Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM's TAC 2015 crazy? French course mission

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:22 am

The month of October: 72hrs 34min

Hours on courses: 25hrs 27min
Audio only courses (commutes): 14hrs 52min
Flashcards: 14hrs 35min
Podcasts/Radio: 5hrs 43min
Extensive reading: 5hrs 31min
Télévision française : 3hrs 20min
Études médicales pour la profession d'infirmière : 3hrs 4min

Moyenne pour le mois d'octobre: 2hrs 20min

Changements d'avis avec mon emploi du temps pour l'apprentissage du français : TROP!!
PM

Throw a fat cat in your face before your life becomes a candid disgrace.
I'm sayin' that an' I ain't even from this place.
Ain't got no face, no scar, car, scars, car, my face ain't scarred, I've got a car, but who cares coz who we are and who we think we are so far is so far from who we really are,
peace up.
0 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:30 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:The month of October: 72hrs 34min

Hours on courses: 25hrs 27min
Audio only courses (commutes): 14hrs 52min
Flashcards: 14hrs 35min
Podcasts/Radio: 5hrs 43min
Extensive reading: 5hrs 31min
Télévision française : 3hrs 20min
Études médicales pour la profession d'infirmière : 3hrs 4min

Moyenne pour le mois d'octobre: 2hrs 20min

Changements d'avis avec mon emploi du temps pour l'apprentissage du français : TROP!!
PM

Throw a fat cat in your face before your life becomes a candid disgrace.
I'm sayin' that an' I ain't even from this place.
Ain't got no face, no scar, car, scars, car, my face ain't scarred, I've got a car, but who cares coz who we are and who we think we are so far is so far from who we really are,
peace up.

Great Job PM - awesome as always!!! ;)
1 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:21 am

I've been a little lazy lately,

Work has been killing me, it feels like it's killing my soul. I'm really not enjoying it much at all lately. I honestly feel very trapped lately. Why I ever chose to do nursing I sometimes wonder. My wife suggested I go back to university and study languages. This is something I have looked at a lot in the past and had a thread on HTLAL about it. My final decision was it was a diversion and a waste of time. But now I've been reconsidering as ANU the best uni in the country is renowned for their language department. Anyway then I come full circle again and think how much it will send me and my family back financially as we'd have to move interstate, survive and next to no money and so on and so forth, and it makes me wonder how will I ever get to France and live the dream. Okay, I know, France is not the be all and end all, and believe me watching their news most days I don't like what is unfolding there but I can be rest-assured it's happening here too- modern day slavery in short and the purse strings are tightening globally. Anyway so then I think, looks like it's back to the daily grind and trying to figure out how the hell to get to France with my family, get my non EU non French qualifications recognised in France (what a nightmare) only to work in worse conditions in a job I still don't like! Very depressing I know, sorry for anyone reading, but I'm just feeling a tad depressed and trapped at the moment. Let's hope I come back with a new attitude and a breath of fresh air next week...

PM, the self-imposed prisoner in exile in is homeland. Perhaps I'm the one that needs to wake up
4 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:58 pm

I don't think the problem is your job.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:07 pm

Is there a related field which you can work in France which doesn't require a "requalification", for example "Nursing Administrator" (I'm completely guessing here) which you could get a job doing in France while either re-skilling, or re-qualifying?
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:17 pm

Well, you can always do a CELTA course, it takes like 2 months and gives you an ESL teaching qualification. + you are a native speaker. I've been considering it a few times and I'd go for it, if I had those six or eight weeks to spare. But I still wouldn't be a native speaker which would limit my options severely. I know, such a life style doesn't include that much immersion but it is still a way to get a job abroad. Many countries are still hungry for native speakers-ESL teachers. So hungry even the bad ones are being welcome very warmly. And it is a much lower investment than studying at the university again. You might find a job in France (or in some of the African countries, if you are more of an adventurer) or you might find a job elsewhere and add another language and culture to your list. The south european countries have problems with English teaching and could be hiring (it was sad and funny at the same time to meet monolingual Spanish university students), the central europe is quite a good place to live, even though the wages are significantly lower than in Germany or France, and the English teachers are in demand and so on.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:36 pm

smallwhite wrote:I don't think the problem is your job.

Although a rather elusive comment I'll attempt to reply. If you're implying attitude I totally get your point and oftentimes I need to take care to enjoy life in the present as opposed to being fixated on a non-existant future which I'm trying to force into existence. Yet even on days i enjoy my job (and I always enjoy speaking with patients) I know it's not where I belong ultimately. It's taught me a hell of a lot which I value but i'm not passionate about it and am generally appalled with a global health care system ultimately run by many who would rather line their pockets while doing harm (under the guise of doing good) than save lives or help people.

Additionally, many people would come to similar conclusions on work satisfaction considering it is often stated that nursing (in this country- and this is one of the better ones for nursing) has one of or the highest burn-out rates. I don't wonder why- it's very hard work. I am often completely run off my feet for an entire shift and still am not fast enough. The system is all about time and money, not actually caring. Individuals like myself do care but are powerless to change a system, especially when many believe what they do is helping but are ignorant to how the system is operating behind the picture they see on the floor.

I am disgruntled but I actually do care.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:52 pm

rdearman wrote:Is there a related field which you can work in France which doesn't require a "requalification", for example "Nursing Administrator" (I'm completely guessing here) which you could get a job doing in France while either re-skilling, or re-qualifying?

It is a good point and I did look into working as an aide-soignant while bringing my nursing into line with the French system. People used to do this but it's no longer permitted. I can ultimately work in France as a nurse but it will take a lot of messing around (i need to work in another EU country first for France to deem my qualifications somewhat equivalent- training and exams would follow). Its not an easy path and I'm just not sure I want to fight for something I'm "disgruntled" about in the first place. Still it is a good suggestion and I appreciate you having mentioned it, and will keep my mind open to 'lateral possibilities'.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:02 pm

Cavesa wrote:Well, you can always do a CELTA course, it takes like 2 months and gives you an ESL teaching qualification. + you are a native speaker. I've been considering it a few times and I'd go for it, if I had those six or eight weeks to spare. But I still wouldn't be a native speaker which would limit my options severely. I know, such a life style doesn't include that much immersion but it is still a way to get a job abroad. Many countries are still hungry for native speakers-ESL teachers. So hungry even the bad ones are being welcome very warmly. And it is a much lower investment than studying at the university again. You might find a job in France (or in some of the African countries, if you are more of an adventurer) or you might find a job elsewhere and add another language and culture to your list. The south european countries have problems with English teaching and could be hiring (it was sad and funny at the same time to meet monolingual Spanish university students), the central europe is quite a good place to live, even though the wages are significantly lower than in Germany or France, and the English teachers are in demand and so on.

Also a wise suggestion. I have considered this and will continue to do so. I need to find more info and seriously look into the finer details. I did look into the Teachers Assistant program that Sctroyenne spoke of but i am too old. But there are likely other options so I'll check it out again. Thanks again Cavesa
0 x

sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Location: Montreal, QC (moved from the SF Bay Area living my dream!)
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=767

Postby sctroyenne » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:55 pm

If you would be interested in doing a language degree and have interest outside of French and other popular languages there could be options. In the USA, for example, there are scholarships offered by the federal government for "critical" languages through the Critical Language Scholarship Program for diplomatic and defensive needs. Something like that could exist where you are and be useful if you'd be interested in working for the government, in international institutions (or the military - I could see why you wouldn't want to...).

If learning languages has given you an interest in how language works in general and if you have interest in tech, linguistic studies can lead to jobs in the tech field these days.

And outside of languages and tech you could look into other area of the health field since that will be guaranteed to grow. Public health, big data connected to health (which I could see becoming huge). Bringing languages back - getting into health policies for serving immigrant communities. Just throwing stuff out there. :)
4 x

Return to “Language logs”