PM’s French Adventures in the Matrix

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (just started in 2020)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12510

Re: PM’s French Adventures in the Matrix

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:39 am

iguanamon wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:...If you do choose vegetarianism/veganism, hats off for thinking/considering what you put in your body and your impact on nature, I’m not out to despise you. Just don’t forget the fat!

Ever heard of Avocados?!

Abdolutely ;) Macadamia and Brazil nuts too!

iguanamon wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:For the written part, I’ll have to know when to keep my opinion to myself ;)

Please don't be your own worst enemy, PM! Examiners are human. You want them to judge your command of French, not your content. ;) Anyway, best of luck to you, bòn chans, zanmi mwen !

Tnx for your concern, iguanamon. I’m not silly enough to be opinionated during this exam where it won’t help me. One thing I’ve always been good at with assignments and exams is leaving my ego behind and giving the examiners exactly what they ask for. My earlier comments were in jest. In the oral component, my opinions will serve me well, as I’m to debate a topic and also present my ideas. Elsewhere, I shall comply, to the letter! Et merci, mon ami ! ;)
1 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:38 am

When will the exam take place? I can't wait to read about your experience, about how difficult/easy it was etc.

More than anything it’s a personal challenge. I vowed to never introduce other languages until i reached the lofty plateau of an advanced level in my chosen language, the evidence could be no better than a DALF C2 certification, and of course it would likely help potential European job prospects, should I pursue that (i’m planning to, but planning and ‘doing’ are 2 different things).

That's a good reason, indeed.

How many eyes have you in the back of your head, let alone the side? I know what I’m sayin’ when I’m sayin’ it, but who are you when you’re you?

Sorry, I don't get this... What do you mean by that? :D
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (just started in 2020)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:31 am

Gustav Aschenbach wrote:
PeterMollenburh wrote: How many eyes have you in the back of your head, let alone the side? I know what I’m sayin’ when I’m sayin’ it, but who are you when you’re you?

Sorry, I don't get this... What do you mean by that? :D

Nothing to ‘get’ here. It’s just me being deliberately ridiculous for the hell of it.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am

Not overly sure (again) what to write here, so I’ll just see what eventuates...

Oh, in October I did 65 hours of French.

In October for the first time in a long time I started listening to some English language music again. On the odd occasion I do watch a movie in English with my wife, but English (language) music I had blocked out for the most part for a number of years with a few snippets here and there. I was hell bent on eliminating English wherever I could. Yet I used to be crazy into music when younger. Anyway lately I think as a stress release and distraction I’ve gone back to listening to some of my good old favourites - too many of them now dead (Michael Jackson, Heavy D, Notorious BIG, Tupac). Where did the time go? How did the 90’s get so far back?

I don’t think this is a bad thing, as I think it’s a sign of me being more at ease that my French isn’t going anywhere. I’ve also taken to reading a bit more English lately. Not a ton, just the odd Wikipedia article when i know the French equivalents don’t provide as much detail. I think some of this is rebellion under pressure and probably not overly great for my exam prep. On the eve of the exam (in a week from now, I will have completed it), if anything I feel my ability to write has dropped off as I’m just not immersed to the extent I should be. I am really confused by this exam in many ways, i’ve had such an odd lead up to it. I could honestly do ok or honestly fail miserably. I’ve been so stressed about the various writing formats, then i realised, while they are important, what’s more important is register, flow, grammatical structure, use of connectors and knowing had to manipulate the language to suit the audience. That scares me too. I do not feel up to the task, but of course I could be wrong.

When I have intended to focus on my exam books I’ve either avoided French altogether or done a 180 and gone off and read a (French) book or some of my French mag’s, since the thought of delving into the exam books was not something I really felt drawn to. So, I really am under prepared. Fuck it, whatever. Can’t change that much this late in the game.

So, changes coming. In a week I will have sat and passed or failed the C2. In two weeks I will be on night shift - I HATE night shift. In three weeks I’ll be finished at work altogether and moving house (again). Somewhere in there I’m returning to Dutch study. In a month or so I could have a new job. I’m looking forward to the changes and getting some stability, sanity, peace and predictable structure back.
11 x

lavengro
Green Belt
Languages: ENGLISH (N); FRENCH (A2 - conservatively self-estimated); SPANISH (A1 - recklessly self-asserted); ITALIAN (non parlo italiano - yet - but getting closer); ITHKUIL (only in my nightmares); GERMAN (bestimmt - currently A0); JAPANESE (against my better judgment - currently barely A0); INDONESIAN? (I couldn't possibly...)

Postby lavengro » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Bonne chance Peter! Though with your hard work, I do not believe you actually need luck.
PeterMollenburg wrote:... in October I did 65 hours of French.
Well done!
PeterMollenburg wrote:....
So, changes coming. In a week I will have sat and passed ... the C2.
There ya go, I fixed it for you!
4 x
"I talk a lot. So I've learned to just tune myself out."
- Kelly Kapoor

Italian : 193 / 330
German : 106 / 605
French : 80 / 780
Turkish : 31 / 335
Japanese : 18 / 460
Heisig : 375 / 2200

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 pm

lavengro wrote:Bonne chance Peter! Though with your hard work, I do not believe you actually need luck.
PeterMollenburg wrote:... in October I did 65 hours of French.
Well done!
PeterMollenburg wrote:....
So, changes coming. In a week I will have sat and passed ... the C2.
There ya go, I fixed it for you!

Thanks, lavengro! ;)
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), Russian (И), Japanese/Chinese (Zzz)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:37 pm

A une semaine de l'exam, tu ne peux plus rien faire pour améliorer ton français, donc détends-toi, écoute un peu ton corps pour arriver frais et dispo le jour de l'examen, et advienne que pourra. Quel que soit le résultat, tu n'auras pas démérité, sois-en sûr.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:01 am

Arnaud wrote:A une semaine de l'exam, tu ne peux plus rien faire pour améliorer ton français, donc détends-toi, écoute un peu ton corps pour arriver frais et dispo le jour de l'examen, et advienne que pourra. Quel que soit le résultat, tu n'auras pas démérité, sois-en sûr.

Oui, tu as raison, Arnaud... peut-être. Sois je ne fais rien, soi je finis tous les manuels de français que je n’ai pas encore fini .... même plus (je vais en acheter plus) ! Pas de sommeil, pas de nourriture, rien du tout sauf le français !!! Certes, je dois aller au travail, mais même là-bas les patients, les médecins les autres infirmiers, ils parleront tous le français. Sinon, je ne les soignerai pas, ou ils n’auront plus de travail ! :lol:

D’accord, d’accord, je suis un tout petit peu ridicule... mais pas beaucoup, même pas un tout petit peu. Je ne suis pas ridicule ! Qui me l’as dit, hein ? C’était toi, Arnaud ?! :x

Avec le peu de temps qu’il me reste, je vais essayer d’écouter le français, lire, écrire, comprendre l’examen, mais surtout, comme tu me l’as déjà dit, j’écouterai mon corps.... j’ai besoin d’énergie pour être à la hauteur ! Merci, Arnaud ;)
2 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Yellow Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:42 am

Si j'étais à ta place, j'apprendrais par coeur quelques expressions et connecteurs un peu plus soutenus (p.ex. "il est de notoriété publique que...", "bon gré mal gré", ... si ça colle avec le registre, bien sûr), histoire d'impressionner les examinateurs. Et j'utiliserais autant d'idiotismes que possible dans la partie écrite.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Gustav Aschenbach wrote:Si j'étais à ta place, j'apprendrais par coeur quelques expressions et connecteurs un peu plus soutenus (p.ex. "il est de notoriété publique que...", "bon gré mal gré", ... si ça colle avec le registre, bien sûr), histoire d'impressionner les examinateurs. Et j'utiliserais autant d'idiotismes que possible dans la partie écrite.

Bonne idée, mais...
Une chose que j’ai déjà fait, c’était de mémoriser presque 60 connecteurs pour l’écrit et plus de 70 pour l’oral, si j’essai d’en mémoriser plus je compliquerai les choses ! Merci, néanmoins ;)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”