The iguana's tale- Portuguese, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Ladino

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The iguana's tale- Portuguese, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Ladino

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:36 pm

iguanamon wrote:My post will be for them... or, if you think it's a waste, I'll just give it a miss.

Oh no! After your explanation it seems like a worthwhile effort. :)

Just as an aside have you heard of PDFTK (short for PDF toolkit)? It lets you do things like "burst" a pdf into single pages, or remove pages, or swap them around, or merge two pdfs, etc. It is a commandline tool (at least the free version) but it is very useful. Recently I downloaded Basic Fantasy in both French and English then using pdftk I recombined them, so I got pg 1 EN on left, pg 1 FR on right, etc, etc. so that I have a complete parallel text booklet with all the rules. This is probably way harder than most non-IT people could manage, but it does show the power of using PDF's. But the command is fairly easy.

Code: Select all

pdftk A=Basic-Fantasy-RPG-Rules-r107.pdf B=Basic-Fantasy-RPG-Rules-r107-fra78.pdf  shuffle A B output parallel_text_Basic_Fantasy.pdf

pdftk A=English.pdf B=Target.pdf shuffle A B output parallel_text_combined.pdf

Took literally seconds to make an entire PDF book in parallel. I also did it for Italian. So if you can find two documents in two languages it is easy to combine.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:29 am

rdearman wrote:
iguanamon wrote:My post will be for them... or, if you think it's a waste, I'll just give it a miss.

Oh no! After your explanation it seems like a worthwhile effort. :)

Just as an aside have you heard of PDFTK (short for PDF toolkit)? It lets you do things like "burst" a pdf into single pages, or remove pages, or swap them around, or merge two pdfs, etc. It is a commandline tool (at least the free version) but it is very useful. Recently I downloaded Basic Fantasy in both French and English then using pdftk I recombined them, so I got pg 1 EN on left, pg 1 FR on right, etc, etc. so that I have a complete parallel text booklet with all the rules. This is probably way harder than most non-IT people could manage, but it does show the power of using PDF's. But the command is fairly easy.

pdftk A=Basic-Fantasy-RPG-Rules-r107.pdf B=Basic-Fantasy-RPG-Rules-r107-fra78.pdf  shuffle A B output parallel_text_Basic_Fantasy.pdf

Took literally seconds to make an entire PDF book in parallel. I also did it for Italian. So if you can find two documents in two languages it is easy to combine.

@Iguanamon: Your project idea is definitely not a waste, and I would encourage you to carry on, realizing however that it will take a considerable amount of your time. I've got an unused Android lying around that I would like to put to good use.

@rdearman: A screenprint of the result of the PDF Toolkit smash-up of English and French and English and Italian would help me visualize the alignment. Also, showing how this is done would be a good topic for your Youtube channel, provided you have the interest and the time.
5 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:09 am

Raconteur wrote:In addition to Internet/electricity limitations, this type of a setup could be of great use to people who prefer to use a digital tool (for PDFs, dictionary, etc.) but find themselves easily distracted by a fully functional (and connected) computer or smartphone. Shame on me, but I belong to this camp. In fact, I am now thinking of printing out some materials I have on PDF, and migrating audio to an old iPod, just because my computer is diverting my attention elsewhere. I feel the pull of work on deadline, new messages, open tabs, etc.

Absolutely true. I know how to move everything over to a tablet were I to buy a cheap one (right now I've just got a Kindle Fire, which isn't great with PDFs in my opinion), but I get so distracted. In fact, it go so bad once I built an app to search the dictionary for me from my desktop so I could install a browser extension to block everything on FireFox! Thankfully, I've gotten better and have since repurposed that app into a Discord/Telegram bot, but still. It's an issue even for people who know enough IT stuff to be dangerous.
1 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:37 am

rdearman wrote:Just as an aside have you heard of PDFTK (short for PDF toolkit)? It lets you do things like "burst" a pdf into single pages, or remove pages, or swap them around, or merge two pdfs, etc. It is a commandline tool (at least the free version) but it is very useful. Recently I downloaded Basic Fantasy in both French and English then using pdftk I recombined them, so I got pg 1 EN on left, pg 1 FR on right, etc, etc. so that I have a complete parallel text booklet with all the rules. This is probably way harder than most non-IT people could manage, but it does show the power of using PDF's. But the command is fairly easy.

I love PDFTK and have used it for years. It has saved myself and my company a countable, but overwhelming number of work hours. On Windows, it is counterintuitive but the free version is what you want to download and install (a few clicks and done) PDFTK - free. All my parallel text reading for the last eight+ months has been done with help from the free tool YouAlign. The shuffle idea with PDFTK is cool. What you can get with it visually, for example, is a parallel text result with pages that alternate between L1 and L2 (or L2 and L1 depending). When done, set your favorite PDF reader to show double-sided and you are ready to read in mere seconds. For the right use-case, that sounds hard to beat.

I work directly and indirectly with many automation tools and as a result am very sensitive to the needs of different users with different tolerance levels for technology. For what it is worth, I find providing tiers of solutions to be a good compromise that everyone can get something out of. Having a few tiers offered for each 'problem type' handles the case of user frustration levels. Unfortunately, most solutions tend to break down when confronted with a broken display module. Those small suspiciously knuckle-shaped indentations get in the way of reading...a way even good glasses can't fix (it is suggested to bring listening skills up to par before taking this step!). That said, having something like an easy/medium/hard, with collapsed levels of detail can be very appealing. Screenshots are pretty much mandatory. Even though I might see clear as day a solution in my mind, each picture is worth far more (said as I write this post on a text message forum, without myself providing any illustrations).

A final note is that I often find it near-mandatory to take 'simple' tasks like these in small bite-sized chunks, very much analogous to developing mini-habits. What you are faced with most of the time is a steep but short learning curve. They are nasty buggers, but come up everywhere in life. While it may only take ten minutes to install/configure something, each minute could be like torture for some people, and for those, it may be best to split the task into sections and only do a little at a time. A bit of progress every day can lead to an installed and usable tool in a week or so. It can also lead to failure, but the efforts of trying are cumulative and comparable to language learning when seen over a longer horizon. The key thing to remember is you normally only have to set it up once, but will benefit from it for months or years to come. That mindset may help and encourage some people to try things that they have been heretofore unwilling or unable to do. Keeping notes on what you do will save you headache if ever a similar effort is required later. The skill of configuring or trying new tools itself becomes a reusable habit just as does building a toolset, which ultimately covers your personal needs, language learning needs in this case. A good clue to tell how far you need to go is to find what you spend too much wrangling time on and choose options that smooth your learning process (some tech tools, some process improvement etc).
3 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Raconteur wrote:
iguanamon wrote:A few weeks ago, a member talked in their log about how they were unable to study because of a power outage and wished to be less reliant on technology as a result. I survived over two months without electricity and six months without wired internet and still got language activity done, using my tablets and phone- mostly offline. Technology can still be used to make our leaves easier and, once set up, can indeed be used for very long periods of time while offline.
In addition to Internet/electricity limitations, this type of a setup could be of great use to people who prefer to use a digital tool (for PDFs, dictionary, etc.) but find themselves easily distracted by a fully functional (and connected) computer or smartphone. Shame on me, but I belong to this camp. In fact, I am now thinking of printing out some materials I have on PDF, and migrating audio to an old iPod, just because my computer is diverting my attention elsewhere. I feel the pull of work on deadline, new messages, open tabs, etc.
This is me me me me me! I have my brother's old iPad Pro which I love, but in all honesty, it combines the distraction potential of my Mac AND my iPhone. A low-cost option that I could set up then use entirely offline would be great.
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:41 pm

Apology for cluttering your log. :o

I will do a tutorial on PDFTK on YT for people.

MorkTheFiddle wrote:@rdearman: A screenprint of the result of the PDF Toolkit smash-up of English and French and English and Italian would help me visualize the alignment. Also, showing how this is done would be a good topic for your Youtube channel, provided you have the interest and the time.

As you can see the Page 1 in English is on the left side of the open book and French on the other. This has made me realiase I should have shuffled them from B to A in order to get French on the left, but it is a trivial change to the command.

resized_facing_pages.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:22 pm

rdearman wrote:Apology for cluttering your log. :o

I will do a tutorial on PDFTK on YT for people.

MorkTheFiddle wrote:@rdearman: A screenprint of the result of the PDF Toolkit smash-up of English and French and English and Italian would help me visualize the alignment. Also, showing how this is done would be a good topic for your Youtube channel, provided you have the interest and the time.

As you can see the Page 1 in English is on the left side of the open book and French on the other. This has made me realiase I should have shuffled them from B to A in order to get French on the left, but it is a trivial change to the command.

resized_facing_pages.png
Thanks for the screenprint. The look of the output is very good and looks like just what the doctor ordered. I look forward to the YT tutorial.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:10 pm

The following post is a re-post and an update of a post I made on slowmoon's log on August 12, 2020. This post is not intended for those of us here who have IT/Programming skills. It's intended for those of us who, like me have computer skills ranging from "I can turn it on and click" to "I can do quite a bit but I can't program" and those who fall somewhere in between. Programmers, please start your own thread(s) outside of this log to to discuss what a programmer can do to customize their learning. The advantages of the "pdf toolkit" program have been explained and there's a lot that can be done with this. I have the official Adobe pdf software and can efficiently manipulate pdf's in this way.

Using Tecnology Without Programming Skills + Learning While Offline
slowmoon wrote:...This lost week has made me realize that I'm living in a relationship to my surroundings that is extremely infantile. I rely heavily on access to a tool that I can't build, maintain, repair, or control. I simply hope that someone out there will keep it functioning and give me access, like an infant blindly searching for a breast. A bit disturbing to think about. But we're not here to talk about that. ...

I live in the Caribbean. When Hurricane Maria struck, I was without electricity for almost three months... and I am a language-learner. How did I manage?

One of the good things about being alive in the 21st Century is all the amazing web based tools we have available with which we can learn languages. Online dictionaries are a great convenience. Learning apps sure make things easier. Yet one can still learn without them and still use electronics even when there is no web access.
DaveAgain wrote:I used to live on a farm; power and telephone/internet outages were a common thing. We used to have back ups to cope with that: candles, a clockwork radio, and internet access via a USB dongle that connected to a mobile phone network.

DaveAgain is describing my life here after Hurricane Maria. When I got electricity back around Thanksgiving 2017, my wired internet took another four months to return. Without electricity, I still had to work and my cell phone was my lifeline. I had upgraded to unlimited data and I tethered my phone to my laptop for internet. Bandwidth was limited so no streaming video, but it was enough to do my job.

Living in a condominium, we are not allowed to have generators no matter how "super quiet" they may be. So, I had two car batteries and an inverter plus a solar panel to charge the batteries and rotate them out. This allowed me to work, charge my tablet, and charge my phone. I even downloaded my daily language listening podcasts, though much more slowly, with my phone's data connection.

rdearman wrote:Seriously, how hard is it? Take the SD card out, put in PC, dump the PDF's on it, put it back in the tablet, read. (Or is this simple because I'm an IT guy?)

To a large extent, rdearman is right. Where people fall down is in how they use the resources they have; their expectations; and their preconceptions.

Over the years here on the forum, I have seen all kinds of objections to using the advantages of some of the technology we have- people printing pdf's because they don't want to sit in front of a screen- I assume they are talking about a laptop or a desktop computer... and I'm sure, including a tablet. Me, I am kicked back on the sofa holding my tablet or kindle. I am not being distracted by email, messaging, social media, web surfing while studying. Eyestrain is reduced by utilizing "night mode" in the Adobe pdf app.

Having a tablet doesn't mean having to buy the latest, most expensive, technology. Using a tablet doesn't mean being constantly tethered to the web. Wifi can be turned off as easily as it's turned on. A tablet can be configured without notifications; without loading email; without a facebook app; without a messenger app.

Some learners have expectations about what they should be able to do with the technology they have. A Kindle e-reader has a built-in dictionary for many languages where a mere finger press on a word will give a pop-up definition. As a non-programmer, I can't do that with my pdf's on my tablets. Still, I manage to look up words, make notes and review them.

How I utilize this strategy in my learning
What helped me more than anything was having content to hand and not depending on online tools. I do most of my learning through a tablet. I prefer an old school pdf, which I can edit and read in "night mode" on my tablet, to app based learning and even to hard copy learning. "Night mode" reading in pdf means reducing eyestrain. The background goes black. The text and images go white, and white scale for the images. Night mode takes away one of the issues people have with reading on screens.

If I am reading, I have several pdf dictionaries in all my languages which are searchable. Even if they are not searchable, provided they are around 300 pages, I can scroll through them quickly and save time over using the search feature. I can copy and paste a definition if I am feeling lazy. Then I can insert the definition into my highlighted text and it reduces to a little clickable balloon with the word highlighted. I almost always physically enter the definition as I find the act of doing so helps to reinforce it in my mind. After I've done my reading, say 10 pages or so, I can check out my "comments list" and see all my notes. I can touch them and it will take me right back to the word or phrase in context to reinforce my learning.

My Kindle has a pop-up dictionary for some of my languages. I can use the device on a full charge for several days. Kindle also has notation features. The e-ink feature makes for no eyestrain. I can read outdoors in bright sunlight. This is a huge advantage here in the tropics as we spend a lot of time outdoors.

A long time ago, I learned that while a Kindle e-reader can process pdf's, the screen's small size limits their usefulness and I can't take advantage of the features that I like to use within pdf reader software- available for free.

Before electronics, people used paper dictionaries in a device called "books". They took notes on paper too in something called a "notebook". This can still be done today. So, where there is a will, there's a way. App based and online based learning is a godsend until it goes away. Don't let that stop you. If I lose it all again... it is Hurricane season again and the National Hurricane Center is calling for a record season this year, I can still make it happen. My tablet will charge in a couple of hours. On it I have books in various formats; pdf dictionaries; grammar resources; parallel texts; courses; audio; even video. In fact, I only sparingly use wifi with my tablet.

It is amazing what can be done with pdf- how texts can be annotated and made to be more useful. With full pdf writer software, I have many more options to customize my texts on my laptop and transfer the files to my tablets. Reading a parallel text on a tablet is so much better than in a physical book or, two books, or two side by side windows on a computer screen. I can open up the text and expand L2 to take up the whole screen. I can then scroll over, if I need to or want to, to check the original or the translation. You can make your own parallel texts easily. Yeah, there's a little work involved.

These days, a cheap 10" android tablet can be had for under a hundred dollars US. I have a 10" one and a 7" one. My 10 inch android tablet, I bought two years ago, new on ebay for $95 US. The 7" tablet I bought used off of ebay for $25 US. It came with a scratched and pitted screen. I used automobile headlight restorer polisher on the glass and it's fine now. I learned this trick from having scratched up a tablet myself before.

I hardly ever connect to the internet with the 7 inch tablet. It is solely dedicated to Catalan learning. I can do my course in pdf and listen to the dialog at the same time by opening VLC player in the background. This is not a problem. I can repeat the dialog as many times as I want. If the internet goes down, the electricity goes off (frequently happens here) this is not a problem. As long as I can charge the little tablet, I am ok. I've got all I need to study.

Of course, I can't do everything with a tablet that I'd like to do in an ideal situation. The situation of doing my learning on this old 7 inch android tablet is acceptable to me. If I need to look up a word in a bilingual dictionary, I can go back to the "recent documents/home" section in the pdf reader app and open up my dictionary. I can then quickly scroll to find the word. Read the definition. Go back to the "recent documents/home" section. Click on the course or book. Highlight the word and add the note. It sounds like a lot, but it is simple to do. It's the electronic equivalent of writing in a book without the mess. The notes can be moved around anywhere on the page to avoid obscuring words. I can review the words by clicking "comment list". Sometimes I find just the act of writing the word and its definition is sufficient to make it sticky in my mind. That, and, I'm likely to see the word again while I am still in the learning phase.

I also have a kindle dedicated e-reader with e-ink*. To myself, I call them my 'language-learning machines". What I describe here does mean having multiple devices around the house, however; they take up little space. Buying used, as long as the android operating system is not too out of date, means that cost is not prohibitive. My Kindle 4th generation still works. I bought it for $25 US used on ebay. These devices are critical to my learning and with them I can be independent of the web to a large extent. You can too, you just have to break yourself from the app/web based mindset. Apps are easier and more convenient, yes, but they also mean a reliance and dependence on the web. Being connected to the internet while studying- emails, youtube, web surfing, social media, all of these can distract from the task at hand, but connecting is not necessary to study. Yeah, there's some work involved in going this route, again, but the payoff is worth it even if you don't lose electricity and the internet for months. What I have described, I do everyday. It's worked pretty well for me over the years.

Edit: Typos and see below

*E-ink is almost like reading paper and ink. You can read outside in bright sun. Eyestrain is not an issue. If you don't want to buy a kindle because you think it will tie you to Amazon, that's not true. You can use the free Calibre software to convert e-books to Kindle mobi format and easily load them onto your Kindle- which is what I do. You can copy and paste web text in your computer or print a selection to pdf and convert it to mobi (without images) and load it to your Kindle (using all the advantages of the pop-up dictionary). You can convert epubs (you can even remove drm) to Kindle format with Calibre and load them easily onto your Kindle.

You can download Moon Reader to read epubs and Kindle format books. Moon Reader is an e-reading app that can be used offline on a tablet. It also has a night reading mode to reduce eyestrain and many other features within the program for dictionaries, highlighting and note taking.

Caveats:
None of what I describe here will help you if you want to export to Anki. This goes back to "expectations". I don't use Anki srs, never have. Not using srs doesn't seem to have hurt me in my learning. You have to accept some limitations to utilize my method.

On pdf's that are not single page format, these are more difficult to read efficiently on a tablet. Pdf's that are not ocr'ed (optical character recognition- meaning the computer can recognize the writing as copy-able and manipulable text instead of just as an image) you cannot highlight words and attach notes to them. You can still make a note that will pop-up with a definition you create and enter. I do this with my texts in Ladino in Rashi text.
Last edited by iguanamon on Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
9 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:12 pm

Catalan
I'm up to lesson 77 of "Le Catalan sans peine" 1st wave and lesson 27 2nd wave. Normally, at this stage, I would probably just stop the course and move on, but I want to give Assimil a fair chance. I'll probably write my thoughts about the course after finishing it. Like all courses, it is not perfect. It has its good points and not so good points.

"Collita roja/Red Harvest" by Dashiell Hammet is 3/4 through now. It is much easier to read at this point. The body count keeps going up and I am sure there are more twists and turns to go before I finish the book.
Dashiell Hammet- Collita roja wrote:Catalan
Temps enrera havia preparat una o dues morts,
quan eren necessàries. Però aquesta és la primera
vegada que m'hi trobo entrampat. És aquesta
maleïda ciutat. Aquí, és que no pots anar de dret.
Al començament ja em vaig veure embolicat.
Quan el vell Elihu recorregué a mi no podia fer
altra cosa que enfrontar els malfactors l'un contra
l'altre. Vaig haver d'orientar el treball de la millor
manera que vaig saber. Què podia fer-hi si de la
millor manera volia dir arribar a una matança?
Altrament sense el suport d'Elihu la feina no podia
fer-se.
—Si no podies fer-hi res, per què carat et
lamentes, ara? Tu beu, i prou.
Em vaig beure la meitat del got i vaig sentir la
necessitat de continuar parlant
"I've arranged a killing or two in my time, when
they were necessary. But this is the first time I've
ever got the fever. It's this damned burg. You can't
go straight here. I got myself tangled at the
beginning. When old Elihu ran out on me there
was nothing I could do but try to set the boys
against each other. I had to swing the job the best
way I could. How could I help it if the best way
was bound to lead to a lot of killing? The job
couldn't be handled any other way without Elihu's
backing."
"Well, if you couldn't help it, what's the use of
making a lot of fuss over it? Drink your drink."
I drank half of it and felt the urge to talk some
more.

I've had a long text conversation in Catalan and I did fairly well. It was satisfying to be able to use the language with a native-speaker.

I've gotten up to episode 51 of "Plats Bruts", the Catalan comedy series from 20 years ago. I almost don't want to finish. There are only 72 lessons, so I've got 21 more to go. I'm sure I'll re-watch the series and get more out of it than I do now as I learn more of the language. Plus, I have the book with 13 episodes of the first season's scripts that I plan to use as I hone my listening skills.

I am only up to unit 11 of "Digui, Digui". It's hard to find the time for the course, now. I'll get back to it in a few weeks. It is such a good resource, as is TY Catalan.

Spanish
This article on pijamasurf El fascinante caso del "último ermitaño" grabbed my interest in a similar to how the story of Chris McCandless in "Into the Wild" claimed my attention. So I am now halfway through the book. Reading in Spanish because... I can. I've also been watching baseball in Spanish.
pijamasurf.com wrote:Christopher Knight vivió solo durante veintisiete años en los bosques de Maine. Su caso se convirtió en un mito. Muchos dudaban de su existencia. Sin embargo, los pobladores locales compartían historias. Encuentros indirectos. Objetos que se perdían. En ocasiones Knight entraba a sus casas y robaba comida, cervezas, libros, etc. Robaba lo mínimo para no llamar demasiado la atención. Finalmente, la policía lo detuvo en el año 2013. Knight fue sentenciado a siete meses en prisión, luego de que confesara sentirse mal por sus pequeños pero numerosos hurtos.
Todavía eran los años 80 cuando Knight, de 20 años, se internó en el bosque cerca de Rome, Maine. Sus padres jamás reportaron su ausencia. Según diría más tarde, su relación con ellos era buena, pero no empalagosa. Solamente en una ocasión, en los 90, se encontró con otro hombre en una vereda en el bosque e intercambiaron un leve saludo. Esa fue toda su comunicación en veintisiete años.
Knight logró sobrevivir inviernos de -27 grados, aparentemente despertando en la parte más fría de la noche y manteniéndose caliente caminando en torno a su campamento, que calentaba con una estufa de propano. En los inviernos más difíciles, cuando sentía que podía morir de frío y hambre optó por meditar. Nunca encendió una fogata, para no llamar la atención. Se rasuraba y mantenía relativamente limpio, presuntamente robando ropa, para así no generar sospechas si se encontraba con alguien. Era como si quisiera que lo dejaran en paz, al tiempo que escapaba de este mundo.

Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol
Over halfway finished with "La ija de la lavandera" in Rashi.
This cool "hip hop" version of "La vida do por el raki" (I give my life for raki) came my way via twitter. Those who speak Spanish should understand it. Filmed in Seattle, Washington.
Last edited by iguanamon on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Just a quick comment on tablets. I find that I read a lot in English on a 5-6 year old tablet. Because I read in bed, it is useful to turn off the auto rotate feature and then lay on your side with the tablet propped up on a pillow beside you. So you can lay down and read, something difficult to do with an actual printed 300 page PDF! :)
8 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”