Isa's French Log + a bit of occasional ES, IT, JP or ZH

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
addylad
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1?)

Re: Isa's French Log + Mandarin Recovery Summer Project 2019

Postby addylad » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:35 pm

This is great! I'm learning French, and intend to learn German, Russian, and Mandarin eventually.

I can check which Mandarin books I've already bought and let you know, as I've already done far too much research on the subject. :)

Good luck!
2 x

Darker 河马
Languages: Mandarin (Radio news reader),
English (~C1),
French (beginner)
Vietnamese (curious)

Postby Darker 河马 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:58 pm

For the past month I have been doing Pimsleur as well as chatting on Tandem to recover my French, and your log is motivating for me : )

Liaison is a pain in listening. Often took me a second or more to figure out "ah OK, not any new words, it's the liaison ", by which time I was already lost in the conversation.
Did u do some training on liaison, or u just got used to it after massive audio input?

It's good to see u work on your Mandarin. Any questions, especially those concerning pronunciation, feel free to ask me, as my work experience as a news anchor might be of help.
1 x

I_likes_languages
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (N), English (C2)
Studying: French (C1), Mandarin (A1)
Atrophying: Italian (B1-2), Japanese (B1), Czech (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8281

Postby I_likes_languages » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:36 am

Thank you both for the encouragement!

Darker 河马 wrote:Liaison is a pain in listening. Often took me a second or more to figure out "ah OK, not any new words, it's the liaison ", by which time I was already lost in the conversation.
Did u do some training on liaison, or u just got used to it after massive audio input?

I've never targeted liasions specifically, but what helped me a lot to improve my listening skills in general was working with transcripts. For example, the Géopolitique podcast by France Inter publishes both the text and the soundfile online. When I started listening to native materials, I would read the transcript first to give may brain a chance to familiarize itself with the structures, vocabulary and content. Then I listened to the podcast, either with or without looking at the text several times, always concentrating on distinguishing the words and syllables as clearly as possible. Given the length of the podcast (2-3min), this takes about 10-15 minutes a day, more if you have to look up unknown vocabulary. The articles on the page are usually 90-95% accurate - they're not actually full transcripts of what was said, but more of what the presenter was going to say. Géopolitique is published Mo-Fr throughout the year, it is one of the few podcasts that rarely goes on break. If you want something longer, La revue de presse also publishes a transcript (6-7min). I'm sure there are others, you might have to look around the france inter/france culture pages for a bit to find topics that interest you.
2 x
~ Mühsam nährt sich das Eichhhörnchen ~
French: Half SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 50 Books: 0 / 50
Spanish: Full SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 100 Books: 0 / 100

I_likes_languages
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (N), English (C2)
Studying: French (C1), Mandarin (A1)
Atrophying: Italian (B1-2), Japanese (B1), Czech (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8281

Re: Isa's French Log + a bit of occasional ES, IT, JP or ZH

Postby I_likes_languages » Fri May 01, 2020 1:47 pm

It's been a while since my last post, but since it's May 1st, I couldn't miss the day. I signed up for a full Super Challenge in Spanish and a half SC in French (tracking here, may add Twitter). I think this will be my 4th SC. I've been playing around with both Spanish and Mandarin for the last couple of months, and as a result, haven't made any serious progress in either. I had tried to get my language learning away from the computer and online resources, but due to the virus, all my meetups, language classes and my French book club are cancelled for the foreseeable future, as well as all travel plans... so reading and watching TV is perfect atm.
4 x
~ Mühsam nährt sich das Eichhhörnchen ~
French: Half SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 50 Books: 0 / 50
Spanish: Full SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 100 Books: 0 / 100

munyag
Yellow Belt
Languages: Shona (N), Spanish (Beginner), French (Beginner)

Re: Isa's French Log + a bit of occasional ES, IT, JP or ZH

Postby munyag » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:50 am

I_likes_languages wrote:It's been a while since my last post, but since it's May 1st, I couldn't miss the day. I signed up for a full Super Challenge in Spanish and a half SC in French (tracking here, may add Twitter). I think this will be my 4th SC. I've been playing around with both Spanish and Mandarin for the last couple of months, and as a result, haven't made any serious progress in either. I had tried to get my language learning away from the computer and online resources, but due to the virus, all my meetups, language classes and my French book club are cancelled for the foreseeable future, as well as all travel plans... so reading and watching TV is perfect atm.

4 years down the line how's your French now?
1 x

Return to “Language logs”