Tea With Tarvos - Tarvos' Log 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
• N: English
• C: German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Greek
• B: Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese
• A: Persian, Mandarin
• Dormant: Dutch, Romanian, Polish

Re: Three-Horned Bull from the Netherworld - Tarvos' Log

Postby Denzagathist » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:00 am

Just wanted to stop by and say hi. I recently learned that the talks from past Polyglot Gatherings are all on YouTube and have been watching many of them, and stumbled across yours from last year. I really enjoyed it, and it spurred me to come seek out your log again. I've only read the past ~5 pages or so, but I just wanted to voice not only my admiration for your continued studies, but also my support for you in light of all that you've been going through. I've been struggling with several of the same things as you of late, and I'm in awe of your ability to keep at it in spite of it all in terms of language study, and to remain an inspiration to others.

(btw this is ellasevia. I made a new account)
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:08 pm

My ability to keep at anything has been severely impaired though. Normally I'd be way more productive than I am right now... but as fortune would have it, I have such a large store of knowledge that by now all that happens is some rust on the weaker languages. And I was going to dust them off at some point anyway.

It's much more important to stay alive.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:39 pm

The past week has been fraught with misery mostly (some personal stuff I don't want to go into and a whole lot of depression and other nasty things), but I have started reading the third part of the Ivan Chonkin series. This includes a lot of satire, so there's at least something funny to distract me from the fact I am still not dressed at 7:30 pm, haven't showered, done chores, or anything. In fact, I have mostly slept today.

It seems that the biggest barrier to overcome for me is my own health.
0 x

Is a girl.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:10 pm

I don't know if this helps at all, but maybe you shouldn't set yourself under such pressure to function the way society expects it.

I haven't showered today either, I'm still dressed in the most comfy clothes I have (i.e. the sort of clothes I'd never go on the street with), and I totally wasted all my time doing only things I like (i.e. listening to music and cooking) although I had resolved to clean the flat. Well, I didn't and the bottom line is I'm totally happy with that.

If you need sleep, you should get it! Human beings are the only animals in the entire world who deprive themselves of sleep. A dog or a cat sleeps most of the day and they are happy. I know being tired all the time is a symptom of depression, but you're not going to feel better when you beat yourself up about what you didn't do today. Try to focus on the positive, even if it may be very hard.

I'm obviously not a therapist, but I know a thing or two about depression, anxiety, and other mental problems myself. As I said, I don't know if this helps at all, but try to do what's good for you and not what you think you should do. I found happiness after realizing I couldn't control a lot of things in my life and I don't have to. I don't need to be perfect, others don't need to behave the way I want them to, life doesn't have to be the way I thought it should be, because life is just the way it is.

Face your fears and don't let yourself get cast down by your problems. Find out what makes you feel good and, most important of all, love yourself and be good to yourself. I know life can be hard, but there is always hope. There's always something good, even if you can't see it right now. You must believe in that.

As I said, don't beat yourself up, because of all the things you think you should do. Focus on the positive, focus on all the things you manage to do. Don't be your own enemy, but try to love yourself. That's the most important thing.
5 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:10 am

Turn to nature for comfort. I've been going through some tough times myself lately, and saw people suffer greatly. But the old cliché holds: life is sweet! It is, Tarvos. It's just amazing.
1 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm not sure I can take everything to heart right now, I feel like I'm about to be sucked into another black hole because I've got a hospital thingy tomorrow that requires some... ugh... nasty preparation and the procedure itself isn't really pretty either. This is causing way too much stress and forcing thoughts on me that I really can't use right now. The truth is that everything will probably turn out fine, but it's always stress because the minute possibility that they do find metastasized cancer or some shit is always there and I'm at high risk of developing more complications (I could go into details why, but my medical history is not for the faint of heart. Actually I think most people would rather just I spare them the gory details.)
0 x

Is a girl.

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:08 am

Best of luck for your procedure then! Yes, health problems can of course be very nasty. My thoughts are with you.
0 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 am

It's a yearly check-up, but the thing is it's one of those procedures where you have to be sedated and they have to clean your entire digestive system out. They really suck all the energy out of you and when you're already feeling like crap, this is not something you can use on top of that.
0 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:12 pm

После уже упомянутой операции, я сегодня приехала домой (ну, просто, я просто побывала несколько часов в больнице. Но все-таки я сейчас дома сижу). Результаты были отрицательные - ничего не нашли в язвах. Слава богу, это уже бы значило кошмар. Пока все в порядке, и поэтому могу сосредоточиться на чтение (и именно на чтение, потому что другие, более занимающие виды изучения не по настроении). Значит, что я читала дальше о приключениях Чонкина, а то, что именно меня поразило, был тот пассаж:

– Цо ты такий блядый? – спросила она, прикуривая.
– Хто? – в свою очередь спросил Леша и подмигнул Чонкину. – Я не блядый. Это ты блядая.
– Ай! Ай! – покачала головой Янина. – Мыслешь, я не розумлю, цо по-вашему бляда, то есть курва?
– Понимаешь? – смутился Леша. – Но это ж я так, для шутки. Ты говоришь, я блядый, а я, значит, говорю, ты блядая. Для шутки, понимаешь? А не для шутки я бы не стал. Ты что! Да разве стал бы! Да никогда! Веришь мне?
– То ничего, – махнула рукой Янина. – Курва, курва и есть.

Ваша задача: откуда наша курва Янина родом? Наш герой сейчас проводит жизнь в Германии, а Янина - не немка.

Рада вам сообщу, что я немедленно угадала!

IT: Mettiamo al lato il nostro conto russo e ne concentrammo sull'italiano. Mi hanno regalato un libro di Salvatore di Giacomo, celebre poeta e scrittore dalla fine del secolo XVIV. Questo libro e una compilazione delle novelle napoletane, che ha scritto sulla sua città natale. La prosa è un po' complessa, ma fino alla fine riesco a capire qualcosa. Ammetto che non ho letto più di poche pagine, ma chissenefrega????
1 x

Is a girl.

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:18 am

Tutto bene, caro Tarvos?
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Return to “Language logs”