Tea With Tarvos - Tarvos' Log 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Tarvos' новый лог

Postby tarvos » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:41 pm

Совсем в порядке.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:58 pm

РУ: Почти закончила книгу. Ну, почти, почти, осталось все же 17 страниц. Но сегодня вечером обязательно закончу нашу историю о Чонкине. Стиль прямо как у Швейка, но я должна сказать, что Чонкин мне больше нравится, чем Швейк. Может быть, из-за того, что я лучше понимаю русский...

А после книги еще у меня стоит полный ряд книжек на полке. В физическом и в электронном смысле. Дело лишь в том, какую мне выбрать книгу? Дальше развывать свой французский? Все же переключать на немецкий, хотя особой нужды в этом нет? Либо все же читать шведский детектив?

Благодарю заранее за ваше мнение. Скажите!

EN: And if you're interested in what questions you shouldn't ask me, you can always look here (as always discussion goes on my website, there's a comments section over there if you want to show your vicious outrage): trans faq
1 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 pm

I haven't posted in this log for a week because it wasn't really necessary or interesting to do so. I forgot to mention last time that I also saw two Spanish documentaries on astronomy, one about the origin of the universe and the other about black holes and wormholes. I found the second one a little tendentious, but it was still interesting to hear and read about the physical argumentation and basis for wormholes - shame it's such a useless concept!

I've also moved on to reading Radetzkymarsch, which is sort of interesting, but the plot is slow and the style is VERY German.
0 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:31 pm

Still working on Radetzkymarsch, although I am much closer to finishing it now. I wish this book had a plot of some sort because the dreariness of the decline of the Austro-Hungarian Empire can't save everything. I'm sure true lit buffs looooove this one, and to be fair there are redeeming qualities (the main character for one) but the lack of any kind of credible female character and the slow plot, coupled with the drawn-out literary style means this one is not going on my recommendations list.

I also spoke Polish for another hour and you know what? I'm getting into the flow of it already. I wish I had that kind of advantage with Korean, but nooooooooooo. Language families can really help you out. I can probably learn to speak Bulgarian and Serbo-Croatian fairly quickly too, and then I've got the Slavic family covered. Ok, I haven't there's Ukrainian and Slovak and Slovenian and Belarusian and Macedonian, but the latter is just Bulgarian with a few different letters and a couple different words, I already understand part of Slovak anyway, Belarusian isn't interesting enough to learn (and neither is Slovenian to me, really) so that would leave Ukrainian. Which would also be fast, but I am leaving some languages for later.
7 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 am

Still going further down the Spanish road, not studied a lot of Polish to be honest but I switched my work phone to Polish so that helps. I also learned the Polish word for parcel so that's good.

I've finished Radetzkymarsch (meh) and have moved on to La Reine Étranglée (The Strangled Queen) by Maurice Druon (one of the tomes of Les rois maudits) so there's going to be more French before we reach the end of the year. By the way, this would be book number 50.
1 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Re: Three-Horned Bull from the Netherworld - Tarvos' Log

Postby tarvos » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:02 am

I've finished La Reine Étranglée as well and have now gone on to Les poisons de la couronne, the next book in line. I haven't really studied much Spanish or Polish because my depression has been in full force this weekend so there isn't much to report apart from that. Maybe next week I will get better at doing some more Polish.

Note: the language of Les Rois Maudits is quite ancient and there's a lot of words and vocabulary that even I occasionally go like "what the hell is this?" Some of that is explained with footnotes, but sometimes I just have to think twice or look up the word chevaucher. That said, I can still read the French quite well. I guess this is positive? ?_?
1 x

Is a girl.

Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Postby Willow » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:26 am

I can probably learn to speak Bulgarian and Serbo-Croatian fairly quickly too, and then I've got the Slavic family covered.

Don't these closely related languages just mix in your head? :shock:
I'm asking, because being myself a "native slavonic language speaker" (if I dare call myself so), I constantly have such problems, while speaking and switching between Russian and Polish. They just merge into one sub-language. :roll:
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 am

tarvos wrote:I've finished La Reine Étranglée as well and have now gone on to Les poisons de la couronne, the next book in line. I haven't really studied much Spanish or Polish because my depression has been in full force this weekend so there isn't much to report apart from that. Maybe next week I will get better at doing some more Polish.

Note: the language of Les Rois Maudits is quite ancient and there's a lot of words and vocabulary that even I occasionally go like "what the hell is this?" Some of that is explained with footnotes, but sometimes I just have to think twice or look up the word chevaucher. That said, I can still read the French quite well. I guess this is positive? ?_?

Yes, you are reading well. The truth is, I don't have problems with words like chevaucher. I find not that common adjectives tricky. They are somehow harder to get from context, when I want precision. And even the uncommon nouns and verbs seem to be more common than the uncommon adjectives, but that is just personal and totally subjective observation.

And I just want to send some sympathy and hope the next week will be much better. You are awesome!

Willow wrote:
I can probably learn to speak Bulgarian and Serbo-Croatian fairly quickly too, and then I've got the Slavic family covered.

I'm asking, because being myself a "native slavonic language speaker" (if I dare call myself so), I constantly have such problems, while speaking and switching between Russian and Polish. They just merge into one sub-language. :roll:

I am curious about learning Slavic languages myself, Russian or Polish are the most tempting (at least until I found out there are tons of Bulgarian or Croatian fantasy/scifi authors :-D ). Slovak and Czech are a bit of a special situation (for people with exposure to their non native one of the two, they are like one language, with each person speaking their own language with no comprehension trouble), you could say they are often merged in one. Truth be told, I sometimes think a tiny bit in Slovak, especially after being exposed to the natives a lot ( therefore basically whenever I am spending too much time at the faculty :-D ) but I keep myself from trying to speak it as many such attempts by natives of either language come out as butchering them both. But definitely my vocabulary was enriched, when it comes to vulgarisms, Slovak has better ones. :-D

Willow, I should probably find your log, to learn more about slavic natives learning slavic languages :-)
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Willow wrote:

They do in the beginning but once I get better at them - it's not an issue. I have three language families and it doesn't hugely bother me in any of them.
2 x

Is a girl.

Willow
Yellow Belt
Languages: Русский (N), English, polski, deutsch

Postby Willow » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Willow, I should probably find your log, to learn more about slavic natives learning slavic languages :-)

Cavesa, then I probably should add more detailed information on this topic :) I'm concentrating on German, lately, to be honest :)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”