Zelda's French Log (+ Modern Greek)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Zelda's French Log

Postby reineke » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:58 am

You could also get it in English...

A quality audiobook is an experience. With Librivox you often get what you pay for. Litterature audio is better if you are looking for free audiobooks. Audible lets you listen to free samples. Anything written after 1700 should be ok.
0 x

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Auughhh.

I need to refresh my routine. I took a two-day break from French over the weekend, which is the longest break I've taken since March. I bought a small computer game on Saturday so that I could keep my mind off French, which worked really well. For the first time in forever, I had a real weekend.

This morning I jumped back into my studies, and... I hated it. I got halfway through chorusing an old Assimil lesson and I just couldn't do it anymore. And I already caught up to all of the InnerFrench podcast episodes. My routine is boring now. I've been doing Assimil every day for 3 months, which was fun while it lasted, but now I want to move on. Now, reading Harry Potter, that's fun. In fact, I continued reading Harry Potter over the weekend because I couldn't bear the thought of not partaking in that joyful experience. I'm just not sure how much I'm actually learning from reading it, especially since I'm reading extensively, so I want to supplement it with something meatier.

I think I need to find a good balance between extensive and intensive activities, because my grammar still needs reinforcement, but I'm not certain what to use as an intensive resource at this point. I can always go back to working through Assimil, but I really want to try something else.

I'm simultaneously excited and daunted by the prospect of making a change.
4 x

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:43 pm

My new French routine includes:

• Podcast (Balades or InnerFrench, whatever I feel like that day)
  • Harry Potter
  • Tex's French Grammar (until I can get Grammaire Progressive du Français Intermédiaire)
  • Daily watching Axolot or other French YouTube videos
I also got Les Trois Mousquetaires in French, English and French audio. I think I've bitten off more than I can chew, but that's how I felt about Harry Potter when I started it. A few days of working through this should give me a better idea of my abilities.

I'm considering buying a subscription to the French slow journalism magazine XXI, which prints four magazines per year. In order to ask about the mailing cost to the United States, I drafted my first real email in French (i.e. I had to use French, and I wasn't emailing a language partner). I'm really proud of myself. :D

I'm still thinking about learning a second language, but this time I'm eyeing German. Having lots of resources available in a TL is wonderful.
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi Zelda,

It is wonderful to be able to follow your log; thank you.

Could you please explain something to me that totally baffles me; it is that everyone seems to love the CLE books.

The Grammaire Progressive Du Francais - Nouvelle Edition: Livre Intermediaire 3e is I am sure a wonderful book, however, I don't understand how it is that people expect to understand the grammar in French when they don't know French that well. It is as if everyone in the room knows something that I definitely do not.

Thank you and good luck.
3 x

Skynet
Green Belt
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Postby Skynet » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 am

Carmody wrote:Could you please explain something to me that totally baffles me; it is that everyone seems to love the CLE books.
The Grammaire Progressive Du Francais - Nouvelle Edition: Livre Intermediaire 3e is I am sure a wonderful book, however, I don't understand how it is that people expect to understand the grammar in French when they don't know French that well. It is as if everyone in the room knows something that I definitely do not.

I apologise in advance for hijacking this log!

Carmody, I used to ask the same questions about French-native course books by CLE, Didier and Hatchette. Yes, it is very difficult to understand those instructions if you have no French knowledge, but after going through a bilingual course (Assimil/Linguaphone/Living Language Ultimate) you will have acquired sufficient knowledge of the French language to benefit tremendously from the native courses. I am just over 60% through both NFEW and FWOT (having completed Linguaphone 1950 & 1971, LL Ultimate Beginner- Int. & a trillion others) and am able to understand every single instruction in the Hatchette (G. Mauger's Cours de Langue et de Civilisation Francaises) and CLE grammar and vocab books that I am going through.

zjones wrote:I'm still thinking about learning a second language, but this time I'm eyeing German. Having lots of resources available in a TL is wonderful.

Please don't resist the urge to learn German! I am following the same language path as you: French (to B2) then start with German.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Carmody wrote:The Grammaire Progressive Du Francais - Nouvelle Edition: Livre Intermediaire 3e is I am sure a wonderful book, however, I don't understand how it is that people expect to understand the grammar in French when they don't know French that well. It is as if everyone in the room knows something that I definitely do not.

1.The débutant book is usually not being recommended to the people who are really starting right now and on their own. Usually, they have at least Duolingo or something like that behind them, or they had suffered through the school classes some time ago. That makes using this book much easier.
2.Or they use it together with a bilingual source, for example Assimil or Teach Yourself or anything else you can imagine. That makes a good combination
3.There is no problem for an intermediate learner to switch to a monolingual source and occassionally use a dictionary or google.

4.The books are very clearly written, with focus on lots of practical examples, and the vocabulary both in the examples and explanations is adapted to the expected level of the user. The fact there is only the French terminology is actually helpful, I have always found the Czech and English terminology of the French grammar confusing in one way or another.

5.When it comes to French, I've always found it not that complicated after the real beginnings. By the time you get to the Intermédiaire book, you are mostly reusing the building blocks in new ways, adding just some new verb endings, and finding new uses for the old stuff. Anyone on the expected entry level for the book should be ready for that.

zjones wrote:I also got Les Trois Mousquetaires in French, English and French audio. I think I've bitten off more than I can chew, but that's how I felt about Harry Potter when I started it. A few days of working through this should give me a better idea of my abilities.

I'm considering buying a subscription to the French slow journalism magazine XXI, which prints four magazines per year. In order to ask about the mailing cost to the United States, I drafted my first real email in French (i.e. I had to use French, and I wasn't emailing a language partner). I'm really proud of myself. :D

I'm still thinking about learning a second language, but this time I'm eyeing German. Having lots of resources available in a TL is wonderful.

Les Trois Mousquetaires was a pleasant read and I was surprised how easy the book felt, compared to some other classics I have read. Except for a few things, like the way people address each other, it felt as if it had been written recently. I'd say it is a very good choice for you. And I loved the book! I am looking forward to reading your opinion :-)

Congratulations to that email. :-)

Yes, those tons of TL resources were one of the main reasons why I started learning German. Too bad I am still horrible at it due to lack of time and laziness, but it is such a joy to find stuff for learners everywhere! You know, the French and Spanish resources in my region and on the internet have caught up, but the difference used to be huge. And the resources tend to be of amazing quality.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:20 pm

Ok, so if I have already been through Assimil NFWE and French in Action and Dialang says I am B1, which CLE book do I buy? Please be specific.

Thank you.

Apologies to Zelda for cluttering up her blog with my questions on a grammar book.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Carmody wrote:Ok, so if I have already been through Assimil NFWE and French in Action and Dialang says I am B1, which CLE book do I buy? Please be specific.

Thank you.

Apologies to Zelda for cluttering up her blog with my questions on a grammar book.

I suggest you started with the level Intermédiaire, it is really rich in information, so you shouldn't feel like just reviewing despite being approximately B1 now. Grammaire Progressive certainly, but I also like the Vocabulaire Progressif (I recommend the same level). The rest is not bad but I think they are much more worth borrowing in a library for example than buying. The two main series are great companions for years to come, both for learning and every time you need to review some points.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Cavesa

Just so that I understand clearly how to proceed, are you saying that I should buy the following two books?

Grammaire Progressive Du Francais - Nouvelle Edition: Livre Intermediaire 3e Edition + Cd-audio (Collec Progress) (French Edition)

Vocabulaire Progressif du Francais - Nouvelle Edition: Livre + Audio CD (Niveau Avance) (French Edition)May 13, 2013
by Claire Miquel Paperback $39.95 $ 39 95 Prime $19.98(17 used & new offers)

or this one....

Vocabulaire Progressive du Francais - Nouvelle Edition: Livre + Audio CD (Niveau Debutant) (French Edition) (Collec Progress)May 13, 2013
by Claire Miquel

Please advise and thanks.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Carmody wrote:Cavesa

Just so that I understand clearly how to proceed, are you saying that I should buy the following two books?

Grammaire Progressive Du Francais - Nouvelle Edition: Livre Intermediaire 3e Edition + Cd-audio (Collec Progress) (French Edition)

Vocabulaire Progressif du Francais - Nouvelle Edition: Livre + Audio CD (Niveau Avance) (French Edition)May 13, 2013
by Claire Miquel Paperback $39.95 $ 39 95 Prime $19.98(17 used & new offers)

or this one....

Vocabulaire Progressive du Francais - Nouvelle Edition: Livre + Audio CD (Niveau Debutant) (French Edition) (Collec Progress)May 13, 2013
by Claire Miquel

Please advise and thanks.

Intermediaire for both. I don't think you would profit much from the débutant book, it has fewer content and overlaps a lot with the intermediaire book, if I remember correctly. I was also using the older editions, except for the Perfectionnement books, without a CD, but I think the audio part could be very useful. I don't think there will be too many differences between the editions other than added colours.

I am so sorry for intruding here so much, Zelda!!!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”