Veni, vidi, vici GER,ITA and Japanese

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Veni, vidi, vici GER,ITA and Japanese

Postby Ccaesar » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 am

Thank you very much, Morgana!
Today I feel inspired to plan my moves, as that's half the battle. I've tried Anki a few times, but being a bit too much of a perfectionist and it being rather energy consuming to make the cards and double check audio ecc.. I am going to go ahead with Quizlet which I have used since my French teacher in college introduced us to it.

I intend on adding words that I come across, personally I would prefer to do it in context, but I am not quite sure how to create a card that does it, or how to add cards that make sense without adding a translation. I get how one might make a deck of prepositions and fill in the gaps, but what I don't know is what to do about nouns or verbs. I am thinking of finding vocabulary from books used in studies, since my favourite genre isn't that "popular" in Italy, fantasy books.

For now I'll be focusing on especially Italian and a bit on German.
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:28 am

I saw a youtube video yesterday explaining what to do with Quizlet for phrases... The solution was so simple that I didn't think of it. Add the word in one field, the next row of fields the word used in the phrase... :lol:
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:57 pm

I am a bit curious. I have seen these progress bars below people's profiles. How does one add those?
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:49 pm

BBCode request: progress bars

Go to User Control Panel|Profile|Edit Signature and add your code.

Example:

Code: Select all

Cookies eaten [progress= ]16/25[/progress]

...will look like this:
Cookies eaten : 16 / 25 (if you've eaten 16 out of the 25 in the box ;) )
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:47 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:BBCode request: progress bars

Go to User Control Panel|Profile|Edit Signature and add your code.

Example:

Code: Select all

Cookies eaten [progress= ]16/25[/progress]

...will look like this:
Cookies eaten : 16 / 25 (if you've eaten 16 out of the 25 in the box ;) )

Thank you very much, Jeff! :D :D

Finally I have holidays and immediately my motivaiton for learning returned. I will try to go about it the smart way I've spent a lot of time trying to get hiragana and katakana right (with long breaks in between). Let's say I have a not too beautiful handwriting and I keep forgetting several of them, would a flash card app, be a better approach? I have Assimil Japanese with ease which I intend on using. Perhaps with the translation method back and forth, or adding phrases to quizlet.. You know planing is half the battle. My only problem with quizlet in regards to Japanese is that it doesn't always choose the right pronunciation of kanji. How do you guys fix that?
1 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:01 pm

Ccaesar wrote:Let's say I have a not too beautiful handwriting and I keep forgetting several of them, would a flash card app, be a better approach?

I use Anki for studying kanji, and I have it set up so that I can draw the kanji right onto my touch screen.

Anki has about 8 million apps, so you can really set it up to do whatever you want.

Ccaesar wrote:My only problem with quizlet in regards to Japanese is that it doesn't always choose the right pronunciation of kanji. How do you guys fix that?

I generally speaking would not rely on any computer reading of Japanese unless it's an application that has been specifically built to correctly parse Japanese. Much better to do this manually, than to rely on a computer.
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:54 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice!

In general + Japanese
I've finally gotten back into language learning! Currently, I decided to go non-tec and make small goals. To practice 7 hiragana daily, and everytime I start the next 7 I practice the last 7 from the previously session. In order to avoid "blocking" myself from continuing I am not going for perfection, but accepting the fact that my handwriting is not that of an artist. Once I have finished the 48 hiragana I will move on to the 48 katakana and lastly (or perhaps beforehand I have yet to decide) I will resume going through Japanese with ease.

Italian

Today I am planing how to go ahead with my Italian, my main language, I just finished my courses at university and have to find some literature to read for pleasure rather than "I have to read a book during the holidays", at the same time I have started a language tandem and plan on rehearsing vocabulary islands and adding newly acquired phrases to either quizlet or anki. Anki might be the best, I read that some learners get the audio for words and phrases from teachers, perhaps that'd be the right way to go ahead.

In addition to that I am thinking about making a deck based on the book "le preposizioni" I read that someone else on the forum is doing the same thing. I plan on adding perhaps 1-3 phrases a day to avoid a burnout, a few steps a day still gets you to the top of the mountain after all!

German:
I will start listening to the radio and perhaps reading a few articles on die Zeit to reactive my skills.

Do you have any comments, or ideas, perhaps recommendations? I'd be happy to hear them! :D
2 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:30 pm

Update.
I managed to practice most hiragana until I got very busy with well... everything non language learning related...
Yesterday I started working more structured on Italian. I found a book based on everyday topics structured into realistic dialogues. I find the words and phrases I don't know and add them into anki. I make a recall and reversed one for the entire phrase (If I can find sound I add it). Then I make a cloze card with the preposition that might follow the verb that I am using or using the expression I want to learn. Lastly I also add a "type in answer" answer card to make sure that the word/verb + prep / expression is activated. I decided to keep it down to 2-4 words a day to not burn out.

Lo scontrino e il resto were the first I learnt from the following example:

"Ecco. Il suo scontrino e il suo resto"

Currently I have paused my other projects, and I do stuff when I feel motivated.
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Ccaesar wrote:I found a book based on everyday topics structured into realistic dialogues.

What is the name of the book?
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:33 pm

It's this one. I bought the kindle version.
https://www.amazon.com/Conversational-I ... 223&sr=8-1
0 x

Return to “Language logs”