How does a language log work?

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

How does a language log work?

Postby astromule » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:34 pm

Hi! I've never written one before. What should I put in it? The TV-series that I'm watching? Changes that I make to my Anki cards?

Would it be best to write just in one place something like a "language journey", to describe the steps that I've been following for all languages? For example, I keep screen captures of the different Anki cards that I've using, and why some type of cards I don't use anymore (that is, why didn't they work for me).

Thanks in advance.

Astromule.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: How does a language log works?

Postby rdearman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:51 pm

Really it us up to you. It just allows you to document your journey and let others see what works or doesn't work for you. It let's you get some feedback or advice from your readers.

I look forward to reading your log.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Φιλόσοφος
Yellow Belt
Languages: Native: Spanish
Speaks: English
Reads: French, German, Italian
Studies: a couple dozen more

Postby Φιλόσοφος » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Hmmm... I've never had one but I might start one here.
2 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:13 pm

Anything that has some relation to your language learning works. I like to write about books, articles, or films I've enjoyed, aspects of the language itself that intrigue me, and techniques or difficulties I have encountered. Other people use their logs to keep count of the minutes they have studied, or of their progress through courses.
2 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:19 pm

astromule wrote:Hi! I've never written one before. What should I put in it? The TV-series that I'm watching? Changes that I make to my Anki cards?

Would it be best to write just in one place something like a "language journey", to describe the steps that I've been following for all languages? For example, I keep screen captures of the different Anki cards that I've using, and why some type of cards I don't use anymore (that is, why didn't they work for me).

These are all great things to put in your log!

It's a good place to share your successes and your frustrations, to talk about cool books and TV that you've discovered, or to show how your favorite language learning techniques work. Some people post short texts in their L2, or translate song lyrics. Really, it's totally up to you. :-)

I really enjoy following the logs of my friends, and my fellow students of French.
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:51 am

Yeah, whatever you want really, look at other logs for examples. Mine just tends to be "here are the things I've been doing recently and the things I'm planning to do in the near future", with an emphasis on experiences of speaking my languages with people as well as the usual books, films, courses, learning methods.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:18 pm

Yes, it is really your place, so it's up to you. Some people are of the sterner kind and "just" briefly list things they are doing, some log their times spent on learning, some add reviews of courses, books, tv series, some share their personal struggles and successes in various parts of language learning, some post travel diaries. It really varies.
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:07 pm

garyb wrote:Yeah, whatever you want really, look at other logs for examples. Mine just tends to be "here are the things I've been doing recently and the things I'm planning to do in the near future", with an emphasis on experiences of speaking my languages with people as well as the usual books, films, courses, learning methods.

At least you have future plans. My log only consists of what new vocabs I have learned and how I associate them with other languages to memorize them.
1 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Return to “Language logs”