Bunnychu's log (Korean)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AndyMeg
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7431

Re: Bunnychu's log (Korean & French)

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:53 pm

Bunnychu wrote:I'm in a bit of a predicament, the more I study the worse I get. I'm not talking about hitting a plateau but I seem to get blocked way more often when I speak. My reading and grammar comprehension definitely improved, as well as my listening but my speaking skills have gotten worse even though I practice like before with italki lessons and language exchange. I'm not sure if anyone ever experienced this but I really don't know how to proceed going forward :(

Maybe it is because now you are more aware of your own mistakes? The more you study the more you know, but speaking is an active skill that needs more than just the knowledge. Think about it as reading a book about swimming. You may know the right way to swim, but you still haven't adquired the skill to actually swim. You need to get inside the water and practice there to actually be able to swim. But if you overthink about what you read in the book when you are in the water then you may drown. In the water the main priority is survival, it doesn't have to be pretty it just have to be effective. When you go out of the water you can analize your mistakes, practice the right way mentally and then get in the water again and challenge yourself. I think the same happens with learning to speak: you can practice in a controled environment, but when you are in the water (when you are actually speaking to someone) the priority isn't to remember all the knowledge and follow the book, you focus on staying afloat, you focus on effective communication even if it is not pretty or it is full of mistakes, you keep the conversation alive, and that's all that matters. Later you can analize alone or with a tutor or with your conversation partner what were your biggest mistakes and you practice the right way many times and then you go into the water again. (These are just my thoughts on the matter. I think the more we know what should be the right thing, the more scared we get of making mistakes, and so we get huge mental blocks. We just need to let go of any expectation and keep moving. We eventually will make a breakthrough and see the pay-off of all our efforts).

For me a very enjoyable way to practice speaking without the fear of making huge mistakes and getting blocked is by acting k-drama dialogues. It's a lot of fun! ;)
2 x
: 2232 / 18000 korean videos without subs (minutes) :
: 13 / 45 Hanzi/Kanji Radicals (groups of 5 each):
: 61 / 95 Chinese Grammar Wiki - A2 level :

Bunnychu
Yellow Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (advanced), Korean (low-intermediate), French/Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Postby Bunnychu » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:40 am

Maybe it is because now you are more aware of your own mistakes? The more you study the more you know, but speaking is an active skill that needs more than just the knowledge. Think about it as reading a book about swimming. You may know the right way to swim, but you still haven't adquired the skill to actually swim. You need to get inside the water and practice there to actually be able to swim. But if you overthink about what you read in the book when you are in the water then you may drown. In the water the main priority is survival, it doesn't have to be pretty it just have to be effective. When you go out of the water you can analize your mistakes, practice the right way mentally and then get in the water again and challenge yourself. I think the same happens with learning to speak: you can practice in a controled environment, but when you are in the water (when you are actually speaking to someone) the priority isn't to remember all the knowledge and follow the book, you focus on staying afloat, you focus on effective communication even if it is not pretty or it is full of mistakes, you keep the conversation alive, and that's all that matters. Later you can analize alone or with a tutor or with your conversation partner what were your biggest mistakes and you practice the right way many times and then you go into the water again. (These are just my thoughts on the matter. I think the more we know what should be the right thing, the more scared we get of making mistakes, and so we get huge mental blocks. We just need to let go of any expectation and keep moving. We eventually will make a breakthrough and see the pay-off of all our efforts).

For me a very enjoyable way to practice speaking without the fear of making huge mistakes and getting blocked is by acting k-drama dialogues. It's a lot of fun! ;)

I think you are right. I set high expectations for myself and, as you said, I need to let go of them and just enjoy the fact that I'm actually able to communicate. A year ago I wouldn't have seen myself having conversations beyond the point of 'how are you?' and 'what are you doing today?' :lol: . Thank you very much for you message, it was actually eye-opening that I need to go easy on myself and in the end everything will fall into place. I might try drama dialogues in the future, it does sound like a lot of fun. ^_^
1 x
94 KGIU Int: 47 / 94
40 연세 읽기 3: 12 / 30
50 TTMIK News: 10 / 40
40 TTMIK RL Conv Int: 12 / 40
30 Korean Idioms: 4 / 30

Bunnychu
Yellow Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (advanced), Korean (low-intermediate), French/Spanish (beginner)

Postby Bunnychu » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:45 pm

Hello again :mrgreen:
Just a quick update:
  • I've finished Yonsei Korean Reading 2
  • I've participated in italki's October language challenge and I've finally got my 20 hours badge :mrgreen:

Even though I'm not updating my log, I do read logs on this forum and I get inspired by you guys everyday.
2 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (beginner)

Re: Bunnychu's log (Korean)

Postby Christi » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:46 am

That reminds me, I still haven't finished Yonsei Reading 2, oops :lol:
Really should get to it. Have you learned a lot from it?

I read it a bit, then I got bored and started reading stories, which I want to finish first before continuing with Yonsei.
2 x
2019 resolution words learned: 195 / 1000
Dana in Korea: 3 / 15
Yonsei Reading 2: 1 / 40
Once upon a time in Korea: 9 / 23
The restaurant of the family that hates reading: 11 / 123

Bunnychu
Yellow Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:01 am

Christi wrote:That reminds me, I still haven't finished Yonsei Reading 2, oops :lol:
Really should get to it. Have you learned a lot from it?

I read it a bit, then I got bored and started reading stories, which I want to finish first before continuing with Yonsei.

I enjoyed reading Yonsei 2 but I can't say I learned much from it because I already knew the words they introduced. I think it strengthened my understanding of the words though. At the moment I'm studying with Yonsei 3 and I encounter a few unknown words while improving my comprehension. :D
0 x

Bunnychu
Yellow Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:34 am

Topik.jpg
Topik.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 111 times

I got these 2 books as a gift :mrgreen: and starting this month I will start preparing for Topik II. I'm thinking of taking the exam next year in April or May depending on my skill at the time. Until then I need to work hard.
3 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (beginner)

Postby Christi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:47 pm

How's the Topik preparation going?

I recently discovered that there will also be a Topik in my country (and possibly even my city!), so got to wondering if I should take it and aim for level 3 in November. Not sure how to study for it though. I got Topik in 30 days intermedite version (which I won't do in 30 days, and will put off for a while), Topik writing (a weak point of mine), KGIU intermediate and some casual books (Yonsei reading 2 and 3, comics etc).

Tbh, at this moment I think I'm nowhere near level 3. Haven't tried any mock exams yet, but my listening and writing skills don't seem very good and while I do know something like 2200 words, I don't think they are words that will appear on the tests (formal and about things like politics, economics etc). And I can't spend hrs or studying per day.

There's almost a year before the test though, so I hope it's doable at my snail's pace. Sorry if I took over your log, just wanted to get your opinion since you have advanced so quickly!
0 x
2019 resolution words learned: 195 / 1000
Dana in Korea: 3 / 15
Yonsei Reading 2: 1 / 40
Once upon a time in Korea: 9 / 23
The restaurant of the family that hates reading: 11 / 123

Bunnychu
Yellow Belt

Postby Bunnychu » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:19 am

Christi wrote:How's the Topik preparation going?

My Topik preparation is going well but a bit slower than I initially thought. Work is busy and I come home very tired so I don't dedicate as much time as before to studying, but I try to do something everyday.

Christi wrote:I recently discovered that there will also be a Topik in my country (and possibly even my city!), so got to wondering if I should take it and aim for level 3 in November. Not sure how to study for it though. I got Topik in 30 days intermedite version (which I won't do in 30 days, and will put off for a while), Topik writing (a weak point of mine), KGIU intermediate and some casual books (Yonsei reading 2 and 3, comics etc).

Tbh, at this moment I think I'm nowhere near level 3. Haven't tried any mock exams yet, but my listening and writing skills don't seem very good and while I do know something like 2200 words, I don't think they are words that will appear on the tests (formal and about things like politics, economics etc). And I can't spend hrs or studying per day.

There's almost a year before the test though, so I hope it's doable at my snail's pace. Sorry if I took over your log, just wanted to get your opinion since you have advanced so quickly!

That's really nice that Topik will be held in your country. You should definitely go for it because it pushes you and it's helpful to have something to strive for. From the mock-up tests that I've done I've seen that understanding the meaning of a hanja will help you a lot. What I do is every time I encounter an unknown word I look at the hanja meaning too, not necessarily memorizing the character, just the meaning. I remember words quicker because I know what their individual syllables mean. Also preparing for the writing part is important, many people overlook that. You can do it! 파이팅!!!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”