I fail words -- devilyoudont's Japanese & Esperanto log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Re: devilyoudont's Japanese/Spanish/Esperanto log

Postby devilyoudont » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Japanese Log:

Reading:
NHK Easy
--「熱中症にならないように」梅干しの注文が増える
--オーストラリアの島で餌が足りなくてたくさんのコアラが死ぬ
--メタボ健診」を受けた人は51パーセントだけ

Watching:
Youtube (In English) (about 20 Minutes)
Japanese Phonetics episodes 10, 11, + 12

Listening:
Podcasts(3hrs 25min)
--昔話の朗読と歌
--エッチな女子会

SRS:
Made 18 cards.
Reviewed 408 cards

Struggles:
-Episode 11 of the Japanese Phonetics course was a test. If I had taken this in school I would have gotten a 60% on this test. So, there's a lot of room for improvement to say the least. Worst of all, I feel like the questions I got right were only the easiest ones on the test. If anything was tricky at all, I failed the question. However, for the majority of incorrect answers, I did things like mark a heiban word as atamadaka or vice versa (so, hearing where the change is, but interpreting it as the exact opposite pattern) or I marked the downstep on the syllable before it actually occurs... so I am hoping these problems can be corrected fairly quickly. I will try taking the test again maybe after a month (I need to give myself enough time to forget all the answers lol) and see if I improved at all.
-It's taking me longer to review cards because I started marking it wrong if I get the pitch accent wrong.

Successes:
-One of the podcasts I listen to did an episode retelling the Tanabata story. This is probably one of my favorite Japanese stories, along with Taketori Monogatari, so I was glad to hear it again. This version was slightly different than the other version I studied thru reading, but because I had read that other version, my comprehension of that podcast was higher than usual.
-I also realized that there is a recurring character in folktales that I had no previous knowledge of before I started reading Japanese folktales in Japanese. His name is Kitchomu-san. I really enjoy trickster characters, so I'm happy that I will see this character recurring as I continue to muddle thru folktales.
Last edited by devilyoudont on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:27 pm

Spanish Log:

Reading:
Muy Interesante Junior
--10 cosas que no sabías de la carne de caballo

Listening:
Podcasts (1hr 13min)
--Ciencia.es
--Spanish LingQ
--Duolingo Spanish

SRS:
Made 23 cards.
Reviewed 146 cards.

Struggles:
-I got my dog spayed this week. Going to the vet and then caring for her ate up a bit of my spanish time. And then being tired ate up the rest.
-I'm really struggling to understand any Rioplatenese Spanish. One of the podcasts I listen to (Spanish LingQ) features Rioplatenese Spanish quite often, and what little comprehension I have just plunges off a cliff. For whatever reason, this hasn't been a problem so far for understanding dialects that maintain distinción. Probably because I was in speech therapy for years so I'm very used to hearing people say th instead of s, even tho that wasn't my specific speech problem.

Successes:
This week was tough but I at least did something.

Esperanto:

I made an executive decision to use time that I would have spent on Esperanto this week on Spanish instead.
3 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:44 am

devilyoudont wrote:-I'm really struggling to understand any Rioplatenese Spanish. One of the podcasts I listen to (Spanish LingQ) features Rioplatenese Spanish quite often, and what little comprehension I have just plunges off a cliff. For whatever reason, this hasn't been a problem so far for understanding dialects that maintain distinción. Probably because I was in speech therapy for years so I'm very used to hearing people say th instead of s, even tho that wasn't my specific speech problem.

Oof, I know what you mean. It will take some time to get accustomed to their intonation. The El voseo isn't that bad but sometimes it just surprises you haha, but that Italian like intonation is equally as beautiful as it is foreign :lol: The Rioplatense is actually one of my favourite accents so I hope I'll be able to understand it sooner or later. Have you ever heard Chilean accents or Caribbean accents? You are in for a surprise :?

Do you listen to the podcasts with Steve as the interviewer? I love the guy and everything but he does make a noticable amount of errors in his speech. It seems they try and fix it in the transcripts but still look at this!

Steve: Sí, sí. A mí no me gusta la… los… películas dobladas ¿no? He actually said: los películas doblados

Me gusta mejor… mucho más, si hay… ¿cómo se dice? ¿Subtítulos?

Frederico (el argentino): Sí, subtitulados.

Am I nitpicking? Yes haha. I know Steve is a learner like the rest of us pero ¡por el amor de Dios! It seems he stopped doing them at episode 13. Menos mal :lol: Noticing errors is probably a good way to stay sharp but it's very easy for us beginners/lower intermediates to pick up bad habits.
0 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

Jaleel10 wrote:Voseo isn't that bad but sometimes it just surprises you haha, but that Italian like intonation is equally as beautiful as it is foreign

That's so true that it sometimes sounds like Italian! I thought I was totally insane in thinking that because I speak exactly 0 Italian. I also love the sound of this dialect.

I'm not familiar with Chilean accents, but the three most populous Latino ethnicities in my city are Puerto Rican, Dominican, and Cuban. Mexicans come next after Cuban, but Puerto Ricans outnumber all the other Latinos, even if you add all other groups together, by a factor of about ten. I am completely not able to understand Caribbean Spanish :cry: I'm hoping to try to do some work on it once I have a better level in Spanish generally, since as far as I know there isn't much Spanish media in Caribbean Spanish :cry:

Jaleel10 wrote:Do you listen to the podcasts with Steve as the interviewer? I love the guy and everything but he does make a noticable amount of errors in his speech.

Yeah, Steve is kind of problematic. His errors are more noticeable to me in Japanese, but I did catch him saying "espusa" instead of "esposa" once. I haven't heard a Steve episode in a long time tho, so that's probably a good thing. Unfortunately, I'm only really able to understand the Duolingo Podcast. The LingQ podcast is the only other Spanish podcast I am able to understand, and only at times. I do listen to a few other podcasts as they update, but those ones are all by natives for natives and are still above my level, although I feel that listening without comprehension can occasionally still teach you things. Other podcasts that I have tried for learners are more English heavy than the duolingo podcast, and that is undesirable to me right now.
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:53 am

Their accent is due to the large influx of Italians that came into the country around the turn of the 20th century. They learned Spanish but never adopted to the standard accent haha. Fun fact. 60% of Argentinians have at least one Italian immigrant ancestor.

I'd love to be able to understand Caribbean accents as well one day but yeah as you mentioned, just trying to improve my Spanish first.

On my log I recently posted 5 learner podcasts I am using. They contain next to no English and the usage of Spanish is great for students. Check it if you want. I even shared my list of podcasts with you on the first page of your log ;)
0 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:18 am

Jaleel10 wrote:On my log I recently posted 5 learner podcasts I am using. They contain next to no English and the usage of Spanish is great for students. Check it if you want. I even shared my list of podcasts with you on the first page of your log ;)

I will take a look at your log for those learner podcasts. I started listening to SER Historia based on the list you previously linked me too. I tend to choose stuff that's has a lot of shorter episodes for now tho. I will probably gradually make it thru all your recs :)
1 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Japanese Log:

Reading:
NHK Easy
--アメリカ 警察から逃げていた女をたくさんの牛が追う
--NASAの探査機が今まででいちばん近くから太陽を調べる
--東京 相撲の文化や力士の生活を紹介するイベント

Watching:
Netflix (Japanese with Japanese Subtitles)
--伊藤くんAtoE Episode 5 (23min)
Youtube (In English)
Japanese Phonetics 13 - 16

Listening:
Podcasts(2hrs 27min)
--朗読男女5分で聞けるオリジナル物語
--エッチな女子会
--昔話の朗読と歌
-- News in Slow Japanese

SRS:
Made 30 cards.
Reviewed 330 cards.

Struggles:
--At some point I got frustrated failing cards due to pitch accent, and I just didn't grade myself on pitch accent the rest of the day.

Successes:
--I had a reasonably high understanding of News in Slow Japanese this week. If it's about food or some other trivial topic, even a food I never ate before, I can usually follow along pretty well lol.
--Still reading thru one of the folktales which has been giving me trouble (なまけ者と貧乏神). It feels like this is getting easier tho.
2 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:07 am

Spanish Log:

Reading:
Guía Infantil
--El conejo de la luna
--El tigre y la vaca

Listening:
Podcasts (2hr 59min)
--Ciencia.es
--Spanish LingQ
--Duolingo Spanish

SRS:
Made 59 cards.
Reviewed 103 cards.

Struggles:
--I just could not motivate myself to do cards this week for whatever reason. In the end, I still ended up reviewing a number of cards, but every card was kind of a struggle.

Successes:
--I saw that there was a story about seeing a rabbit in the moon, and I immediately wanted to read it. Japanese people also see a rabbit when they look up at the moon. This story was a breeze for me to read, which was kind of a nice change of pace. I also had a sudden realization that I had actually been told this story when I was a child, but in the telling I heard, Quetzalcóatl was replaced with Jesus Christ, and the moon replaced with Heaven. Weird!
--I feel like I am starting to understand longer chains of words in works that are by natives for natives. Still not full sentences, but progress!

Esperanto:

I had a baby shower to go to this weekend, so I didn't do much for Esperanto. I chatted with friends pretty much. I also made an Esperanto community in World of Warcraft. I hope someone will join and we can play together while using Esperanto, but no one has joined yet. It seems the other faction may have more Esperantists lol
2 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Spanish (Advanced-B2)

Postby Jaleel10 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:56 pm

devilyoudont wrote:Spanish Log:

Reading:
Guía Infantil

Thanks for these. I really enjoy kids stories and I am always on the lookout for more! Looking forward to reading them all this week.

Oh and I bring gifts again :D
You might enjoy these as well. I think most of them have an audio version too. https://www.mundoprimaria.com/mitos-y-l ... para-ninos

¡Que tengas una buena semana!
0 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt

Postby devilyoudont » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:30 am

Jaleel10 wrote:
devilyoudont wrote:Spanish Log:

Reading:
Guía Infantil

Thanks for these. I really enjoy kids stories and I am always on the lookout for more! Looking forward to reading them all this week.

Oh and I bring gifts again :D
You might enjoy these as well. I think most of them have an audio version too. https://www.mundoprimaria.com/mitos-y-l ... para-ninos

¡Que tengas una buena semana!

:) Thanks for this. I'll probably try a few of the myths later this week. I've been kinda jumping around with me reading.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”