nothing serious here

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Re: nothing serious here

Postby renaissancemedici » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:37 am

I know what you mean, I also change my study plan day by day. I don't mean dramatic changes, but experience sort of guides you, doesn't it?

I don't know how you find the time for all this. Chapeau!

Good luck with your exam :)
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:41 pm

renaissancemedici wrote:I know what you mean, I also change my study plan day by day. I don't mean dramatic changes, but experience sort of guides you, doesn't it?

I don't know how you find the time for all this. Chapeau!

Good luck with your exam :)

I don't find the time, that is the problem! I feel I have run out of it already and am just waiting till the world notices. :-D

The experience comes too late, unfortunately. That is one of the saddest aspects of life. We don't know tons of important stuff until it is too late. And unfortunately, few people seem to share their experience in a useful way. It is more about people climbing the ladder and then pulling it up, not willing anyone to have it easier than them.

I would love to share mine, once I'll have finished some important stuff and feel qualified to do so (finishing my damn studies, getting a good enough score in the French medical exam, finally sitting and passing another language exam) but it is not so easy. I have already found that sharing experience that doesn't fit the common stereotypes gets lots of criticism, disbelief, and sometimes even verbal attacks. I think I am by far not the only one on this forum who has encountered this. Here, we usually stay within the limits of a pleasant discussion with various opinions represented, but it is much more difficult everywhere else.

The common language topics with this: criticism of most teachers and the group classes(hehe, reineke found and shared research saying the same things I happened to say based on "anecdotical experience", that was pretty satisfying), the extensive reading and listening (people are somehow very resistant to this, probably due to the indoctrination against this by language teachers), tips on how to really use an Erasmus well (yes, lots of the lessons learnt were not purely pleasant and flattering for me either), how to really practice a language despite the issue of some nations switching to English (somehow, everyone thinks people are logical and/or that the world stopped fifty years ago).
In the non-language areas, even SRS is considered such a weird new thing I must be just overly excited about, because "everyone knows" the proper way to study is to reread, rewrite, read out loud, reread,reread, and reread.

That makes me reluctant to share this experience anymore, I don't have time for this (a rather recent realisation that has been pending over my head for years), I try to choose those who could profit from some of the advise and/or share their valuable experience in return (which is the best!).

Don't get me wrong, this is not "I am awesome, follow me" attitude. It is more like "I failed here, and here, and over there, and then partially succeeded elsewhere", so that perhaps other people would not have to fail the same way and be free to invent brand new ways to fail and eventually succeed.

And getting useful advice is just as difficult. Even those who would like to share it are very rarely able to do so in a useful and meaningful manner. Some don't even listen to the questions perhaps, others just lack the true interest in helping the other person the way they need (for which you need to understand the person a bit, which doesn't need to take long). A classical example: the only studying advice I got from teachers and older medicine students was about putting lots of time into it regularly. But what to do with that time? How does one study? I didn't know much about it, I didn't need it much till university. Noone seemed to understand the question "how to study?". I never expected a tailored plan for my needs by someone not paid to spend fifty hours on it. But I've never got even the basic information I could build upon. I got information on the textbooks (or at least shorter but still long notes by older students) I was supposed to memorise (my faculty is really rubbish, thinking is often discouraged, it is mostly about memorisation of tons of things without much of prioritising by importance) but with no help how to do that.

This forum has changed my life completely (or perhaps we could say the HTLAL forum more precisely) exactly because of this. People are sharing their actual experience. Without false pride, without lying (the usual grain of salt necessary is much lower here than anywhere else I've been both on the internet and in the real life), with self-reflexion, with genuine pleasure from succeeding (and natural and deserved pride of it) and learning from mistakes, with care for the others and their path. That is something unique. People here genuinely want others to do just as well or better than themselves!

Thank you all!
17 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:28 pm

Sometimes, it is just impossible not to love German.

5 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:00 pm

I am back at German. And reconsidering learning it intensely, so that I can get a B2 exam during the winter. Who cares what makes me happy, moving out of this hole will make me happy.

It is so hard, but I am very motivated. German is quite nice but it is just so much harder than the more logical romance languages! I hated learning English for many reasons but German is almost as hard as English. It is more regular, but still complicated.

I hate my country and I fear for it. I am not gonna waste my life treating the worse half of my compatriots (and I couldn't anyways, as there is no treatment for their stupidity), I am not gonna destroy my personal life and hopes and the rests of my good health for them, I don't want to be their doctor until they deserve it. There is a real risk waiting till the June 2019 exams to France may be too long. Should things speed up, I need to leave this sinking boat asap, during the winter.

Only this nation is stupid enough to repeat mistakes. I am seriously afraid. And angry.

Getting a job in a safe country and gaining lots of money is the best revenge to the country that doesn't deserve me. It doesn't deserve any good, intelligent, and not lazy people. It will not have many left in just two or three decades.

It is so sad but I may not be good enough to get to France, and it may be too late (when the communists convince the government to leave the EU, noone will treat us so kindly and give us so much time to prepare as to the UK. we are worthless unlike them. The prime minister loves stealing the EU subventions for his companies, but finally the EU has noticed and might want to stop him, as noone in this country is able to do it, which will mean the end of his proEU inclinations). Germany is a much surer bet.

One of my main life goals is getting a citizenship of a country that deserves me, a country I could be proud of, a country that is well respected in the world and rich enough to work more or less smoothly. And learning German might be my only choice, if plan A fails. My children will not be czechs at all costs, my children will not have to feel ashamed every time anyone asks where they are from.

Even if it means I have to spend the next year studying all the time, even if it means I have to force all the German grammar in my head asap. A plan like 8-12 hours of medicine studies in French per day and 1-2 hours of German could work.

I need the German/French medicine students' work ethic. :-D

Cvičebnice současné němčiny
Němčina nejen pro samouky
Themen Aktuell 2
those are gonna be my daily companions again.
7 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:03 pm

The grass is always greener on the other side if the road.
6 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Bones wrote:Sure, no country is a pony ranch, to borrow a German idiom, but that doesn't make make her perceived reasons for wanting to move any more invalid. Your perception isn't her reality - hers is.

And sometimes, the grass is greener on the other side.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Xenops wrote:
Bones wrote:Sure, no country is a pony ranch, to borrow a German idiom, but that doesn't make make her perceived reasons for wanting to move any more invalid. Your perception isn't her reality - hers is.

And sometimes, the grass is greener on the other side.

True. Some of us are born into a country that doesn’t really fit us. Leaving my native country was probably one of the smartest things I’ve ever done. My chosen country might not be perfect (what country is?), but it matches me much better.
6 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:33 pm

Well if your plans don't work out, there's always the 2020 US diversity visa application.. Alaska is a medically underserved reigon and the pay for medical professionals is fantastic. You could come hang out with us :-D

I'm mostly just being funny but maybe it's like a plan F...
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks for your support. I know it looks as if I am complaining about nothing and just naively looking to the outside countries. But you haven't seen what is happening here. When it is obvious from the outside too, it might as well be too late to leave.

The grass really IS greener on the other side of the former Iron Curtain. The economy shows it more than clearly and nothing is really improving, the state of the healthcare is objectively horrible here (it will crumble in five years or so, it is already failing in many areas, and just one more wave of retiring doctors is gonna kill it), the politics is just a symptom of a horrible sick envious stupid society that I do not want to serve. Our history shows one thing: czechs do not value intelligent people, do not support us, they just envy us, and they make our lives as horrible as they can. And no other country is able to repeat the same mistakes so much as this one. How could I want to treat people who still see the society as a war between the social classes and blame everyone but themselves for their misery, including the doctors?

Why would I want to stay here?

My criteria for a country I want:

-a healthcare where I can learn something. Everything I am interested in is horrible in the Czech Republic and I am backing this claim with 20 years of experience, I know what I am talking about. This is a great country for cancer prevention, neonatal care, or to get a heart attack in or for a lot of other diseases that bore me to tears, but anything I want to do is twenty or thirty years retarded. Belgium, France, the Switzerland are the best in what I am intereted in. Why should I want to learn from people who know nothing at all, who don't do any valuable published research, and not even follow it?

-a climate I won't be ill in for 4 months per year (yes, I've tested my theory and it works. I was quite ok in France. Here, noone is able to help me and no employer will tolerate this). France qualifies (most of it), Spain and Italy do (but I couldn't get work there, their doctors are fleeing too), Germany partially qualifies (the southern parts).

-a salary I can live off and which is higher or at least the same than that of people with beautiful youth outside of medicine and their health kept more intact (in the Czech Republic, a doctor several years after faculty still takes 2/3 of a shop assistant in a supermarket or 1/2 of a factory worker at Škoda. and with that doctor salary you pay the rent and have got a few hundred euro left for food and good luck with anything more. you can get more, if you give up your personal life completely but it is still the same pay the McDonald's workers get per hour). France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, the Switzerland, those are the good countries. Really, the czech economy is at 80% of the german one but the salaries are 60% at most. Why should I want to stay here, where everything is worse? Double quality of the food, double quality of netflix, double quality of everything within the EU and this country always gets the worse part. And it will not improve. Ever. There is nothing wrong in wanting to get the highest financial compensation possible for all my sacrifice.

There are many more important things in life than money. Either I've lost them to medicine already and won't get them back. Or I will never get them. So, I need to be a realist in my demands.

-a country I wouldn't need to worry about, one 100% established in the west, with good economy, with a strong position in the EU, a country I can personally identify with, a country famous in the world. Anything that is not postcommunist will do.

-a country my boyfriend will be able to get a job in, and from where we can still keep contact with our families here. We are probably too much of europeans in heart and also in our needs. And he wouldn't get a job for example in Spain these days, that was the deciding factor to give up on that dream.

I should probably visit Berlin again. A few years ago, I found a nice shop with medical textbooks there and I should probably buy one or two well chosen ones for medical language.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:02 am

-a country I wouldn't need to worry about

There's no such country. Life is unpredictable.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”