Veni, vidi, vici GER,ITA and Japanese

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian
Polish
Latin

Re: Veni, vidi, vici GER,ITA and Japanese

Postby StringerBell » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:48 pm

Ccaesar wrote:I found a book based on everyday topics structured into realistic dialogues.

What is the name of the book?
0 x
Italian: Read 5,000 pages : 1735 / 5000
Italian: Write 50,000 words : 7030 / 50000
Polish: Read 5,000 pages : 159 / 5000
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Ccaesar
Yellow Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:33 pm

It's this one. I bought the kindle version.
https://www.amazon.com/Conversational-I ... 223&sr=8-1
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 9 / 48
Kanji : 9 / 2000

Ccaesar
Yellow Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:01 pm

New year new me as we (don't) all say!
I've been very busy with exams and had a complete lack of energy for most of the month. In the past two weeks I have finally gotten back into language learning (I didn't want to jinx it by writing too soon about it haha).
I was inspired by two things, first of all another log on the forum which showed just how small, but still useful goals can be and a video by Luca Lampariello speaking about how he approached Japanese and looking back at mistakes and telling how one should try to fix those.

I've gotten back into exercising (good)
I've become better at accepting mistakes and that I do not need every single new word or phrase I come across (at least when it comes to Japanese). This was a much needed pill to swallow.
In my main languages I feel a lack of energy when it comes to sitting down and learning about the language. I love using it, I love talking to friends and communicating and I am fan of grammar and linguistics, but It feels overwhelming to work structured and organised on improving areas of those languages..

I only just finished watching a video that recommended reading novels and then listening to the audiobook versions afterwards to get both the words written and pronounced. I get the idea, but first of all it's expensive. It's time consuming and I sort of lost the motivation for reading novels thanks to having to constantly making literature analysis for the past many years. My favourite genre is fantasy, but it has a lot of not very applicable or useful vocabulary for everyday use.
I guess I would like to simple sit down with a book that's structured for me to reach a certain level and come across topics that are needed because the energy required to plan and create it myself I no longer have or I have been going at it all wrong.

For example I like the idea of anki and those things that I have made cards for stick, but it is a time and energy consuming task and I am always in doubt about the quality of the card and wheather the audio I got is enough, if my way of making cards is good or bad.

Recently I have been considering makijng only grammar cards to improve that area of expertise and since the phrases are often authentic and correct by nature I don't have to worry about that part.
0 x

Ccaesar
Yellow Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:07 pm

New decade, new year, new (not so new goals).

I have finally felt like writing a structured log entry. A few weeks ago thanks to finding inspiration in LunaMoonsilver's which shows a lot of small stepstones taking you one step further up the mountain of the project everyday, and reading an article by Luca Lampariello reflecting upon his own adventure which Japanese I finally managed to get kick-started again.
I started out by going to the gyn, when I returned home I would sit down and practice a few hiragana by hand, first repeating the previous ones and doing as many as I felt like on the given day. Now I am finishing the "B's and p's". After which I do a little work in the Japanese for dummies book and in addition to that I got back into anki, not anything big, just a little bit a day. That's a win and I had to write about it! To further establish the habit and promote health I reward myself with a bite of dark chocolate after having finished my learning session.

I am trying to implement a bit of Italian and German too, recently I am going to try and refresh the adjective declinations in German which have gotten a little rusty. I made an anki type the word card following the question:" Which words are followed by the 5-e declination. (der,die, das), dieser, aller, jeder, jener, derjenige, derselbe, welcher... Next I am thinking of making an occlusion card or a cloze type for the other tables.
2 x

Ccaesar
Yellow Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:44 pm

I am curious, how does the rest of you memorize tables? Like the 3 declination tables in German? I can remember most of them, but I like having them revised, which anki would do for me, but I am not sure if occlusion is the right way to go. Would typing it out be?
What do you guys do?
0 x

Return to “Language logs”