly spent trying to recover from a panic attack (oh my sweet love, where have you been), so I didn't even work. Today has mostly been spent either teaching (the morning), in the hospital (afternoon), or at home (right now), where I am typing to you from the comfort of my desk chair. The only thing that I have done is watched Korean drama about vampires, which I cannot watch with Korean subtitles because they are scant. So I have to make do with English instead.

The good news is that I can understand some of the Korean. The bad news is that it is by far not enough. And by enough I mean "not enough to follow the plot without needing more than a sideways glance at the subtitles. In Korean." However, it's been improving bit by bit, and what I do notice are certain filler phrases, a lot of grammatical particles, some words, verb endings, and so on. The two things really missing for my Korean are vocabulary (that's a long haul game, and I can't fix that in three months), and the syntax that does my head in, what with all the weird sentence orders and verb endings and whatnot. (I can recognize a lot of the politeness, though.)

And now you ask me: why didn't you write this in Hangugmal? Well, that would require a humongous effort on my part, not least trying to construct the longer sentences, and this laxative is really doing my head in right now. So you'll have to wait for another day to see me composing Korean poetry with my keyboard.
1 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:37 am

KO: 언제 뱀파이어 탐정 연속물을 봐 버렸어요. 이 프로그램 저에게 너무 도왔어요. 지금 재 이해 조금 더 좋아요.

And that's all I am writing in Korean as it takes me too much time to come up with an entire text, hah.

I finished my TV series and next I am going to finish reading that comic book. Hopefully having watched the series will help me with some more vocab so today's Korean lesson is a bit better from the speaking and listening point of view.
0 x

Is a girl.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:14 am

veel succes met de HRT en operaties.

Vorige maand ben ik een daagje in Nederland geweest. We waren in België voor de week, maar dan ook enkele uren in Maastricht.

Hopelijk ga ik mijn nederlands niet vergeten, na zo lang in Londen waar ik alleen Frans en Engels hoor en spreek. Ook Duits wil ik niet vergeten, en spaans hoewel mijn spaans was nooit veel.

groetjes
jar-ptitsa
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 am

Als je je Nederlands blijft oefenen, komt dat wel goed hoor :*
0 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:39 pm

I have now moved on from my little Korean book and its cute comics, which I finished last night, and started on the first volume of the Good Soldier Svejk, which I am reading in (you guessed it) Czech. But I don't feel like writing in Czech right now, so you'll have to deal with my English right now.

Svejk is particularly interesting because of the picture it paints of the Austro-Hungarian army and the role of the soldiers in it. In the first part, Svejk doesn't actually go into the army, but he gets shoved around a bit, including a stay in a madhouse of the day. Of course we don't really know whether Svejk is actually dumb or simply playing the fool (which is what adds to the hilarity of the story), although I truly suspect he's feigning his stupidity. But the rigidity and silliness of the bureaucracy and Svejk's "dumb insolence" makes for a very good plot.
1 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:55 pm

I have finished Svejk, bought five more books for a total sum of €15, one of which is Gaston Dorren's Taaltoerisme. Gaston Dorren is a language journalist and a hero, who is also a gifted speaker. This book is about all of the eccentricities and touristic fun facts about the national languages of Europe; a must in the collection of any language lover or polyglot. I finished that one today, so that means that this year's book count is at 39 already, and given that I have six more books left to read and that my goal is 40 (up from 30 last year and adapted during the year when 35 turned out to be easy) , the only thing left to do is to find more books. Now these four other books I bought are all in Russian, so here's the deal:

I need suggestions for books in languages besides Russian.

The best languages you can suggest works to me in would be: Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Romanian, Esperanto, Italian, Portuguese, Modern Greek, Czech and perhaps Norwegian. Simple texts to read in Mandarin are also welcome.

If you want to know what I like, read through this log or check out my Goodreads profile at https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/17275537-joanna
1 x

Is a girl.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:36 pm

tarvos wrote:I need suggestions for books in languages besides Russian.

The best languages you can suggest works to me in would be: Dutch, English, French, German, Spanish, Swedish, Romanian, Esperanto, Italian, Portuguese, Modern Greek, Czech and perhaps Norwegian. Simple texts to read in Mandarin are also welcome.

If you want to know what I like, read through this log or check out my Goodreads profile at https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/17275537-joanna
Your Good Reads link requires a login.

-------

English.
Current authors I follow are: Philip Kerr (Bernie Gunther whodunnits), Lee Child, Alan Furst, Conn Iggulden, Michael Pearce (mamur zapt series). Old favourites Colin Thubron's Emperor, George MacDonald Fraser's McAuslan stories, Beryl Markham's West with the Night.

French
Of the few I've read I liked Regine Pernoud's Alienor d'Aquitaine biog, and Stephan Zweig's Marie Stuart biog (available from eBooksGratuit).
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:06 pm

That Eleonore d'Aquitaine biography was actually on my recs list - that's going on my to-read list. As for your English recs, out of these I've only read Lee Child but I liked him.
0 x

Is a girl.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:41 pm

tarvos wrote:That Eleonore d'Aquitaine biography was actually on my recs list - that's going on my to-read list.
She had an amazing life.

There's lots of english language books on her too, so if you like the french one, you could look at fact/fiction on her in english. James Goldman's play/film The Lion in Winter is probably the best known.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”