Veni, vidi, vici GER,ITA and Japanese

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Veni, vidi, vici GER,ITA and Japanese

Postby Ccaesar » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:05 pm

[ENG]Hello everyone, finally after ages of procastrinating creating a profile on the new forum, I decided to actually do it. :D
Lately I have been wanting to get back into actually learning activily, however, due to having a lot of stuff to do for university, working and writing my bachelor degree's thesis I have little energy left.

Although, a few days ago I decided to "re-start" my Japanese language learning adventure, I ended up watching videos on youtube on a channel named "Japanese" in one year, which resparkled my interest for anki. 8-) As a result I searched this forum, and googled, coming to the conclusion the usage and/or like of Anki varies quite a bit. Personally I find the principle fascinating and useful, because I often end up taking a lot of notes I never use (unless I have to write a paper on it).
Afterwards I downloaded anki, added a few addons for Japanese, managed to mess up the card format from "Japanese in one year"/Modifided version of fluent in one year, and got annoyed by having to realise that setting up Anki for me is like Tarzan composing an opera. :?:

If anyone is interested in sharing their anki advice with me I would be very grateful.
[ITA] Ciao a tutto, finalmente mi sono convinto a creare un conto sul forum. È da lungo che vorrei ricominciare a migliorare le mie lingue attivamente, però a cause dell'università, il lavoro e la mia tesi triennale. Questo mi ha reso completamente stanco senza nessun'energia.

Ma qualche giorno fa mi sono deciso di ricominciare con l'apprendimento del giapponese. Mi trovai su youtube vedendo i video su un canale chiamato "Japanese in one year". Il processo mi ha dato l'energia per cominciare con il progetto e con lo scopo di farlo ho installato Anki, provandolo senza successo. Non ne sono riuscito a fare le carte giuste e ben formate. Mi sentivo come Tarzan se avrebbe composto un'opera.

[DE] To be continue - heute bin ich zu faul um diesen Teil meines Log anzufangen. :lol:
[DE v2]
Hallo alle zusammen. Endlich nach Langem vermochte ich es der Prokastration zu entfliehen, und habe damit diesen Konto hergestellt.
Es ist schon lange her, dass ich meine Sprachen wieder "Aktiv" lernen möchte, was ich nicht gemacht habe wegen des Energiemangels, da ich immer viel zu tun habe an der Universität, an der Arbeit und meiner Bachelorarbeit. Plötzlich fand ich diese Videoreihe auf Youtube in einem Kanal Namens "Japanese in one year" was meine Interesse für Anki wieder geweckt hat. Nach ein bisschen Suchem in Netz wurde es deutlich, dass man entweder "pro" od. "kontra" Anki ist. Meiner Meinung nach ist Anki faszinierend, weil ich häufig Notizen schreibe, die ich nie wieder besuche (nur wenn ich irgendeine Arbeit darüber schreiben soll).
Nachdem habe ich Anki heruntergeladen, einige Erweiterungen installiert, und erfolgreich das Format der Karten verkorkst.
Es war als ob ich Tarzan wäre, der ein Operastück geschrieben hätte.
3 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Veni, vidi, vici GER,ITA and Japanese

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:08 pm

[ENG] Update 1 :D
Today I did a translation for my translation course from Danish to Italian, after which I did a quick lesson of Japanese with Ease by assimil.
Later today I intend to make two decks on Quizlet(since I haven't set up anki properly), 1) for the substantives (where I replace the English words, with the Danish eqvivalents) and a second one where I use all of them in the phrases from the course book. I think this is more fun than currently translating the lessons with intervals, also less timeconsuming(requires less time management), however, once I have the time I do intend on doing that since it worked wonders for my Italian back when I used the Italian with ease course. :geek:
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:57 am

Morgana wrote:Wyner has some instructions about using Anki on his website, as well as several tutorials, including one specifically about the revised Japanese Model Deck. I've used some of his articles about setting up the ear trainer decks using his model ear trainer deck, they were straightforward. Hope the links are helpful. Good luck in any case. And remember, you can always uninstall+reinstall. I think Anki backs up every time you close the desktop client (check first!), so you shouldn't lose any work you've done with the decks, though I'm not sure if importing backups will import card format, too.

Thank you very much, Morgana! I'll have a look at it and play a bit around with anki, thank you :D
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:18 am

Time for an update and some proper goals:
I began this week becoming ill and am still recovering, I hope to begin studying properly again next week, since my energy reserves are very low. :lol:

Once I do begin a new I intend to do the following:
Japanese: Do an assimil lesson at least every 2nd day. Add the individual words to Anki (with sound from forvo) and the sentences to Quizlet - because it automatically adds the pronunciation so I don't have to figure out how to get that.

Italian: Do my exams, and perhaps a bit of reading I.e. newspapers. Currently I am doing 45 ECTS points which is rather time consuming.

German: Reading newspaper and books- I know that it only improves my passive knowledge, but currently I have limited time at my disposal.
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:40 pm

Hello everyone, I am back for the time being :D
I managed to finish 5 out of 6 exams, and I will have my final exam will be next week.
Today I have been wondering all day, how to get properly started with my project. I downloaded audacity, to get audio files for my anki. (That's one point of me liking Quizlet it automatically adds decent sound). I understand Anki's folder system and that one can set it up, so once a card is generated it automatically adds other cards "i.e. I add a cloze-card" and it automatically as a "type in the answer card".

My biggest concerns are:
Getting the translation wrong or misunderstanding something and thus fossiling mistakes.
I am very unsure how to add grammar cards (if your opinion is vocab over grammar, and literature over linguistics, please do not advocate the uselessness of learning grammar and SRS, I strongly disagree on reading literature as a way of mastering the language, since I have seen countless cases where overliterate students could receive an A in a literature class, without being able to construct a simple phrase correctly in the given language. ;)

What are your tactics of understanding a word completely? Context is always being mentioned, but when the context is only enough to get a "gist" of the meaning.

Also does anyone know of any good collocation dictionaries for Italian and German?

Kind regards, to everyone :D :D
1 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:41 am

Hello everyone here comes an update.
I have now finished all my exams and have taken to language learning actively again. The last few days I shadowed 5 assimil lessons of Japanese, and today I added another lesson (finished 10 mins ago), I listened to German radio whilst enjoying a cup of coffee and I just installed an italian audiobook on my phone to listen to whilst on the go. All in all a productive two days! :D :D

Also I ended up watching some videos about the language "scots" on youtube, I found it rather interesting! Perhaps Scots or Gaelic will be my next language? Who knows 8-) :D
1 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Update:
I intended to have spent a few weeks learning actively by now, but simply had to put it on pause after some long lasting exams, right now I want to do some language learning, but the energy just sn't there... So I hope that if I don't do it for a while the energy will come back. Rather annoying, but there's not much else to do :)
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:38 pm

I couldn't get myself to study the other day so I started browsing youtube for songs in Italian, German and Japanese and I came across this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2Ryji_9Js

Who said learning Japanese couldn't be catchy as a song? :D :lol:
1 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:09 am

Hello everyone here's a brief update.
Due to having suffered a mild concussion and post symptoms my language learning has been nigh zero, and as of now I will slowly start doing things again, as for now I will practice drawing hiragana and katakana.
1 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:48 pm

Hello everyone.
Sadly I am still having some issues after my concussion, but I am slowly recovering.
Japanese is paused for now since I am using most of my energy on my studies, internship and main language, Italian. (and the various Netflix series).
It is weird being tired after things that were energizing before such as going out with a few friends to practice languages, I can be enjoying a conversation and suddenly my energy level goes from 80 % to 35 %.
I hope to start learning again ASAP, it is a struggle to stop oneself from chasing after one of your "romance languages" (in this case Japanese :D).
Apart from that, nothing new, I started listening to la prima pagina on my way to university and work. Only passivly though, I find it difficult to concentrate on the topic for longer periods of time.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”