nothing serious here

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: nothing serious here

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:36 am

Ok, so tonight there has already been both the loud snoring and crying it seems. What a night. And I'm out of coffee.

But there is a sentence I am a bit unsure about in my textbook. Are they saying the same thing twice or am I missing something here? :-D
Les anomalies de la miction provoquent des symptômes du bas appareil urinaire qui sont ressentis différemment d'un individu à l'autre et ressentis de manière variable d'un individu à l'autre.

It looks like the authors and correctors were just as bored and tired of writing this as I am reading it :-D
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:51 am

Cavesa wrote:Ok, so tonight there has already been both the loud snoring and crying it seems. What a night. And I'm out of coffee.

But there is a sentence I am a bit unsure about in my textbook. Are they saying the same thing twice or am I missing something here? :-D
Les anomalies de la miction provoquent des symptômes du bas appareil urinaire qui sont ressentis différemment d'un individu à l'autre et ressentis de manière variable d'un individu à l'autre.

It looks like the authors and correctors were just as bored and tired of writing this as I am reading it :-D

Is it the second "d'un individu à l'autre" That seems misplaced and they are trying to say that individuals feel the symptoms differently AND within each individual symptoms can be varying (not constant)? .... Idk. I see what your saying :)

I was just reading through the book "a mind for numbers" and the author was talking about an experiment with science students where they were asked to read a paper, cover it, try to write a summary, then go back and do it again until they could do it. The group that worked this way *felt* like they'd be learning less effectively but in fact memorized far faster. Added bonus that memories actually improved long term with this technique.

Just thinking about it since you were recently talking about memory problems. This same technique is actually the basis for the Charlotte Mason education method so I know there is at least 100 years of anecdotal evidence too that attestes to memory improvement and excellent recall of massive amounts of text.
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:02 am

Cavesa wrote:Ok, so tonight there has already been both the loud snoring and crying it seems. What a night. And I'm out of coffee.

I’d have taken it as something like, A may experience a given symptom and B may not, and C may, but A and C may experience it differently in intensity, presentation, duration, whatever. But your French is much better than mine!
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:35 pm

Systematiker wrote:

I’d have taken it as something like, A may experience a given symptom and B may not, and C may, but A and C may experience it differently in intensity, presentation, duration, whatever. But your French is much better than mine!

I know what they most probably meant, the purpose was sharing a funny sentence, not asking for the meaning (but thanks for trying to help). It's just the fact the sentence looks as if someone asleep had been writing it. It is actually not important as this is the most universal sentence in the whole medicine no matter the language, I say this at every exam at some point :-D

But the funniest part about this: the chapter had two auteurs, one relecteur, and I suppose Elsevier has books checked by an editor or what is the function called before printing them. So, four people.

It happens in every language. I remember being regularly confused in a histology coursebook, and not just because of the content, and I was not alone. A sentence over five lines, starting on one pages and ending on the next one. You turn the page a few times forwards and back, trying to find the verb that might make it all clearer. There wasn't one!

The medicine students get often asked about Latin. Like "is it hard?" or more commonly "it must be so difficult to understand all the Latin, isn't it?" Actually no, Latin is the easier part. The native language of the author is usually worse :-D

I have an exam tomorrow, it doesn't look well.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:16 pm

update +Spanish Nouns 1:
before today: out of the 4285 words total: 346 words "learnt", 713 ignored
today: 367 learnt, 732 ignored. So, I am now about 1 quarter done with the course.

If I had tons of time (which is getting disturbingly close to the usual "if I won a lottery"), I would like to rework this course. Perhaps I will do some of the changes, when I download it for anki. The change: getting rid of as many similar English words in the question as possible. You know, that cohésion=cohesion stuff.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:47 pm

I passed the exam yesterday.

These are the moments dividing real interest in a language from the procrastination madness. :-D
12 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:42 pm

For some weird reason, I desire to learn Italian again! It makes no logical sense. Who cares! I have one day of holidays now, I am starting medicine learning tomorrow again. So, let's see, whether this sudden desire will survive the crash with reality, a bit of time with the coursebooks.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Two more exams are coming in the next few weeks. But I still feel like learning Italian on the side, that is a problem. :-D
The last exam of this wave is on the 11th July. After that, I will give myself 5 weeks of holidays, which means more time for language learning, more time for the ECN preparation, hopefully more time for working, and hopefully some awesome lazy "just nothing" too. :-)

I am starting a blog on wordpress about my horribly impossible quest to get a good enough score in that French medecine exam next year to get a place I would like (as I'd rather leave medicine than become a generalist. that is not lack of respect towards this hyperimportant field, it is just the knowledge I am not suitable for that and I would be extremely unhappy). It will be most probably in French and Czech. And it will keep a lot of stuff separate from this log. (mostly my despair :-D ). I seem to be a really lost case. But I have already been a lost case a few times before, I have experience :-D.

I miss lots of qualities I admire and would love to have (and the better medicine students have them), despite all my attempts to train them. I am at a disadvantage in various personal and health aspects and I am still not good enough at countering them (yes, I know vast majority of people with lives similar to mine don't get so "far", but it is still not enough to me.) But there is something I excel at: the lost fights. Sometimes I turn them around and win (more often barely than gloriously), sometimes I just salvage what is possible from those ruins, sometimes I at least lose with honour. And the amount of luck I get at the worst times simply doesn't leave much space for doubts that Lord has some pretty demanding and unique plan for me, if I manage to fulfil the requirements and not give up :-D (I hope all those atheists around here will forgive me this note).

That's what I console myself with, looking at my horrible scores in the blank exams and practice exercises. I have already proven people and their expectations wrong before, I can prove them wrong again. Let's see, how it works out.

This log will therefore be much more about just languages again, thanks to this other place on the internet. Yes, my medicine studies are a lot about languages too, I made them that way. But I think this topic has already been mined to the bottom already. But should anyone ever feel the need to ask about professional or specifically medical language acquisition, preparation for stays abroad, the bleak image of the healthcare and medicine studies in my country and some others, I'll always be glad to share my "wisdom" :-D. I just don't want to bother everyone with not only this stuff anymore.

It looks weird, I know, but I want to pass a language exam at the end of this year. To prove myself I still can. To feel success again, one I would be able to genuinely enjoy (unlike my school exams). To find out whether I have really lost a large part of my IQ during the medicine studies (that is a fairly common impression among the students, thinking is not a quality my faculty values much). To get rid of the feeling my language learning has completely fallen apart and of the imposter syndrome, whenever I talk about my level and/or experience in the non-certified languages.

It could even be a poll question: What am I most likely to prepare for during the year and pass:
-a Spanish exam, given my C1/C2ish comprehension skills, B2ish grammar, and recent lack of practice of speaking and writing
1.DELE B2 (not the one I really want but still something)
2.DELE C1
3.SIELE (hoping for good results, to not hurt my self-confidence any further)
-a German exam, given the need for this language, my B1ish comprehension and very weak knowledge of everything else
4.Goethe B1 (not the one the hospitals want but still something)
5.Goethe B2 (would require a lot of work during the summer, perhaps too much)
-an Italian exam, as my comprehension is really good and it is easier to learn thanks to my other romance languages, and my ego would stomach a lower level than with Spanish
6.CELI B1
7.CELI B2
6 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:27 am

And I'm supposed to pick what you should do or what you're most likely to do? :). I'm pretty sure "most likely" goes to an Italian exam, since Italian seems to be your main source of fun and a B level exam is probably significantly discounted after your romance experience.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Ani wrote:And I'm supposed to pick what you should do or what you're most likely to do? :). I'm pretty sure "most likely" goes to an Italian exam, since Italian seems to be your main source of fun and a B level exam is probably significantly discounted after your romance experience.

That's actually what I wanted to hear :-D Thank you!

Now I need someone to convince my stupid and overloaded brain that nope, starting Japanese right now is NOT a good idea. And no, a possibility of visiting Japan again next year doesn't change that. Neither does the existence of such a fun and at the same time useful looking app as Lingodeer.

Perhaps the universities' professors should adapt some of the motivation techniques. Instead of lecturing students on how stupid we are, how much we should think about ourselves and repent, they could just show us pictures of crying deers. It might even work, unlike their currently applied methods.

Italian is fun for now but I must not spend too much time on it.

And I accidentally found a very good anki deck, Spanish from Czech, with like 35000 cards
2 x

Return to “Language logs”