Tea With Tarvos - Tarvos' Log 2019

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Tea With Tarvos - Tarvos' Log 2019

Postby Cavesa » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:51 am

A tip concerning heels: Some dancing lessons could help. Especially the latin american dancing (including salsa, bachata,...)teaches the right kind of movement and balance. You can definitely find solo lessons, if you haven't got a partner now, or if you're worried you might struggle due to being tall. Even if you don't fall in love with this kind of dance and take just a few lessons, it can be a fun experience and a good way to get used to the heels. Even the low ones can already fit the dress code, and not make much of a difference in your real or perceived height.

No idea about finding shoes though. I have the opposite problem. EU 35 is too small to find in most countries (for example in the Czech Republic. The shop assistants usually don't have anything to offer, and many even make fun of me and are in general rather mean.). Actually, finding shoes in shops very often, that has been one of the reasons for choosing France :-D Hmm, but now that I think of it: the czech stores are more likely to have the big shoes. Here's one eshop: https://www.obuvnadmerna.cz/Damske/?f[c][2][0]=8 Perhaps you'll like something there.

Back to the languages: it is great to read about your progress. Could you give an example of a writing assignment, please? Those sound interesting!
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:35 am

The writing assignments are in Dutch and not very interesting unfortunately
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:32 pm

I am getting blasé. I hope there is a cure for it. But I kind of passed right over your major triumph working sucessfully as an interpreter. So please accept my belated congratulations! :)

Shoes: my ex was taller than the average woman at 5'8", and she bought some things at Lane Bryant, which caters to "plus sizes" (that is, tall and large) and which also sells Lane Bryant Shoes. I have no idea whether they sell outside the USA. (I also have no idea how I remember this or even know this :? ).
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:48 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:(I also have no idea how I remember this or even know this :? ).

Proof that you are not blasé.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:53 pm

BalancingAct wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:(I also have no idea how I remember this or even know this :? ).

Proof that you are not blasé.

Thank you. :)
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:27 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:I am getting blasé. I hope there is a cure for it. But I kind of passed right over your major triumph working sucessfully as an interpreter. So please accept my belated congratulations! :)

Shoes: my ex was taller than the average woman at 5'8", and she bought some things at Lane Bryant, which caters to "plus sizes" (that is, tall and large) and which also sells Lane Bryant Shoes. I have no idea whether they sell outside the USA. (I also have no idea how I remember this or even know this :? ).

But I am 6'5". 5'8" in NL is just average.

I might use the Czech website though, that seems pretty good, and reasonably affordable. Thanks, Cavesa! :D
2 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:55 pm

I have not been doing thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat much with languages because I decided to sleep for the past weeks instead of doing much that could be considered productive, but then again resting has been very productive because apparently my body really needs it. Still no class this weekend so I can get back to doing assignments and stuff (yay!)

BUT in all weirdness, I walked into an Italian trattoria in the Hague yesterday and was greeted in Italian. So I just responded in Italian and ordered my vegetarian ravioli in Italian like a pro. He thought I was Italian because I answered in that language... no my dear, my Italian is not that good. Ma neanche é brutto...

Aaaand I have been continuing to read Catching Fire in Mandarin. I am on the last part now and we're fighting tributes... or well... allying with them, in some cases. YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.

The fascinating thing is that the names of the characters are phonetically transcribed into characters, which leads to... weird ways of writing certain characters and sometimes I really don't know what certain characters are called in English and only find out after I look it up. To me, Peeta Mellark will always be 皮塔・麦拉克. Yeah. I cannot actually keep those things apart, I actually read his name as Pita Mailake. Same with other characters - Katniss is 凯特尼斯·伊夫迪恩. Like for Wiress and Beetee, I read them the Chinese way in my mind... to me Beetee should be written Biti :lol: :lol: :lol:
5 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Tea with Tarvos is still drinking more tea than doing much with languages, but since studies are starting up again it's time to get back on the horse (the chess horse that is) and work. I've been doing some study-related stuff and read some more Chinese, but that's about it. Oh, I have spoken lots of Spanish with my Latino friends but that is just part of the deal.

And I wrote some Portuguese. I guess. I think. Or Portunhol, more likely...
0 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:10 pm

I have gone into winter hibernation it seems. I am so inscrutably tired it hurts. Just two more chapters with Katniss and I have finally finished that book and can move on to something non Chinese.

I am kind of in depressed mode though, so not doing much :(
2 x

Is a girl.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby tarvos » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:50 am

I have been working with Spanish legal terminology for my studies (nothing more boring than that) and I finished Catching Fire in Chinese, finally. I have moved on to a history book about Korea and a portrait of the recent rise to democracy in South Korea which is very interesting.

The other problem I have had recently is that my liver has decided to flare up and my legs are now one bloody mess. Terrible. So I wish there was something to report, but there isn't much. Except that I am getting the feeling that I *should* start studying Finnish and ten other languages while we're at it, but I just don't have the energy for anything besides Spanish right now.
2 x

Is a girl.

Return to “Language logs”