The iguana's tale- Portuguese, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Ladino

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: The iguana's tale- Portuguese, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Ladino

Postby tarvos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Está muy bien verte de nuevo, Iguanamon(o)!!!! La iguana mona!
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Looks as if you're going to get another round of bad weather. Once again, good luck.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Just to let everyone know. I left home on Saturday and am now in Portugal. My house is safe- all concrete including the roof. So it probably won't be destroyed while I'm gone. 200 feet above sea level, so no flooding to worry about. If this hurricane reaches Category 4, then it could be really bad. I don't know what kind of shape the island will be in when I get home in a little over two weeks. The infrastructure on the island took a big hit with Hurricane Irma even though it spared us the devastating destruction it delivered to our sister islands. The infrastructure is precarious more so than ever now.

The island is being used as a base for relief operations for St Thomas and St John. When I arrived at the airport, there were a bunch of US Air Force cargo relief planes and military personnel in tents at the airport. They'll have to leave before the storm hits. On the way to San Juan, I overflew St Thomas and St John. St Croix was green. STJ and STT were brown from the air- heartbreaking. The latest track has the eye passing very close to St Croix. I hope and pray that it misses us and St Thomas and St John, it's the last thing we or they need right now.

In the meantime, life goes on. I will enjoy my stay here with low humidity, great weather and ambiance and working infrastructure. What happens, happens. The only good thing about hurricanes is that you can see them coming and prepare. The Yellowstone super volcano could blow tomorrow and it would be a complete surprise. The San Andreas fault could decide to move any day now. An earthquake wiped out the city I am in now, Lisbon, three centuries ago. Everything is ok... until... it isn't.
17 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)

Postby iguanamon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:13 pm

The worst happened to my beloved island of St Croix as it was hit by Category 5 Hurricane Maria. It's still early there but I have already received reports from friends that my home was undamaged, as I expected, but with some rainwater inside. Many people lost their roofs. Of course, power will be out for a very long time. When I return home in a couple of weeks, it may be to just get some things and leave for quite a while. It may take months to get power back and at least a couple of years to recover completely. Of course, in the meantime, another monster storm can hit. It's still early, but it appears all my friends are safe. It also appears that now, I am an official refugee. Some people refuse to believe in climate change, but two Category 5 storms in two weeks... hmmm...
14 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:48 pm

iguanamon wrote:The worst happened to my beloved island of St Croix as it was hit by Category 5 Hurricane Maria. It's still early there but I have already received reports from friends that my home was undamaged, as I expected, but with some rainwater inside. Many people lost their roofs. Of course, power will be out for a very long time. When I return home in a couple of weeks, it may be to just get some things and leave for quite a while. It may take months to get power back and at least a couple of years to recover completely. Of course, in the meantime, another monster storm can hit. It's still early, but it appears all my friends are safe. It also appears that now, I am an official refugee. Some people refuse to believe in climate change, but two Category 5 storms in two weeks... hmmm...

I hope things return to normal back home faster than you anticipate iguanamon, for your sake and for the rest on your island and for those affected elsewhere.

I also hope you're having a nice break in Portugal.

As for climate change... there's natural climate change, there's the damage done to the Earth by living disconnected to nature, and then you have those who wish to further increase their power and control by collecting taxes based an an invisible gas. Food for thought:

http://www.weathermodification.com

https://www.google.fr/amp/s/www.globalresearch.ca/haarp-secret-weapon-used-for-weather-modification-electromagnetic-warfare/20407/amp

If you think there's no global conspiracy, no deliberate weather modification (or at least not of any sinister kind) ocurring, I suggest you dig far and wide, not for the truth, but to understand and disprove such things, you might be surprised by what you find.

Finally, I don't mean to hijack your thread and promote my idealology, nor do I wish to cause any disrespect. However, in this world of "problem/reaction/solution", it's worth considering why we (conveniently) jump to certain conclusions.

Fox Mulder
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:02 am

PM, you are entitled to have your conspiracy theories, but I'm not here to debate or explore them.
10 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:30 pm

I'm so sorry, Iguanamon, but I'm glad you are OK, and it sounds like your friends are too. Do you have a place lined up to go and stay?
2 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:13 pm

I hate to see an unfounded conspiracy theory left unchallenged, so let me just leave this here. I won't comment on the subject any further to avoid any further derailing.

"Stanford University professor Umran Inan told Popular Science that weather-control conspiracy theories were "completely uninformed," explaining that "there's absolutely nothing we can do to disturb the Earth's [weather] systems. Even though the power HAARP radiates is very large, it's minuscule compared with the power of a lightning flash—and there are 50 to 100 lightning flashes every second. HAARP's intensity is very small."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Frequency_Active_Auroral_Research_Program
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby iguanamon » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:09 pm

At a time when I am far away from my recently devastated home and worried about my friends, some of whom I still can't reach, I'd appreciate it if folks would refrain from discussing conspiracy theories in my log. It's a bit insensitive. Thanks. PM, I appreciate your kind thoughts, just not so much the conspiracy theories.

Brun Ugle wrote:I'm so sorry, Iguanamon, but I'm glad you are OK, and it sounds like your friends are too. Do you have a place lined up to go and stay?

Thank you, Brun Ugle, for your sympathy. I really appreciate it. All I know is that my actual condominium and car are ok. The problem is infrastructure. The lack of electricity and internet will be awful, in itself but I can't work without it. I have enough dried food and water stored for three weeks, but after that... I guess it will have to be mre's. The last time the island was devastated was 1989 and it took 6 months to a year to get electricity back and about two years to recover. The island never really quite recovered from the storm. It lost maybe 10% of the population and tourism was never quite the same afterwards. Now the whole territory is affected at a time when we were already on the verge of bankruptcy.

My plans are to play it by ear. First is to get home in a couple weeks time, spend a couple of days and get some things and come back to Miami (assuming Miami has recovered by then) or somewhere else up in the States. I wouldn't and couldn't ask someone else to put up with living under such hardship over an indeterminate amount of time. Second is, while I'm there, I'll need to figure out if there's anyway I can stay and earn a living. There's no place nearby to stay in the Caribbean that isn't in the same condition, unfortunately. Everything is up in the air, literally.

All I can do now is enjoy my vacation and worry about the alternatives later. I have some options to explore, but they will take time. I'll also have to change my attitude towards living up there again, or, at least learn to tolerate it. If I have to, I will.
15 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Dear iguanamon,

I just wanted to let you know that I'm very sorry that you were hit by the recent storm, but I'm glad you're okay. I hope you can nevertheless enjoy your vacation a little bit and deal with the events when you return. My thoughts are with you and I hope you'll find a way to answer the open questions of how and where to live in the future soon. Take care!
1 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Return to “Language logs”