nothing serious here

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: nothing serious here

Postby Cavesa » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:28 am

Kwiziq: B1 92.61, B2 50.33, C1 11.67

As I've realised, while reading Zelda's log, I should have taken lower level Spanish exams earlier. Had I not been a Harpagon and waiting to be sure of C1, I could have gotten B1 sometime around the DALF C2, B2 a year or so later, and C1 in time for signing up for the Spanish medicine exam MIR, and have more options now. Instead, I had to give up on this part of my plan, as there was simply no way I could focus on DELE right now, despite being C1ish.

Learn from my mistake. Take the exams as soon as you can. You never know, when you're gonna need them. Climbing from B1 up can be a motivation for progress. Actually, a lot of my classmates have been realising that lately. They focused on medicine so much and "didn't have time for languages", that many opportunities are now closed to them and there is no way to catch up. Somehow, they don't have more free time now than they used to have, what a surprise.

I am also considering paying for some French writing tutoring. I could do with non-medicine related human contact in French at an appropriate language level, developping somethin worthwhile. Creative writing has always intrigued me.
11 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 pm

I've just found out there is a job called "book influencer". What am I doing in medschool? I want to earn a living by reading 200 books a year and talking about them too!
8 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 am

A few harder days behind me. One failed exam, etc. But I saw a great art exhibition. Prague is beginning to be a good place for the fans of contemporary art too, if you are one. I cannot say I understand most of it, but I could appreciate some of the pieces and certainly the fascinating concept of the exhibition itself. And there is the Kupka, where I want to go again.

I have a month to prepare for two exams. But I don't have to go school anymore, so I have time. And I can sleep!!!

I have started some good habits thanks to the studying discord I have joined. Planting a Forest and throwing Pomodoroes at people sounds like a long term viable strategy.

I have three days left of my Kwiziq subscription. Let's see, whether I can finish it.

Another task before me: I need to prepare at least a part of a Czech version of the Assimil English as a Christmas present. I have no clue how fast (or rather how slowly) this will go.

Coordination of all this will require some planning and then sticking to the plan at all costs.

Fortunately, the Italian version of Lucifer is now running, so I cannot binge watch, I need to wait :-D
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:59 am

I've just finished one pomodoro of Kwiziq. That was intense!

Kwiziq is awesome, but I'll need to consuld my Gramatica de Uso on a few things, before I finally start getting them right (I hope). Aun/aún is one such a thing.

B1: Intermediate 93.97%
B2: Upper Intermediate 52.18%
C1: Advanced 20.81%

There are twelve topics in my Notebook now, at various phases.
How many topics left and still untouched are there on my brainmap? B1:4, B2:28, C1:4 (and several started ones, not in the notebook at the moment)
3 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Cavesa wrote:Fortunately, the Italian version of Lucifer is now running, so I cannot binge watch, I need to wait :-D

I just finished the 3rd season of Lucifer (in English). What a surprisingly good show! I'm so glad you mentioned it. It's rare to find shows where the characters are well developed and change over time, but they really did a good job with all the characters. I heard that it got cancelled but was picked up by Netflix. If Netflix ends up getting access to the first 3 seasons, then they might have it available with Italian audio (in which case I would even try to transcribe it). Are there any other shows you'd transcribe if you could?
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 am

Yes, there are many great shows. Hopefully, I'll have time for that transcription idea in the new year.

I am unlikely to finish Kwiziq in time. Family reasons. Emergencies never come at a convenient time, that is one of their basic characteristics. This is at least a normal kind of loss with a normal and fast progress (grandma was terminal), nothing uniquely horrible as usual, and I got the gift of an opportunity to say goodbye, and to say and hear a few extremely important sentences. I am very grateful for that. While grief may still appear in a much stronger form later (some things need time to settle), I am ok now. And glad it went probably the least bad way of the options. But I've needed and still need to devote a part of my time to my family, to give the others (mum above all) their space to grieve and do all that needs to be done. And I need to invest time in that damn medschool to finally finish that trash degree. One of the things grandma regretted was not living long enough to see me graduate. Well, I've been prolonging that hell for too long, that is true for many reasons.

Getting the most value for my one month payement of Kwiziq is not high on the list of priorities now. And again, it is an opportunity to point out the advantages of one time payment services and products and of buying books. A book doesn't mind waiting on the shelf. That is a key quality in a life full of unexpected unfortunate events.

I've recently started that new log of mine, hoping to have mostly positive things to write there. And a much better success/struggle ratio. Well, it's a good thing this one isn't locked.
Last edited by Cavesa on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 am

And I will never give such a hyperstupid name to any log of mine again. My life has a much bigger concentration of problems than most, no need to remind myself of the difference with such stupid details.

Nedráždi chřestýše bosou nohou v tlamě. Don't provoke a rattlesnake with a bare foot in its mouth. (a Czech saying)
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus. (the Harry Potter version)
1 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 am

I'm very sorry for your loss
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Condolences to you and your family. Look after yourself.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Language logs”