Tea With Tarvos - Tarvos' Log 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: Tarvos' новый лог

Postby Josquin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:37 pm

tarvos wrote:
vogeltje wrote:
tarvos wrote:Something in German about being openly trans - and forgive me my grammar, for I know not what I do. It *is* German after all.
clicky plox

I read this today and it's interesting, but what a pity that the people say for example what's your real name, and insist asking somethings and judge so much in the binary way. people love categories and to categorise and put a label. They do that for the nationalities as well.

By the way, I think that you made a mistake which is a coincidnce when your topic was gender, that you wrote "Dank Lydia Machová und seine Mitarbeitern" she's feminine I think, so it should be "und ihre Mitarbeitern" (?) Your German is much better than mine, so I was happy to see a possible mistake haha.

Oh, I must have been sleeping. And my German isn't actually that great. It's much better spoken than written and I don't normally write in German.

Actually, it is "und ihren Mitarbeitern". Your German is quite good, but it's not enirely idiomatic sometimes and your grammar is notably influenced by Dutch. I know few Dutchmen and -women who get the adjective endings right and that's also your biggest problem, besides noun gender. Otherwise, your German is totally fine and you're writing on an interesting and important subject that too few people really seem to understand. There's still so much ignorance and prejudice concerning LGBTQ people, even from people who are not homo- or transphobic, so I'm glad to see you writing on such an important issue.
4 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:08 pm

There are several articles on my blog about it (mostly in Czech). It was also partly the topic of my presentation at the 2017 Polyglot Gathering (you can read my Guide on my blog and the presentation will be up at some point). Surprisingly I found people quite open to the topic and people have asked for my slides in order to spread the word, which I find immensely gratifying and perplexing at the same time (same as the fact that I was one of the first people to be accepted as a speaker and an openly LGBTQ one at that! In Slovakia!)

About the German - I am aware of it. The problem with my German is that it would take a lot of work to eradicate these small, fossilized mistakes and that I don't really feel the need to do so, because it's not one of my top 4-5 languages and it's a language I have used successfully in the past. I'm ok with my current level for the time being. Perhaps someday I'll go deeper into German and its quirky details, but my school classes (the only effort I've made at learning is my formal education and simply using German afterwards both in social situations and reading) have got me far enough that I see no real need to move on from here. I have other priorities and my German is more than serviceable.

That said, I've written something in Italian on Shanghainese over at my blog.

clicky here
4 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:17 pm

I totally understand your priorities and I wasn't suggesting you should work on your German. Sorry if I came across that way. I just wanted to give you some native-speaker input concerning the article.

As I said, your German is more than good, only some minor details keep tripping you up. Of course, it's totally up to you whether you want to work on that or not. God knows I have plenty of trouble with inflection, even in my stronger languages, so I'm absolutely not judging you. I just thought you should know about it. Actually, Dutchified German often sounds pretty cute, so don't worry about it. ;)

Also, I'll have a closer look at your blog. Unfortunately I don't read Czech, but I'll try to muddle through your articles anyway. I can usually understand a lot thanks to my Russian.
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:40 pm

Josquin wrote:I totally understand your priorities and I wasn't suggesting you should work on your German. Sorry if I came across that way. I just wanted to give you some native-speaker input concerning the article.

As I said, your German is more than good, only some minor details keep tripping you up. Of course, it's totally up to you whether you want to work on that or not. God knows I have plenty of trouble with inflection, even in my stronger languages, so I'm absolutely not judging you. I just thought you should know about it. Actually, Dutchified German often sounds pretty cute, so don't worry about it. ;)

Thanks! Actually, in this case two German friends of mine proofread it, but I think I kept a few phrasings because of the topic. (Actually one asked permission to share it). And I may have missed a few endings, who the hell knows.

My experience with the Dutchified German is very good and my best friend is German. She says it's cute when I speak German that way (and I've spoken German to her parents before, for example). The Dutch, however, are very critical of it and tend to see overly Dutchified German as caveman-like and a bit too primitive. Then again, it depends on the person, location and generation whether people speak German well or not. My experience is that German ability is highest among my parents' generation and a little after, so people between 40-60. Many young people speak German if they grew up near the border (Limburgian people often speak good German). Because the educational system and its way of teaching German has changed over the years, levels can vary dramatically between people. What I find though, is that there is a general tendency for younger people to prefer English to German, and a tendency among older people to value German more due to their experience. That said, plenty of younguns here speak German and I wouldn't be surprised if someone switched to German and spoke it well - it's not anything out of the ordinary or something that would perplex me. It's a skill plenty of people possess. And there are those who will never admit to speaking well, but their understanding is excellent (my mother once had medical issues which meant she had to lay down a lot - and she watched German television as in her childhood days... and she never complained about her understanding, because she does.)

Also, I'll have a closer look at your blog. Unfortunately I don't read Czech, but I'll try to muddle through your articles anyway. I can usually understand a lot thanks to my Russian.

Not everything is in Czech. But not everything is about trans stuff either. My blog is full of articles in about 10-15 languages (lost count). Many of them have had native input, some of them haven't, such as English, Swedish, French and Spanish articles I've posted there, and the same goes for the recent Italian one.

The Czech ones were definitely proofread, though.
3 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:36 am

Starting on Shanghainese. 农好!

And I changed my avatar. Anyone who can spot the reference gets another cookie.
0 x

Is a girl.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:50 am

You gave it away with your signature...
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Ezy Ryder
Orange Belt
Languages: PL (rusting Native)
EN (Advanced)
中文 (Lower Intermediate)
日本語 (Beginner, not studying)
台語 (Dabbling)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1164

Postby Ezy Ryder » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:37 am

tarvos wrote:Starting on Shanghainese. 农好!

加油!Can't wait to see how you progress, and how you will find learning a cognate Sinitic language.
I don't know anything about Shanghainese, other than that it's a dialect/variety of Wu, so make of it what you will; but did you mean "侬"? If so, congrats! That would make it your first typo in Shanghainese! ^^
0 x
阿波
: 1250 / 1000010k SRS Challenge :
: 3750 / 48084,808 漢字 (handwriting) :

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:45 pm

I think I did, yes. Hah. Not that anyone types Shanghainese.
0 x

Is a girl.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Black crow on a tombstone

I didn't know what that meant and thought it was some Heisig mnemonic.

儂好! I love Shanghainese. Learned a little bit before and it's still on my wishlist.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:30 pm

tarvos wrote:And I changed my avatar. Anyone who can spot the reference gets another cookie.

I thought it referred to your Chinese name 鹤小高 (although 鹤 isn't exactly a crow).
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language logs”