Stealing time and grappling with fickle devotion (Cantonese, Italian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
zKing
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Learning: Cantonese, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7973

Re: Stealing time and grappling with fickle devotion

Postby zKing » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Cantonese Progress Report 9/17/2018

End Goal: For our next trip to HK (likely early 2019), I would like to be 'conversational' in Cantonese.
Start of current Project: 5/16/2018, Week of year 20/52
Current Week of the year: 38/52, 19 weeks into the project.

Anki
Daily New: 10
Daily Reviews: ~80-100
Daily Time: ~20m
Total Cards: 3490
Unseen: 314
Young: 602
Mature: 631
Suspended: 1943

I'm tiring of Anki, but I'm keeping with it. I'm now at a point that, out of laziness, I'm VERY rarely marking a card 'fail'. I usually mark it 'hard' unless I completely blank and it was a card I deem important. As mentioned last week, I'm not sure if I will stick with Anki long term if I can develop a sufficient writing habit... or perhaps I'll restart with a really tight set of cards. I'm not thinking too much about it just yet.

Output
Writing: 2650 characters
Last Week: 250
ROL/Shadow/Chorus: 6:00
Last Week: 0

I did a little bit of writing last week, but then life took over and I fell off the wagon. This week is looking even busier, so I'll try to do better, but I'm not giving it good odds.

Input
Time is content run time, not wall clock study time.
Total: 49:00
Last Week: 2:00

This was a nice run of intensive listening (basically six 20min chunks of the TV show). I'm about 2/3 of the way through this show's 30 ~40min episodes and I can tell my listening (and subtitle reading) is getting better and better. I've collected over 4k words in my vocab spreadsheet and now when I add 'new' words from my intensive listening, 1/2 to 2/3 of the words are duplicates.

iTalki
Lessons: 11
Last Week: 1

Had a good session last week, it had been a few weeks since our last session as both Eldo and I had conflicts, but to my surprise it felt like I was able to jump back in without too much trouble. While I'm very slowly getting better, I still flail, generate word salad, sometimes can't remember words I need, etc. etc. ... but that all feels more normal now. :)

No session with Eldo this week as I have a conflict.

Generally, work is ramping up this week, so it is going to be a bit more of a challenge to keep my studies going, but we'll see how it goes. Onward.
3 x

zKing
Orange Belt

Postby zKing » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Cantonese Progress Report 9/24/2018

End Goal: For our next trip to HK (likely early 2019), I would like to be 'conversational' in Cantonese.
Current Week of the year: 39/52, 20 weeks into the project.

Anki
Unseen: 242
Young: 629
Mature: 672
Suspended: 1947

Output

Input
Time is content run time, not wall clock study time.
Total: 49:40
Last Week: 0:40

iTalki
Lessons: 11

Last week was quite busy at work so not a lot of progress. Will likely be the same story this week as well.
Pushing on.
1 x

zKing
Orange Belt

Postby zKing » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Cantonese Progress Report 10/1/2018

Current Week of the year: 40/52, 21 weeks into the project out of ~32.

Anki
Unseen: 172
Young: 645
Mature: 725
Suspended: 1948

Output

Input
Total Content Run Time: 51:00
Last Week: 1:20

iTalki
Total Lesson Time: 12:00
Last Week: 1:00

I don't have much time to write this report, but it was another busy week so I only got in minimal study time. I've switched my measure of iTalki into time as before I was doing only 1 hour sessions, but I may try to do some 30 minute sessions and perhaps do them more than once per week to give my conversational skills more regular practice and the shorter sessions will be much easier to fit into my schedule.
1 x

zKing
Orange Belt

Postby zKing » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Cantonese Progress Report 10/8/2018

Current Week of the year: 41/52, 22 weeks into the project out of ~32.

Anki
Cards are Production only: Meaning -> Jyutping
Unseen: 100
Young: 668
Mature: 772
Suspended: 1950

Output

No Output (beyond iTalki) this week.

I saw a video this week that at one point talked about pronunciation and suggested an interesting exercise... I might try it.
The exercise:
  1. In your L1, write one rather long 'island' introducing yourself, why you are learning your TL, job, family, etc. It should be something like 5 mins total if spoken.
  2. With the help of a native speaker, get it translated very accurately and native-like into your L2.
  3. Practice reading it out loud (no need to memorize it)
  4. Record yourself reading it out loud.
  5. Give the L2 transcript and your recording to a native speaker, have them mark each point in the transcript where your pronunciation was not correct.
  6. Ask some questions about those issues, then go back to step #3.
The important ideas behind this exercise:
  • You get fluent in a nice long talk which contains 90% of what you are likely to say in your TL to any new speaker of your TL.
  • By recording yourself and having a native mark the pronunciation mistakes, you get very specific point by point feedback, can spot patterns, can avoid only getting generalizations about your mistakes, etc.
  • In a talk this long you are likely to encounter a very large portion of the pronunciation challenges in your L2 and can practice getting them right over and over.
  • Early on, you can instruct your tutor: "Please only mark my really bad mistakes, stuff you barely understand" and later on say "Please mark anything that doesn't sound 100% native"
  • Even though you won't explicitly make the effort to memorize this island, if you practice it over and over until you can say it quite fluently and accurately, many of these sentences and phrases will likely come to you in time of need.
The claim was that this exercise can help you develop a VERY good pronunciation. I believe it. Now the question is: do I believe it is worth the effort. :D

Input
Total Content Run Time: 53:00
Last Week: 2:00

I spent a considerable amount of time watching YouTube videos with subs this week, I even found some that had accurate Cantonese subs (instead of SWC). Some of these were with non-native (but quite fluent) speakers. While I normally would not use non-native speaker content, these videos had accurate subs (which is exceedingly rare) and I believe that they spoke a tiny bit slower and more simply allowing MUCH higher comprehension. I won't be using this content exclusively, but it was nice to be able to mix in this novel content which was so much easier to understand.

On another topic, I think I'm going to try to LR the novel 男人唔可以窮. I've had this book for a while and it is one of the rare books written completely in spoken form Cantonese. Not so long ago, I found a podcast where some radio show had read the book out loud over the course of about 30 half hour shows. It doesn't follow the book EXACTLY word for word, but its is pretty darn close. They throw in some extra sentences here and there for radio drama, mostly exclamations or lead ins to new paragraphs. The book is pretty advanced, vocabulary-wise, but I think I'm ready to tackle it. I may repeatedly short-loop listen through some chapters, sentence by sentence, or just straight up LR it... I haven't decided.

Also, I think I've noticed a pattern with many (not all) really successful language learners: They do a lot more repetition than I do with each bit of their content. I usually listen to content 1, maybe 2 times and move on fairly quickly. I may come back to it, but usually it is months later after I've completely forgotten all of it and it is 'interesting' to me again. As just one example, Luca will take the same dialog and listen to it through multiple passes, first with just audio, then LR, then he'll look up all the vocab, then he'll listen to it again until he really understands it all... and later he'll even translate L1 -> L2. While I make progress by listening just 1-2 times and moving on to something else, I think I could progress FASTER if I really focus on one bit of content through a few passes until I'm getting 90-98%+ transparency with it before moving on. To mix metaphors: I think I'm leaving some low hanging fruit on the table when listen just 1-2 times. This will have to be balanced with my boredom meter; I'm not going to turn my language learning time into a grind. But I think even a slight upward adjustment of the "repeat knob" would be a good thing.

iTalki
Total Lesson Time: 13:30
Last Week: 1:30

I had a 1 hour session with Eldo and a 30min session with a new Tutor, Jason. I used to do 1 hour sessions with Eldo once per week. But that schedule had two issues:
  • It was hard to fit a full 1 hour block in my schedule regularly (and schedule it way ahead)
  • I felt that the single session per week was too spread out. After the single session my brain would be spinning intensely with Cantonese, but after a few days it would sort of die out and the next week it would feel like I had to cold start the engine all over again.
So I decided I would try to do multiple 30 min sessions each week. Eldo only does tutoring Monday and Tuesdays, so I needed a second tutor for other days of the week, and I found Jason. Our first session was great, Jason basically just kept asking me questions and I did almost all of the talking. It all felt pretty fluid, although the introduction 'get to know you' questions are a pretty easy topic for me to talk about.

This week I have two 30 min sessions with Eldo (Mon, Tue) and one 30 min session with Jason (Thu).

Until next time...
4 x

zKing
Orange Belt

Postby zKing » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Cantonese Progress Report 10/15/2018

Current Week of the year: 42/52, 23 weeks into the project out of ~32.

Anki
Unseen: 115
Young: 690
Mature: 817
Suspended: 1868

I'm running low on unseen cards, so I need to go back and cherry pick out another few hundred from the big pile of suspended cards that I bulk suspended a while ago. I did a few last week, but I should do another big batch to get me through another month or two. I also haven't bulk added cards from my Google sheet into Anki in a while, I've got probably another 1k words collected... although most of them probably aren't so useful as production cards at this point as they are mostly much lower frequency than what I already have.

Output

Input
Total Content Run Time: 55:20
Last Week: 2:20

I found a Chrome Extension called "Youtube Subscription(Collection) Manager" that allowed me to group my 100+ YouTube subscriptions into folders/collections. Sadly it doesn't allow nesting, but it triggered me to sort out all my YouTube channels into folders like "Italian", "Language Learning, General", "Cantonese - Top", "Cantonese - Extra Junk", "Guitar", "Backing Tracks", etc. This was a useful exercise as I was forced to critically examine each Cantonese channel for its actual utility as a learning resource based on subtitles and level appropriate native spoken content. I also rediscovered a few channels that I had long ago forgotten. I now have a folder with 11 channels that I consider high value for learning Cantonese (and the other 59 channels of Cantonese got put into the 'other' bucket.) This means I have a short list of goto channels when I want a bite sized snack of Cantonese.

I've known for a while that Netflix had some Cantonese language content, however just searching for "Cantonese" on my TV's Netflix app (my main Netflix watching app) was rather hit and miss. There were some old movies and many of the hits really weren't in Cantonese... so I didn't bother. But last week I was on the Netflix _website_ and noticed that when I did a search for "Cantonese" a couple lines of text below the search box gave alternate searches, one of which was "Audio in Cantonese", another "Cantonese-Language Movies & TV". Now THESE searches gave great results. I found a ton of content that had Cantonese audio with both English and Traditional Chinese subs. Lots of goods stuff there, including some translated anime which will likely be very level appropriate for me. I also tried this for Italian and similarly found LOTS of great stuff! :)

I started to look at LR'ing the novel 男人唔可以窮. The podcast audio I have for it has some beginning and ending filler and doesn't perfectly line up with the text, so I spent some time trimming the first 10 episodes of the audio (out of 30) in Audacity. But I haven't started actually using it just yet.

I'm now half way through episode #28 out of 30 of my TVB drama (心戰 - Master of Play) which I've been intensively watching for many weeks now. This show accounts for about half of the total content time shown above and a large portion of the vocab mining that generated my Anki cards. As would be expected, my listening abilities have significantly improved since I start with this show; my need to pause to do word look-ups is far less than at the start. While I wouldn't consider the show to be especially great television, it was entertaining enough to keep me going... but I'll be glad when I'm done with it and can move on to something else as the meat of my input. :)

iTalki
Total Lesson Time: 14:30

I had two 30 minute sessions last week, one with Eldo, one with Jason. I had another one scheduled with Eldo but that day my schedule fell apart and I had to cancel last minute. Thankfully Eldo is very understanding. This week I've got two scheduled with Eldo, but I have a conflict on Thursday with Jason so I'm not scheduling with him this week.

Onward and upward.
2 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:23 pm

I really enjoy reading your log! You very clearly detail your regular study activities and make it easy for all of us to see how you apply yourself to learning.

Early 2019 is coming up, how would you rate your conversational ability?

And what are those eleven top YouTube channels? :D
2 x

zKing
Orange Belt

Postby zKing » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Axon wrote:I really enjoy reading your log! You very clearly detail your regular study activities and make it easy for all of us to see how you apply yourself to learning.

Early 2019 is coming up, how would you rate your conversational ability?

And what are those eleven top YouTube channels? :D

Thanks!

At the start of this project I think I was low B1 listening and low A2 speaking; I never really spoke much previously so I really had no practice. In the past 6 months or so, I'd say I've achieved a solid B1 in both and I think I'm getting close to low B2. I'm not quite at B2's "regular interaction with native speakers [is] quite possible without strain"... my 30-60 min iTalki sessions are now fairly fluid and almost exclusively in Cantonese, but I wouldn't yet call them even "mostly without strain". I still make lots of word salad, have too many vocabulary gaps and need things repeated a bit too often. Eldo thinks I'm higher than I claim, but I think that is because my vocabulary is fairly broad, with all the reading and Anki work, so he is sometimes surprised by some of the words I can understand and produce. I'm pretty happy with the progress and I still have roughly another 1/3 of my time frame left. Frankly, my abilities now are close enough to the level of 'conversational' that I was targeting that I'm already considering the whole thing a big success. That said, I'm going to push on and focus particularly hard on my listening skills in an attempt to get those skills as high as possible before our trip to HK.

My favorite Cantonese YouTube channels include these 9 which have either spoken Cantonese subs or dual English/SWC subs. Note that some of these channels have older videos which are Cantonese subs and newer videos that are SWC subs (sadly, I think they switched to broaden their audience). I especially enjoy the first two in the list:
- 西DorSi
- 煮家男人 Bob's Your Uncle
- FHMedia
- FHProductionHK
- Pat Pat English
- Mira's Garden
- cookaka
- 唔熟唔食 Cook King Room
- Arm Channel TV

I also really enjoy RTHK's content, especially 鏗鏘集 even though it uses SWC subs. The Cantonese announcer has a very clear voice and the content is usually interesting and there are a TON of episodes.
- RTHK 香港電台

I also have this channel which is a kids Cartoon dubbed in Cantonese with SWC subs:
- 樱桃小丸子粤语版第
3 x

zKing
Orange Belt

Postby zKing » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Cantonese Progress Report 10/24/2018

A belated report as I was travelling domestically on my usual Monday report day...

Current Week of the year: 43/52, 24 weeks into the project out of ~32.

Anki
Total Cards: 4490
Unseen: 207
Young: 669
Mature: 015
Suspended: 2699

Note that these numbers are shifted 1 day from my regular weekly cadence of reporting. I did a snap shot from Tuesday's numbers rather than Monday. Last week I bulk added another 1k cards from the Raw Found Vocab spreadsheet I have in Google Sheets... and then instantly suspended all of them. I also cherry picked a few more card from the whole set to un-suspend.
So far, even with trips etc, I haven't missed a day of reviews.

Output

Input
Total Content Run Time: 59:00
Last Week: 3:40

I finally finished the TVB series I was watching (心戰 - Master of Play) which accounted for a total of 20 hours of content time, all intensive listening... which is probably 3x-4x times that in wall clock time. This was the bulk of my study time and I can tell there's been a massive improvement in my listening skills. More on that later. I haven't decided what I'm going to tackle next, I have a lot of choices as I've got over 15 full TV series ripped from my DVD's although some of these are older series from the 80's with less than optimal audio or period shows likely with a lot of non-current speech, so I'm narrowing my selection slightly. But now that the rate at which I can effectively use content that only has SWC subs has really improved, I'm spoiled for choice. I also have a ton of YouTube content and movies as well, but I'd like to always have a TV series going as it requires no thought for "what is next" and the common themes are easier to follow than jumping from movie to movie.

Edit: One big thing I forgot...
I started to semi-transcribe the podcast of the reading of the book 男人唔可以窮. What I mean by semi-transcribe: I have an electronic version of the original forums posts that the printed novel was created from. I also have a print copy of the book. The podcast is some radio station program where a guy is reading the book... but he's taken a lot of liberties with it. There are a lot of differences between the three versions I have. So I'm listening to the podcast and editing a copy of the electronic version of the text I have (sometimes checking the printed book to see if it has text more accurate to the audio)... and I'm attempting to make an accurate transcript of the podcast. It is surprisingly difficult in some places as the radio guy has changed certain parts or chosen different wording and the audio is highly compressed so the quality is less than optimal, but it is a great exercise for my ears. I've completed the first ~10 minute section which is the introduction (although when I listen in Audacity, I have it slowed by 20% to make it easier.) I have a few suspect bits but I'll probably have my wife or one of my iTalki tutors help me correct it. The total audio is about 15 hours of solid spoken Cantonese, so if I work my way through all of it, I think I'll really have pushed my ears one more level up.

iTalki
Total Lesson Time: 15:30

I had a one hour session with Eldo last week (actually two 30 min sessions back-to-back, but whatever)... I was tired and my brain was refusing to go into Cantonese mode, but we muddled through anyhow.

General:

I had a domestic trip (zero non-NL exposure...boo hiss) for a long weekend this last weekend and had two interesting events of note for LL. First, on the flight out there were no video screens on the plane so I thumbed through the Cantonese audio on my phone and started playing something I haven't listened to in a long time. It was the Cantonese audio track for the "How to Train Your Dragon" movie. I haven't listened to this content in at least a year, certainly before my current project which started in May. And to be honest, when I listened to it before, it was a wall of Cantonese sounding babble. I knew the story well, but I'd only catch a word here and there. I sometimes played it in my car from time to time with an "anything is better than nothing" attitude when I couldn't stand to listen to the Teach Yourself dialogs loop for the 10 millionth time. But THIS time I understood a LOT of it. I just let it play through and I was getting 50-80% of it on the fly... without even SWC subs. Now to be clear, I've seen this movie a few times, I can picture the scenes pretty clearly as they happen and I know the English dialog quite well... but still it was a crazy rush. Note that in the past I've attempted to transcribe some of this with access to both subs and didn't get far; I've also listened to this audio track a TON with various level of focus ... and I never got very far. It wasn't until I did this most recent project that contained a very steady diet of intensive listening that I broke through that wall. I know this will ruffle some feathers: But I now believe even less in the "just listen even if you don't understand" method. I did boat loads of that with Cantonese and whatever progress was being made was pretty much imperceptible. At least for distant languages, IMO intensive work is all but required to make any reasonable progress.

The second interesting thing was on the flight home: I saw the first half of a documentary called "Being George Clooney". I didn't have time to finish it before the plane landed, but it was a very interesting film showing a lot of the background of how Hollywood movies get dubbed into other languages. Lots of fun for a language nerd. I just checked and it's on Netflix, yay! :)
Last edited by zKing on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:03 pm

What do you do for intensive listening?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zKing
Orange Belt

Postby zKing » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:49 pm

rdearman wrote:What do you do for intensive listening?

I explained it at a high level here:
https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 92#p119560

But to add some more detail:

First a bit of background, much of the content you can find for Cantonese has only Standard Written Chinese (SWC) subtitles and those subs are often burned into the video (no ability to easily cut/paste or type them into a dictionary). However, I've spent a good chunk of my study time in previous years learning to read SWC with Cantonese pronunciation. Spoken Cantonese and SWC do not match, particularly for common words phrases and grammar, but the two will often use the same words for less common or technical words. For example, something like "Why did you leave today?" would be COMPLETELY different between the two, but "The hospital has a cancer ward." would be much closer, at least for the key nouns. What this means is that early on, it feels like there is little correlation to the subtitles as half of any particular sentence is structured differently and is using different words. But now that I 'know' the common stuff, almost all the unknowns for me are the same words in both the audio and SWC text as they are the less common stuff that matches up.

Early on I would short loop the same same phrase for minutes on end while trying to puzzle out each word. I would put guesses of the phonetic jyutping that I thought I was hearing into my online dictionary and hope I'd get a hit. Or I'd try looking up an English word that I thought might be the meaning and hope that one of the entries would be the word I was hearing. If I thought the word I was trying to hear was in the SWC subs, I would try writing it by hand into my phone to see if that word matched the sound. I could spend an hour trying to decode a 2 minute news clip. It was painful.

As both my SWC reading and ear for Cantonese improved things got a lot easier. I could hear whole phrases and match them up with appropriate (but often very different) SWC subs. I developed the ability to guess what some unknown Chinese character in the subs might sound like so that when I heard it in the audio, I had a pretty good shot at finding that word with a jyutping lookup in my dictionary.

For the details of exactly what I do when listening, as I outlined in the linked post, I basically just listen while reading the SWC subs, when I hit something I don't understand or is too fast, I pause, re-read the subs and look up anything I don't know. Sometimes, but honestly not often, I'll skip back a couple of seconds and listen to the same phrase again. In the past I've had to pause at pretty much every non-trivial phrase. Now, depending on the content and my desire to understand it all, I can often go several sentences before pausing and often I now pause more due to fast slurred speech more than unknowns (depending on the content). To be truthful, some of the improvement is also due to reducing my tendency to pause at every little doubt that came to mind. I used to pause obsessively at the slightest provocation. I'd look up words "just to be sure I was right", etc.

In summary, for input, I'm a big believer in the comprehensible input theory and it is clear to me that the hard part (in some languages like Cantonese) is finding large volumes of input and making it comprehensible... but once you do, it is simply a matter of time on task. However, as I've said elsewhere, output is another kettle of fish.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”