Veni, vidi, vici GER,ITA and Japanese

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Veni, vidi, vici GER,ITA and Japanese

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:26 am

Update 25-07-2020

German:
Nothing done
Cause: lack of time and energy

Italian:
Nothing done
Cause: same as above

Japanese:
practiced a radical to three a day and doing Assimil more or less daily, but in various "deepth"

I remember a scene from The last Samurai where the protagonist is impressed that they rise in the morning and dedicate all their time to mastery of their desired art. I wish I could muster the energy like that and plan, but for now things are too chaotic for me to plan much ahead... It's frustrating

Anki:
I keep messing about with the card formates to find the cards that work for me. Sometimes simplicity is the way. I tried to make grammar exercise cards that were so context bound, I had to see the answer to know what I was asking myself to do. Instead I know state a question to myself I.e.
What are the usages of the particle は 
For words/collocations/expressions I am trying out making only two cards 1 with the word, reading, sound, and a picture if it makes sense + a kanji diagram. I try to imagine how I would write it in hand before looking at the diagramme.
Next I make a production card (type in the answer) based on translation or a picture. And if I can find it--- sound. Finding audio is the most problematic thing for now, forvo doesn't have everything and getting a file into anki takes half a minute or so, so it becomes a hastle.
3 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:46 am

Update:
I got another busy period and my language learning has suffered.
I did anki until a week ago, so I did review what I didn't do for 8 days of Assimil.
I am currently down to just practicing katakana. I was irritated that they just wouldn't stick, so I am on a mission to get them fully imprinted in my memory. I write them all, every single day.

For my other languages, I watched some movies in Italian.

I have been thinking a lot about reading more, but after having spent years analysing what is considered literature by the academic world, I no longer have the motivation to do so. I mainly get practical books now, dispite wanting nothing more than to practice and improve my languages. I feel like I need to make it easier somehow, but I am not sure how.
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:52 am

Ccaesar wrote: I mainly get practical books now, despite wanting nothing more than to practice and improve my languages. I feel like I need to make it easier somehow, but I am not sure how.
Can you please give an example of what you mean by practical books?
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:03 am

DaveAgain wrote:
Ccaesar wrote: I mainly get practical books now, despite wanting nothing more than to practice and improve my languages. I feel like I need to make it easier somehow, but I am not sure how.
Can you please give an example of what you mean by practical books?

Well asked!
-- Grammar, history, how to x, course books for instance "Deep work" and "atomic habits".
3 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Ccaesar wrote:"Deep work" and "atomic habits".
If you enjoy these, take a look at Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg. Similar material, but Fogg has the resources of his Stanford University Behavior Design Lab to study and refine what's truly effective for the majority of people working through his program. He's also a very readable writer, and far more self-effacing, despite his credentials, than self-promoters like Newport or Clear (not that they don't have useful stuff in the mix, their egos just bother me).
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:39 pm

So, my last semester at university has begun. Therefore language learning by itself is on a hold, I have some complicated classes I am trying to get decent at + figuring out what kind of notes are best.

Besides, my two months progresss stopped, I just ran out of initiative. Extremely irritating. I am not sure where exactly it goes wrong.
One main issue is never being able to plan a routine, because my everyday is hectic and very changable.
Two: I constantly want to do what works best for me, but I am not sure what does, so I spent a large amount of time reading books on habits, learning, languages and watching youtube videos. But mostly I get the impression it's "we know of these methods" you try figuring out how to do them and if they work. I like having a do this and this manual for such things... Some would find it crazy, but I like knowing "how to do it" instead of being told a way I should try to do it.
Thirdly, I am often tired and though I made my Japanese books easily accessible and my anki folder system easier, my energi after studying is gone.

Also, minecraft just got fun again....
2 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:57 pm

Update:
1) I finished my master's!
2) I am struggling with inflammation in my arms due to a workout injury)
3) I started working more structured with my Japanese. I do assimil sort of daily and add most/or what I find useful to anki.
I made recognition + recall and a translation card (to make the phrase/word active and not just passiv).
4) I aim to be conversational by the end of the year
5) I want to work on my Italian and German, but as of yet I can't really find any contect to "digust" that appeals to me.
6) I found out two principes from atomic habits work best for me in order to keep the learning going 1) make it easy/attractive. By this I mean getting to the action should be easy (I.e. anki card format and where to find sound etc). 2) make it obvious. Again making the action easily accesible.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”