neofight78 returns from his Siberian exile? [RU, ES]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Re: neofight78's log - Wayward Ramble to Russian Fluency

Postby neofight78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:45 pm

Thanks, the part that's confusing me is why use the dative here, or when should I use the dative. What's the grammatical rule/pattern behind this usage?
1 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:31 pm

neofight78 wrote:I am from the UK.

ok, thanks.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:39 pm

Post weekend update:

As I mentioned before, the end of the week got wiped out by hastily arranged late night airport duties. I lost most of Saturday catching up on my sleep, however I did manage to make some gains on the flashcard deficit, although I didn't quite manage to clear the backlog completely.

Today however was much more productive. In the morning I got caught up with my flashcards. I prepared some material from the Colour of Magic and the transcript of Angelica (see below for the video), ready for study on LingQ. Although I do still have a bit to do on the mummy article and the chess interview that I started last week.

I also prepared some flashcards for the week ahead. Some sentence cards based on in lesson corrections and some grammar cards for double negatives. With the double negatives the concept is not hard, it's more that I need to train my English brain to adopt the "double" part. I also added some spelling cards based on the last few bits of written work I've done. These are one word cards, the front is just audio taken from forvo and the back is the word displayed with a propisi font. So I hear the word, write it down, flip the card and compare. One frequent mistake I'd like to fix is one where I write an English "u" instead of a Russian "у", very annoying!

I also did some grammar exercises on "infinitive sentences". The explanations are very short, and the number of exercises per rule/pattern is pretty low. I think to really get some of this down, I'll need more examples to get to the point of automation/assimilation. I've used elance before to request people that they create example sentences, so I may have to down this route again.

I've got a couple of outstanding writing tasks to complete this week, and no doubt my tutor will send me some more material as well. This is all on top of the daily flashcards and lunchtime LingQ-ing. Busy busy busy!

On Friday I have the day off to go down to London to apply for my Russian visa. I'm looking forward to being in Russia, but the exam is just beginning to fill me with a certain amount of dread. I'm sure a few weeks before it will be a lot worse!
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:10 am

This Series sounds like fun. Care to share where you got the transcripts you say you are preparing?
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:41 am

I paid someone at elance to create a transcript + audio recording of just the transcript. At the moment, I'm just taking odd episodes from different shows, I've not yet committed to a whole series of everything. I'm not sure there's a way to share files here, but if you're interested PM your email and I'll send you the episode I have. Alternatively it looks like there are some transcripts of Анжелика available at polydog now:

http://polydog.org/index.php?threads/tr ... елика.445/
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:53 am

Thank you, sounds good! There are so many good Russian series by those producers/channels out there, and people at poly dog are doing a good job with transcripts . Now I should decide what I am going to watch in Russian and which ones I will be searching for the Georgian dubbing for.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:09 am

Mid week update:

The first two days I kept up to date with my flashcards and got some grammar exercises finished off. Today I finished the chess interview and I've got stuck into the color of magic extract too. Tomorrow I'll start on the next chunk of the Angelica transcript.

Unfortunately, this evening was entirely lost to filling out my visa application for my trip to Russia, and trying to find a way to travel to the application centre in London on Friday without spending a small fortune on train tickets. Tickets to London are seriously overpriced. Anyhow I'll be getting up early Friday morning to drive down to the outer London from where I can catch a considerably cheaper train. I'll be tired but it'll be cheaper and I'll have more flexibility as to when I return, instead of having to prebook tickets or avoid peak time fares. (I have no idea how long I'll need to be at the visa application centre)

Also bought this album yesterday, which I've been listening to at work:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/moj-bluz/id898785982 (Мой блюз - Андрей Козловский)

It reminded me, that whilst I do like the blues, generally I only appreciate it in small doses. Putting the whole album on repeat is too much!
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:26 am

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

neofight78
Blue Belt

Postby neofight78 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:40 pm

Arnaud wrote:Just curious, do you find Angelica difficult or easy ?
I've watched the 1st episode and I could understand almost everything, so I stayed away from it (and the story doesn't appeal me too much)
At the same time, кухня is a little too difficult for me: I currently use it with the other series available on Polydog but it's far from being i+1 material: I spend too much time in the dictionary and can't watch more than 2 or 3 episodes per month.
Still looking for something intermediate and interesting with transcripts in russian... :roll:

Hmmm... I'm not sure how to quantify how hard it is. Plus I did watch it probably around 6 months ago. As a text to work though it's reasonably easy, although my knowledge of slang is pretty minimal and there's a few bits I couldn't work out with the use of a dictionary. But the majority of it is straightforward. I'm going to wimp out and say, it's neither hard nor easy, somewhere in between. Although I've watched Кухня, I've yet to actually look at any of the transcripts so I can't compare. Previously I worked through an episode of Нюхач and that was probably comparable to Angelica in terms of diffculty.

Well finding interesting i+1 material is always hard. I prefer to use LingQ and do the "decoding" up front (the less enjoyable part), turning it into i+1 and then work with the excerpt for a couple of days (the fun part) before moving on to the next bit. I'm also started using subs2srs with the same kind of idea.
2 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:07 am

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”