nothing serious here

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

nothing serious here

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 14, 2018 6:50 pm

The previous log grew up a bit and got chaotic. That happens to me, unfortunately. So, it is time for a new one, as the new SC has started. This is not a moment for ambitious goals unfortunately. I have too much going on. But it is definitely a moment to have fun with my languages, draw more energy from them, and perhaps accidentally improve by the way. This is not the time to torture myself (ok it is, I need to lose a few kg, but that is a different kind of torture :-D ). I'm giving up on lots of my plans.

I need to keep this simple. FEWER GOALS. More natural fun. If I tend to do something anyways, why not embrace it. :-D
If I manage to get through the rest of May and June with a bit of my sanity left, I'll speed my language learning up again.

The three pillars of my language learning from now on:

1.The Super Challenge.
I signed up for a few. A full German one, double reading only Spanish and double reading only Italian, and half French, for which only stuff unrelated to my medicine studies count.
Expect to see lots of fantasy and similar books here, I need that.

2.Digital toys and SRS.
Kwiziq (when I have money for it, or at least the few free tests a month), Memrise, Anki, Duolingo German (it has a good impact on me, despite all the shortcomings), Closemaster. Anything I can stick to for a bit will do. Anki is the main challenge here, I really need to make it a habit.

3.Coursebook- one at a time for all my languages together.
No need to worry much about not balanced learning, just getting through something will give me a bit of an ego boost :-D
And working systematically on one language is still better than on none.
9 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: nothing serious here

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 14, 2018 6:51 pm

The Super Challenge

The Progress bars:
Cvičebnice španělské gramatiky: 1 / 91
Duolingo German: 196 / 608
Last edited by Cavesa on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon May 14, 2018 10:17 pm

Cavesa wrote: I'm giving up on lots of my plans.
I need to keep this simple. FEWER GOALS. More natural fun. If I tend to do something anyways, why not embrace it. :-D
If I manage to get through the rest of May and June with a bit of my sanity left, I'll speed my language learning up again.
3.Coursebook- one at a time for all my languages together.
No need to worry much about not balanced learning, just getting through something will give me a bit of an ego boost :-D
And working systematically on one language is still better than on none.

This all sounds so familiar, like I could have written it myself ;) Also I had never heard of Kwiziq - I'm very intrigued. I will book more it for when I have more time (so...after September?). That said, good luck with everything!
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

renaissancemedici
Orange Belt
Languages: Greek (N), English (C2), French (B2), Italian (A2), German (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 25#p100832

Postby renaissancemedici » Tue May 15, 2018 4:57 am

I know how you feel!
0 x
I use Assimil right now as a starting point, but at the same time I am building the foundation for further studies of German.

Assimil German with ease: 8 / 100

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Tue May 15, 2018 5:11 am

I love your willingness to ditch a log and start again. It's very refreshing. Wishing you all the best in your new home.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Wed May 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Thank you all!

I wrote a lot about Kwiziq in my previous log. I don't know whether to post a link here and therefore basically quote myself. You know, we have a former president, who loves to quote himself the same way you and I would quote Shakespeare or Confucius :-D That is a rather scary example of egoism :-D However, I really recommend trying Kwiziq out. And will post the link to those posts here in case of interest.

The first few notes to this log:

To the SC: I need to count in the first movie for it, Captain America:Civil war in French. It took 2:20, so 1 and half movie unit.
I am still reading that Spanish thriller and I am stuck. I don't have much energy for it somehow.

For the digital toys section: My German Duolingo is now at 190 crowns out of the 608. It is getting boring but it is still something I can fit into a busy day. And the quality of the German tree is good, for what I want it for.

For the coursebook section: The first one to tackle in my new log is Método 3, a B1 Spanish coursebook. I had completed majority of the first unit, so now is time to go on.
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed May 16, 2018 6:02 pm

No worries about posting a link! I did a search on your old long to see your thoughts on duolingo (as I suspected they were similar to mine) so it isn't any trouble for me to find your posts on Kwiziq. If this was the old forum I would have different thoughts on that ;)
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 am

The previous French "word of the day" (heh, as if I was adding one per day) was je-m'en-foutisme.

Today, it is a marvellous adjective "gnagnant", which I understand only vaguely. I'd say it is something like stupid, kitsch, embarassing. Anyone could tell me more? I love the sound of this word! :-D

some examples from the internet:
Par exemple vous verrez jamais superman ou le pr Xavier péter un cable. Blade coupe la tete des vampires mais c'est son boulot, il le fait point. Spiderman il est trop gnagnant etc.

C'est étrange comme les gens peuvent passer d'un ''les films d'amours, c'est gnagnant, allons vite voir un film froid et chiant comme Dellamorte Dellamore :roll: '' à un ''ahhh les histoires d'amours, c'est cool'' (Alors que l'amour sous toute ses formes dirige le cinema).

par exemple des dessins gnangnans
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 am

Italian has an equivalent to je-m'en-foutisme that I see even more commonly: menefreghismo (and menefreghisti etc.). I wonder if Spanish has one too...
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Thu May 17, 2018 2:46 pm

garyb wrote:Italian has an equivalent to je-m'en-foutisme that I see even more commonly: menefreghismo (and menefreghisti etc.). I wonder if Spanish has one too...

There is a Czech-Slovak one, probably invented by a friend (or perhaps it really exists in her home region, one never knows with the eastern slovaks). But it is definitely not polite but I love that word. There is also a polite one but that is really outdated: "Mouchy snězte si mě." (="flies, eat me") For example a parent could say it to their lazy and phlegmatic child "no jo, ty seš takovej mouchy snězte si mě." or perhaps a grandparent would. But I can't remember the last time I heard it, perhaps in my childhood? (And it was definitely not said about me). The impolite one made by my friend is much closer to the je-m'en-foutisme.

I've just failed an exam (like twenty minutes ago). I passed a different tiny one (or rather a prerequisite to a large one) last week, so at least something went well. It was fair this time, no complaints, no faculty sadism, and they really wanted what they had taught, it was a good exam. I was really horrible, so it is ok I failed. I don't care anymore, which is a bit of a problem.

I have a singing class in less than half an hour. I've had them really irregularily lately, which is a problem, I cannot progress that well (and we had started a wonderful thing by Rossini just before the last pause). Later today, I will reward myself for at least going there and staying. I think it's time to start a new superhero series, this time in German. I think I might be ready. Or something else language related. Anything fun.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”