Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PeterMollenburg's French courses mission

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:42 am

Fortheo wrote:Also, I share a similar mindset to you when it comes to finances and what not, so I was wondering what books have you found most interesting?

I've actually been planning to make drastic changes in my lifestyle for a long time now (think living nearly completely off the grid, and as independent as I can comfortably manage) but it's one of those things that seems so simple, yet so impossible at the same time.

Anyways, keep up the good work!

Yes it seems you do indeed share some of my sentiments for getting off the bitter sweet sugar train of societal BS.

Hmmm suggested the book Early Retirement Extreme by Jacob Lund Fisker. It was relatively cheap as a kindle book. So far I'm liking the concept despite parts of the book being a little dry, but I guess you can't expect Hollywood (thankfully) from such a book. Although I'm in the early parts of the book and yet to really get to the meaty bits. Here's an interview with the author in French:
http://esprit-riche.com/interview-de-jacob-lund-fisker-early-retirement-extreme/
And here's a forum inspired by the author's concepts in which numerous people are out to become financially independent within generally within a personally stipulated time frame which you might find intriguing:
http://forum.earlyretirementextreme.com/viewforum.php?f=9

I've got a number of other books on my short-term to read list, including these French titles:
Gagner de l'argent avec un blog by Jean Baptiste Viet a strongly rated book on earning money out of blogging, which mind you is no easy task from what i've read online.
Guide de l'investissement immobilier : pour ceux qui n'y connaissent rien by Nayle Dewitte for some insights on the French property scene.
Réfléchissez et devenez riche by Napoleon Hill. It's a translation of Think and Grow Rich, quite a well known title you may know/may have read. I bought this title so that I didn't have to read the English version which i've owned for some years but have never read. In some ways the concept of getting rich I feel clashes with my concept of taking care of the earth, so I'm curious to see how this book will challenge my own sentiments.

I also own some English titles recently purchased as kindle books as well:
A Complete Guide to Property Investment in France by Gerry Fitzgerald,
Essential Questions to Ask When: Buying a House in France by Mark Sampson,
How to Buy Overseas Property for Profit and Lifestyle by J.R. Bakerson,
International House Sitting by Nat Smith and Jodie Thompson,
and here's an unrelated Québecois website on house sitting : http://detourlocal.com/house-sitting-au-quebec-pas-facile-constat-astuces/
The Suitcase Entrepreneur by Natalie Sisson,
How To Buy Real Estate Overseas by Kathleen Peddicord,
The French Property Toolkit by Mark Igoe,
Buying and Renovating a House in France by Bill and Sarah Giles,
Escape to France by Steenie Harvey,
and The French Property Nightmare by Peter Lee - detailing tax issues and so on.

The list above really is heavy on the French property dream and yet I certainly aim to balance this out with a number of English language/Australian titles

You probably already know that I'm very keen on the idea of Earthships as well- http://earthship.com this is the ultimate in my opinion. Living completely off grid. There are some documentaries on Youtube I still aim to watch on their construction. Ben fogle and similar shows (search him on Youtube) in which people disconnect from the world and go off grid. Ironically, not being overly social in the teaditional sense (alcohol holds very little interest for me and I see it as another socially engineered project) I still think human contact is important.

The whole education (and indoctrination) system bothers me. When i drive to work on the freeway and see all the cars around me heading in the same direction, trained like the good little sheep we are to do or job, go home, put our feet up, watch BS TV, eat food that is destroying our bodies and the environment in cars that burn fossil fuels supplied by corporations that make the puppet masters wealthier, which destroy the Earth and we are made to feel guilty for it so that future taxes can be introduced and we think it's to save the planet (what BS). I'm all for less pollution and less harm to the earth but global warming is an elaborate lie to fool humanity further into being enslaved into paying a mixture of illegal and rediculous taxes to further enslave us. Weather modification centres apparently do exist. Sometimes I do wonder if we are living in the Truman Show on a grander scale crossed with the Matrix, a little bit of Pleasantville, increasingly more so "Gattica" and 1984 by George Orwell and some other titles. Conforming is much more of a pressure nowadays than most realise. As soon as you break the mould it gets tricky to live in this society. And lately France isn't looking too nice a place to settle, post the latest attacks you could be put under house arrest just on 'suspicious' behaviour. Must conform, must believe what we are 'told' because it's 'true'!. We are limited by the choices we are offered and far too accepting of those in power and of the options supplied to us and we all wonder why we are getting sicker but are too ignorant, busy, cool, self-involved or apathetic to find out the truth. Peer pressure is omnipresent, and the media loves to spread lies mixed with half-truths. The question is how much money do we need and where do we want to go off grid, and where are we 'allowed' to do so. It complicates matters when you want to live in at least 2 different countries. A couple of interesting links:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/12/03/world-class-journlaist-spills-the-beans-admits-mainstream-media-is-completely-fake/

http://culture-of-peace.info/books/history/information.html

A nice concept, for a small price, haven't subscribed myself, is it worth it? I don't know:
https://www.offgridworld.com/off-grid-living-magazine/

So I have a varied collection of titles to get me started and I want to read many books relevant to the Australian property scene as well. Part of me wonders though that even if I do everything right whether the world tomorrow will not support what I'm trying to accomplish. Still it's worth trying I think. In the end though I'm probably tormenting my own soul like the majority humanity and have become far too self involved like most of us and ought to just learn to find peace in the now as Eckhart Tolle points out. This is truly a powerful thing- and it is this I feel that the puppet masters are trying to really distract us from. Where is that holy grail indeed. You well know it, and it's not in France, nor necessarily in an earthship, still earthships are healthy indeed and French does sound very smooth indeed :)
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Mohave
Orange Belt
Languages: English (Native),
French (enjoying and still learning the language)
Spanish (Beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=766

Postby Mohave » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:25 am

Here's a few more that I have personally used at one time and recommend.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/

https://www.bogleheads.org
4 x
Spanish Motivation: Dec 2018 - Costa Rica
Spanish Pimsleur 3: 6 / 30 Assimil: 56 / 100
Spanish Super Challenge Books: 2 / 50 Movies: 0 / 100
French Super Challenge Books: 24 / 100 Movies: 22 / 100

My Goodreads

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:58 am

Unfortunately an annoying end to my 2 weeks holidays with some big issues with my car. In trying to play Mr Fix it I've not had as much time for language learning this week as I would've liked, and I feel like despite wanting to improve my financial situation I feel like I'm on a sinking ship in the middle of the pacific trying to reach France on maxed out credit cards (not actually the case) and have very little idea how to get there all the while nearly everyone is discouraging I even try to make it there. Then suddenly I see some ships passing by with Norwegian flags and I'm considering jumping overboard (or simply swimming out of the sinking ship) and swimming for the nearest one. Will I make it? Not if they can't understand me (these are 17th century Norwegians I'm talking about that NEED me to speak Norwegian for my possible success)....

Yes I've had time to research the pro's and cons of learning Norwegian lately in my 'down time' instead of doing things I should've been doing. Ah well, I need some sanity right? I'm already insane enough it seems. Reading a few articles lately on nursing in different countries around the world, Norway looks pretty good, not quite as good as Australia, but unfortunately or fotunately much better than France. I was under the impression nursing in France was doable but it's looking more disappointing by the day. And of course many of you know that I don't even really like my work, but I DO WANT TO GET TO EUROPE DAMMIT. Nurses wage level based on parity of purching power is really very low indeed in France. Australia ranks near the top and Norway a slot or two below France. In the end I really do NOT know what to do with myself. All I do know is I want to keep learning French and i'm very very very close to taking on Norwegian as my once very unlikely now very likely third language.

Man am I mixed up!
0 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:45 am

PeterMollenburg wrote: Reading a few articles lately on nursing in different countries around the world, Norway looks pretty good, not quite as good as Australia, but unfortunately or fotunately much better than France. I was under the impression nursing in France was doable but it's looking more disappointing by the day. And of course many of you know that I don't even really like my work, but I DO WANT TO GET TO EUROPE DAMMIT.

I don't know about this ... Have you been to Norway? I haven't, but I've been to Sweden a couple times for non-tourist purposes. France, it is not. And it's not like you'll be going to Paris for the weekends, so ... what's the point?

So France doesn't work but you want to keep learning French. Have you considered Montreal? They speak French there. The old part of Montreal is like 400 years old and looks European. I haven't been but know people who have, said it was great. I imagine the prices and wages are similar to Australia so at least you wouldn't be going backwards ... either financially or linguistically. And if you want to spend your vacation in France, it's only a seven hour flight (or thereabouts).

Just a thought!
2 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:42 am

Xmmm wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote: Reading a few articles lately on nursing in different countries around the world, Norway looks pretty good, not quite as good as Australia, but unfortunately or fotunately much better than France. I was under the impression nursing in France was doable but it's looking more disappointing by the day. And of course many of you know that I don't even really like my work, but I DO WANT TO GET TO EUROPE DAMMIT.

I don't know about this ... Have you been to Norway? I haven't, but I've been to Sweden a couple times for non-tourist purposes. France, it is not. And it's not like you'll be going to Paris for the weekends, so ... what's the point?

So France doesn't work but you want to keep learning French. Have you considered Montreal? They speak French there. The old part of Montreal is like 400 years old and looks European. I haven't been but know people who have, said it was great. I imagine the prices and wages are similar to Australia so at least you wouldn't be going backwards ... either financially or linguistically. And if you want to spend your vacation in France, it's only a seven hour flight (or thereabouts).

Just a thought!

Thanks Xmmm,

I have considered it and it is inviting but I guess I'd put other European countries before choosing Québec even with the French presence. I really am mixed up. I'm thinking now if I did Norwegian plus one other European language (as well as French) I might have more of a chance of getting in somewhere in Europe. Not sure which language it would be. I feel very self cinscious of my dilemmas and feel like a broken record as I am often finding (creating?) mental quandries involving my future. That seems to be me, at least in recent times.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:25 am

A few thoughts and sharing...

I've felt like i've been under a lot of stress lately (relative to myself not to others), and with a breakdown of my car which I rely on heavily transport, and some seriously heavy unavoidable bills coming up life's been a bit much lately I've felt. To top it off I've been immensely at odds with my profession and where I live now and in the near future.

My car is sorted thanks to my genius father. Bills- well that's not going to kill me/us, and we'll get by but it has meant some things have been set back due to these expenses.

I had some good 'communication sessions' with my wife over my/our situation. She was very openly honest that living overseas scares her and she'd be ok with simply not doing it, but... is happy to support me. In the end we came to an agreement that suits us both as best we can. We will aim in 5 years to have property overseas, most likely in a French speaking country, more than likely actually in France. We will continue to work here. We will aim to visit for a minimum of 3 months a year. This way we keep in close contact with our family here which is very important for children. This is where we stand, my wife and I can't guarantee we'll be happy with the outcome but we're happy with attempting this goal. Obviously as mentioned before to achieve these goals there needs to be astute focus on finances here for the coming years.

My wife stated and I agreed that I need to learn to be happy with where I am now as well as working on 'the goal' for the future. She advised returning to "Le pouvoir du moment présent aka The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle" to help find that. I think it's wise advice and I've inherently known this or wouldn't have bought the book. Still buying and reading are not doing, so I need to take it in and learn to apply it. This also applies to my job- I need to suck it up I think until I have more financial liberty to change direction in most likely years to come. My job will provide a means to an end and I'll need to work on my attitude with it. Don't get me wrong I'm quite good (professional) at work and do not let my underlying feelings allow for sloppy work. I do however think there are serious issues throughout society including the medical system and my beliefs on that are unlikely to change just because I learn to change my attitude and approach to things.

My wife agreed she needs to really aim to learn a decent amount of French to be able to enjoy participating in the culture. It's not something she loaths (learning French), but it's not exactly something she loves like I do either, but something nevertheless she is content with aiming to do.

So I'm still thinking 2016 will be a French only year and I will continue to aim to improve my French and sit the exams. What comes after French I just don't know yet but it is still one of these (it's nice to dream): German, Spanish, Dutch, Norwegian, Luxembourgish... and i'm sure many more will make make appearances.

I've been procrastinating later in this year for whatever reasons a little more than I should and aim to solidly get back on track as much as possible with Christmas coming up and on a mission in 2016.

FRY A FRY!
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:55 pm

as a courtesy... I'm now on a long-term leave of absence. Good luck in the new year!
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Re: PM à la recherche (en français) de la sortie de la caverne

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:23 am

La fin de 2015 :

décembre : 52 heures, 26 minutes d'études de la langue française

2015 : 836 heures et 29 minutes d'études de la langue française.

Les catégories de ces études en 2015 :
Les cours : 256 heures, 32 minutes
Les cours audio : 219 hrs, 21min
Les baladodiffusions et la radio : 23hrs, 13min
La télé : 141hrs, 09min
Flashcards : 89hrs, 28min
Vocabulaire seulement : 1hr, 15min
Lecture intensive : 19hrs, 54min
Lecture extensive : 57hrs, 12min
Les études médicales (pour la profession d'infirmière) : 7hrs, 37min
Les réunions (meetups) : 1hr, 15min
La musique (en étudiant les paroles) : 1hr
Un échange vocale de : 23min
Un échange d'écriture de : 20min

Moyen/jour : 2 heures, 28 minutes
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Re: PM à la recherche (en français) de la sortie de la caverne - 2016 log

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:26 pm

2016 log officially starts here

I won't mention any goals or plans, best to write what I've done after I've done it, as I change my plan far too often. Clearly though, improving my French is the main objective.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Re: PM à la recherche (en français) de la sortie de la caverne - 2016 log

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:58 am

Hier soir je suis allé à la maison d'un nouveau :? edit: "nouvel" ami français. Je l'ai rencontré il y a une semaine et quand je lui ai parlé en français (et avec sa femme un peu aussi), il m'a invité de nous nous retrouver chez un café pour boire un verre dans une atmosphère détendue où je pourrai pratiquer ma langue préférée et sa langue maternelle... ..mais il a décidé que ce serait plus facile chez lui.... On a parlé beaucoup ; de nous-même, de sports, de la politique, même, et du temps parce qu'il a fait 41 ou 42 degrés celsius hier. C'était très bonne, l'expérience pour mon français. J'y ai resté quelques heures en fait- plus ou moins deux heures en parlant français avec lui et sa femme aussi après qu'elle était arrivée, et ensuite en anglais avec des autres amis à eux qui viennent d'Allemagne. C'était une soirée merveilleuse.
7 x

Return to “Language logs”