Some suomi

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jaeger
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (int), Finnish (new)

Some suomi

Postby jaeger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:21 pm

I don't know what this is going to be for yet, but I'm learning Finnish, so chances are good that some will be found here. Perhaps this could be a honeypot to attract Finnish speakers; suggestions welcome. I've read a load of other logs on this forum and this one is going to be significantly more chilled out, so get some slippers and make yourself comfortable.

Things I do:
  • Anki reviews
  • Chat to Finnish friends, mostly via text
  • Sometimes play video games with Finns with voice
  • Ask Finns to explain things to me and provide me with useful sentences
  • Listen to Finnish, mostly music and podcasts on commute
  • Think about Finnish

Things I don't do and probably should:
  • YLE Selkouutiset/other reading
  • Watch Finnish TV

Things you'll find in this log:
  • Incredible Finnish skills
  • Any knowledge of grammar
  • Regular updates
  • Inspirational progress
  • Bad jokes

I recently discovered clozemaster through this forum so I'll give that a go. I found out about Glossika a while ago and found out I'm not the only one looking for the old course, but nobody seems to be able to find it. I'm considering at least giving the new trial a go now that I have a little more free time.

Mun kirjoittaminen ja puhuminen on huono, mutta voin ymmärtää paljon. Siis voitte paskapostata täällä suomen kieltessä, mutta ne täytyvät olla hauskaa. Epähauskaa postia on tiukasti kielletty tämän ketjussa. Sori, en tee säännöt.

Mein Deutsch ist also nicht ätzend und ihr könnt ruhig drauf hier posten, aber ich arbeite nicht aktiv daran und bin mir sicher dass ich viele Fehler machen würde. Die korrigiere ich leider nicht und der Rost bleibt ;)
3 x

jaeger
White Belt

Re: Some suomi

Postby jaeger » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:57 pm

I did about a hundred in clozemaster. It seems pretty useful. Kiitos kun luitte.

Bones wrote:Tervetuloa! Sinä kirjoitit ihan ymmärrettävää suomea. Hyvää työtä!

Kiitos paljon. Kirjoittaminen on mulle vielä hieman vaikeaa eli vaatii aikaa, mutta voin tehdä sen. Ehkä enemmän kuin ajattelet...

Bones wrote:Some is also a word in contemporary Finnish

;)
0 x

jaeger
White Belt

Postby jaeger » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:31 pm

I did some more clozemaster. It's pretty easy right now, seems good for some moderately active exposure. I try not to look at the multiple choice and figure it out first. The interface is pretty cluttered.

At least I can drink the coffee now.
0 x

jaeger
White Belt

Postby jaeger » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:10 am

I quite like clozemaster as it's so easy. Doing 20-100 or so every day (or so). Press 1 through 4 and space. Anki reviews have been a bit of a drag for some reason; recently I haven't had a lot of energy so it's been a slog. Doing these first thing in the morning seems to work better though. Still listening to podcasts on commute, chatting with Finns. I'm often able to roughly understand longer things my friends say, which is cool. The language is feeling a lot better and words that took effort before come a lot quicker. Not finnished yet, but things are progressing nicely

One problem is that Finns keep giving me example sentences that are filled with vicious lies, such as claims that coffee is superior to tea. I may have to introduce a valhe tag
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 pm

jaeger wrote:One problem is that Finns keep giving me example sentences that are filled with vicious lies, such as claims that coffee is superior to tea. I may have to introduce a valhe tag

The nerve of them! Superior to tea indeed!
1 x

jaeger
White Belt

Postby jaeger » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:02 am

Right? The nerve of these people.

Speaking of which, I spent something like 8-10 hours drowning in Finnish yesterday. Maybe 1-2 hours transcribing some things and the rest playing video games with Finns. It was an awful nightmare, and I learned the word "turpa". Understood a bunch of things, didn't understand most of it, will subject myself to this again soon
0 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:27 am

Mä luulin et tän langan idea oli kirjottaa "some-suomea" (some = sosiaalinen media).

Mä juon aamusin kahvia ja iltasin teetä. Tykkään molemmista. Kumpaankaan ei kyllä kuulu laittaa maitoa eikä sokeria.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”