neofight78 returns from his Siberian exile? [RU, ES]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: neofight78's Wayward Ramble to Russian Fluency Продолжается!

Postby MamaPata » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 pm

neofight78 wrote:In my log I've muttered a few times about doing a mock TRKI-3 exam to see where I'm at. Well, we did the grammar & vocabulary part at University last week. I got a healthy score of 85% and the mistakes were fairly evenly spread i.e. there weren't any weak spots revealed. This means that I'm looking at three areas where I'm perhaps not up to C1 yet: reading, writing and listening. I should probably try a mock paper for reading, I might already be there or not far off it.

Congratulations! That's very impressive! You should be proud of yourself.
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:40 pm

neofight78 wrote:This means that I'm looking at three areas where I'm perhaps not up to C1 yet: reading, writing and listening. I should probably try a mock paper for reading, I might already be there or not far off it.

I did a mock reading test at home yesterday and got 77%. There were three parts, the first was a piece of literature which I mostly understood although it was a little above my comfort zone. The second was an interview and the third a series of articles. These were easy texts, near to 100% comprehension. There was 90 minutes allowed and I finished in 70. If I'd been patient and used those 20 minutes to check stuff I probably could have bumped the score up a little. In short, it seems that I'm at about C1 level reading already. I'm pretty pleased with that as I wasn't really sure.

That leaves writing and listening. Writing I know lags far behind, so I won't even bother doing a mock test yet, I'll save it for down the line once I've put some work into my writing. Listening I think is also not up to C1 standard, but I might do a mock test anyway, just to see how big that gap might be and on what kinds of audio I should concentrate on.

Given that I speak Russian pretty well, writing is going to just be a case of practice and cranking out a few texts each week. Audio could be more problematic in terms of getting meaningful gains over a shorter space of time.

Anyhow, I'm leaning towards having a crack at the exam at the end of November / early December. I'll probably do the audio test before deciding....
7 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm now half way through Тайна двух океанов. Here's a fun video to celebrate:

Reading speed is now chugging along nicely. The percentage of known words is very very slowly creeping up. There are so many escapades in the first half of the book, that it's hard to imagine the last chapter won't be a big row about who did the risk assessments for the trip :lol: A lot of the first half is science stuff or adventures. There is a story arch which has been barely nudged along up to now, although thankfully in the last few chapters we seem to be getting into the meat of the plot a bit more.

I've been reading the book for about a month, so it should be another month to the end. It's downhill from here...
5 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:14 am

I finally got round to doing the mock listening test and.... well.. oh dear.... 48% Not good at all. Now I'm not so sure I want to sit the exam in the near future. Fixing up listening and writing in a short space of time just feels too arduous, I'd prefer to move things along more organically and think about the exam again once I'm a bit closer. But then again, this could just be morning after depression talking. I probably need to analyse a bit more what went wrong and how to fix things up. Being an exam it's not all about pure listening ability, although of course that is a pretty key thing.

There were three parts, my thoughts are as follows.

1) An interview, whilst not 100% comfortable I felt I followed it pretty well. However, I scored badly. In this section there are a bunch of statements where you have to fill in the blanks, no multiple choice, you have to write the correct word or phrase. Two of the correct answers were words I'd never heard of, so I was already down to a maximum score of 75%. In fact one of them I did correctly identify and hear, but I just wrote it down as I thought it sounded and of course the spelling was wrong. Given there were eight questions it was just too much to listen out for the key bits of info needed, you needed to understand and remember everything.

2) Here were two separate interviews, again not 100% comfortable but I felt I followed them pretty well. Given that there were only four questions for each, it was possible to listen out for the key info. As a result my score was pretty good here, I only dropped one mark.

3) This was part of a play. This was a little harder in terms of listening as the pace was higher, but overall it didn't feel too hard. If it's not a tautology to say this, it was the questions that threw me for 6. You are asked questions relating to the two different characters, but I couldn't work out who was who. There were names in the questions, but there were no names in the audio. Thinking about this in the cold light of day, if I'd stayed calm I could have reasoned out at least some of the answers despite it not being obvious which questions referred to whom. Two of the questions ask about the author's attitude to each of the characters. I'm pretty certain these are impossible to answer. I later read the text for the audio, and I just don't see how this is possible to answer (it was just two guys bartering with no narration). Anyway this part was brutal, perhaps if I'd kept my cool and concentrated more on what was being said, rather than trying to work out who was who, things would have gone better. (Again I read the text after, and it's impossible to know who is who).

I came away with feeling that parts 1 and 3 weren't really a fair listening test, and that those parts were made harder but in ways that don't relate to listening ability. But perhaps that is a cop out, if one's listening is really good, less brain power is used up on deciphering speech freeing up capacity for higher level tasks... perhaps, hard to judge from here.

I wasn't expecting a great result however I'm still going to sulk for a bit..... :lol:
7 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:35 pm

A couple of little milestones today. According to Anki I now know just over 8,000 words. Also I'm now three quarters of the way through Тайна двух океанов. The books not bad, but it's long and now I just want to get to the end of it. As daft as it is I like the good feeling I get when I finish a book. I reckon I've got about 1-2 weeks left to finish this one off.

A ran the listening test past a native speaker, and indeed the last part isn't really a fair test, with two of the questions being impossible. Maybe if I can find another sample listening test, I might try again and the result won't be as bad. However, such mock listening tests are hard to find, unlike grammar and vocab tests which are two a penny. Anyhow, I've already cooled off the idea. I'll keep plodding for now and maybe revisit the exam question a bit further down the line.
7 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:21 pm

neofight78 wrote:A couple of little milestones today. According to Anki I now know just over 8,000 words. Also I'm now three quarters of the way through Тайна двух океанов.

Congratulations! Both very impressive!
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:52 pm

It seems to be an issue of most listening tests to assess memory - especially shorter-term memory - and the ability to cram information within a few minutes rather than actual language skills. I'm sure I wouldn't be able to recall almost any info from a 3-page long in my native language after just one single listening. Even if I'm allowed to listen again, it's still a lot of info to process at once. That's not even natural because in real life, even in academical contexts, you have pauses or moments and you go through some repetition and you're usually allowed to take notes.

I'm certainly not in the position to give any sort of advice, but when you have no trouble speaking, deciphering sounds, understanding the same content in the written form then you're up to training your cognitive ability and concentration for example and this can be done with audiobooks. Russian has quite many non-fiction audiobooks which might cover the range of topics demanded on exams.
3 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:38 pm

Expugnator wrote:It seems to be an issue of most listening tests to assess memory - especially shorter-term memory - and the ability to cram information within a few minutes rather than actual language skills.

Exactly!

Expugnator wrote:I'm certainly not in the position to give any sort of advice, but when you have no trouble speaking, deciphering sounds, understanding the same content in the written form then you're up to training your cognitive ability and concentration for example and this can be done with audiobooks. Russian has quite many non-fiction audiobooks which might cover the range of topics demanded on exams.

I'm listening to an to the audio as I read. Well, more precisely I read a chapter, and then I listen to. But I suspect here you might be suggesting more extensive listening? Although granted, a chapter can be around 30 minutes of listening.

I was thing of trying to get hold of audio that more closely resembles what usually appears in exams. So perhaps more interviews. I was trying to find some radioplays with transcripts, but came up short. Usually there is the audio, but the text given is usually the unadapted book rather than the screenplay. I wonder if any of our native speakers could help out with that one?
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Time for an interesting update! Actually the news is already a little old, as I've just not had time to write about it...

So nearly two weeks ago I received a letter telling me that I've been granted a work permit. I've handed over my passport to the local migration service and have to wait a month whilst they put an official stamp in it. Having seen how basic the permit is, I'm not quite sure why it takes so long. But hey ho, this is Russia....

Having received the news, I immediately kicked off my job search. This is where the advantage of having English as a native language plus being a coder really pays off. I've had three interviews already, and one, potentially two, more lined up next week. So far they all seem keen on me doing some kind of test task, which has also kept me busy. So far I've written a couple of documents and a small coding project. I've also got another coding project I need to do. Let's hope next weeks lot don't demand more test tasks!

The downside is that I've basically done no study recently, and I daren't even look at the Anki backlog. When things settle down and I'm in a job, I'll have to take a look at my routine and figure out a way to get more from my everyday life and to streamline the amount of sit down study needed.

I was at a meetup for developers and project managers at the weekend. There were two presentations. The first was pretty good, although rather basic, introduction to Scrum. The second presentation was complete nonsense to be honest. Then followed a discussion session which was pretty good listening practice although I have to admit I tired at the end and started to lose the details. If you're mad enough to want to watch these sessions they are available online:

4 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:52 pm

neofight78 wrote:I'm listening to an to the audio as I read. Well, more precisely I read a chapter, and then I listen to. But I suspect here you might be suggesting more extensive listening? Although granted, a chapter can be around 30 minutes of listening.

Yes, more extensive listening alongside with the usual listening-reading exercises. Pick easier genres, texts you're more familiar with and which you'd just get a couple of unknown words ever paragraph and just listen to them. That's what I'm doing with Slow German, and even though my progress hasn't spread into other texts yet, it's helping a lot. Oh, I'm also doing this with an Italian podcast with good results.
2 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Return to “Language logs”