The iguana's tale- Portuguese, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Ladino

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: The iguana's tale- Portuguese, Spanish, Haitian Creole and Ladino

Postby iguanamon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:02 pm

Thanks everyone for thinking of me. Here on the island of St Croix, we missed Irma's eye as it went just north of St Thomas. It pretty much wiped out St Thomas, St John, Tortola and Virgin Gorda. We received relatively minor damage here but I have been without electricity for seven days now, in the tropical heat.

While I am grateful that we escaped Irma's destruction, it saddens me greatly to see the loss of life and suffering that people just 40 miles away from me are enduring. I am still unable to reach friends on St Thomas and St John. It will take a long time for them to recover from this devastation. It took St Croix at least two years to get back from the destruction of Hurricane Hugo. That was 28 years ago and the island never really came back to what it was before.

Everyone here is connected to the other islands in the Caribbean. The devastation on St.Martin/Sint Maarten, Barbuda and St Barts was unprecedented. With 185 mph (300 km/hr) winds, not much is left standing.

I've had plenty of time to read in all my languages. I still hope to leave here via Miami on Friday the 15th... we'll see. I will be less active for a while here, but I am fine. I have a home intact, family and good friends. That's what matters most. Count your blessings my friends... in life, everything is ok until it isn't. Kiss and hug your families and friends. Tell them you love them.
26 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:00 pm

Good to hear from you. My friend's family is in St. Martin and they survived but have nothing left. I'm glad that you are okay (and that you gt to get some reading done).
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm so glad to hear you're OK. I've been thinking of you the whole time and hoping you would be alright. After hearing about Barbuda and some of the other islands, I was a bit worried you might get hit just as hard.
2 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:05 pm

You have been on my mind. Glad you are ok and agree with you concerning the destruction and loss. Stay safe.
2 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:42 pm

It's good to hear you are okay and that St Croix was spared the worst. I am so sorry for your friends, and yours, too. Elenia.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:58 am

Good to hear you're well iguanamon. 40 miles is nothing, it could have been a lot worse. Seeing the devastation on St Martin/Sint Maarten and St Barthélémy was pretty insane- I was hoping you didn't get hit as hard or much at all. Unfortunately though, as you expressed, there are those who have been hit hard and that's their nasty reality. I hope they get through it ok.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:58 pm

Just a quick update. I have most of my electricity back... except to the kitchen. This has happened to my neighbors as well. I know. It doesn't make any sense. To complain about this seems petty in the face of the dire situations on our sister islands. So, I won't.
4 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Glad to hear to that you're back.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:31 am

What a relief that you are ok. When I heard about irma I thought about you because I know that you live in the US Virgin islands. Good luck and strength with evertyhing.
2 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:04 pm

A quick confession...

I just remembered where you live this morning at about 3am.
I was so relieved when I read your log.

:D
2 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Return to “Language logs”