I fail words -- devilyoudont's Japanese & Esperanto log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: I fail words -- devilyoudont's Japanese & Esperanto log

Postby IronMike » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:02 am

devilyoudont wrote:I failed the Sumoo. Just couldn't do it.

Sorry to hear about your Sumoo experience. But don't let that dissuade you for November!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:52 pm

I've been studying but somewhat inconsistently. Probably doing something or other on 80% of days, but nothing particularly systematic.

I plan to reintroduce tracking this week.

I want to stay focused on kanji, but I also want to start reincorporating other activities. I might decide on studying fewer kanji a week. Whenever I pick something up and read it, there are big gains mainly attributable to not getting stuck on unfamiliar kanji. On the one hand, I'm no where near done this project, and I'm not going to finish in time for new years, and it's kind of a bummer doing so many flash cards. On the other hand, I've gained multiple grade levels in literacy due to a combination of learning to write the kanji with the heisig keyword, and learning to pronounce the kanji thru vocabulary/sentence flash cards, and it doesn't really matter when I finish this project so I could hypothetically go down to 1 new card a week and just keep up with reviews :lol: Probably there is some kind of happy medium that exists.

I got a different job, but I don't start until the end of the month. I've decided not to comply with the new headphone rules in the meantime, and am listening to Japanese at work again.
3 x

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:48 am

Many years ago, I met someone who told me that he is studying Chinese or Japanese. I don't recall. He mentioned that there are natives of that language who also are revising their own Kanji characters through flashcards, because they otherwise would forget it!
3 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:25 am

I got the new job, and me and my fiance also got married. So things have been hectic for me.

Over the last month I have:

--Read the simplified version of 杜子春 which I have
--Wrote a short review in Japanese and solicited corrections on HelloTalk
--Listened to about 3 hours of podcasts
--Watched about 35 episodes of Chi's Sweet Home -- Chi's New Address in Japanese with no subtitles.
--Listened to an unknown amount of music
--Reviewed flashcards in a hap hazard and unsystematic way

I'd like to be more consistent but I'm kind of accepting that may not be possible for another few weeks.

I also started doing some creating writing in Esperanto. This is due to Nanowrimo, but I don't have any pretensions that I can complete a novel. Instead I started writing out the story for a short comic that I've been thinking about for a while. I don't know how long it will take me to complete, and at this moment I am mainly working on putting together an outline of the entire story that makes sense and actually has some kind of narrative structure.
8 x

tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby tuckamore » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:53 pm

devilyoudont wrote:I got the new job, and me and my fiance also got married.

Double congratulations!
2 x
: 10000 / 10000 10000 Japanese pages
: 1510 / 10000 the next 10000 Japanese pages

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:29 pm

So, this week I mainly just started a bunch of new things.

Started another book from the set of graded readers I got: 永井隆原爆の地長崎に生きて

This isn't really my kind of book, but I'd like to read the entire set before regifting them to someone. Well, based on the title, I'm making an assumption that this is either a bummer story, or an "inspirational" story about humans surviving the most nightmare scenarios.

Started the Netflix original SCAM$. This is my kind of story, but the specialized crime vocabulary is largely going over my head. Not just the vocabulary, but whenever anyone speaks really "gangster" I have a tendency to be taken out of the narrative and just start noticing phonetic features of speaking in that kind of register. For now, this is all kind of fine with me, because I can still follow the story. Watched 1 episode.

Started Pokemon Sword. Normally I only play my switch on my breaks, and so play for less than an hour a day while at work... but I've been playing this game constantly. It's only been out for 2 days and I already have six hours into it.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”