Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: PM’s French Adventures in the Matrix

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:32 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:As you probably know, there's no standardised form of Norwegian, but rather a collection of dialects and it's encouraged that each person speak their dialect with others not a standard form. Not all dialects use tone. That said, the Oslo dialect, which does use tone, is most often the one focused on within course materials, but not always. I'd rather learn this than not.

From a Swedish perspective I'd say that most Norwegian dialects/accents that I have heard use tones - but not necessarily the same ones. As in Swedish, how they are manifested will vary a lot, and it's that feature which makes an accent stand out.

Again, from a Swedish perspective, we're used to hearing a number of dialects/accents every day, IRL and in media. Many of them would have very different tone curves, but say, pitch#2 is still pitch#2 even if it rises/falls-then-rises/whatever.
5 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:36 am

As far as I know, Finnmark is the only region with dialects without tones.
3 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:34 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Xenops wrote:But PM, you must understand: I want a French in Action course, but for Norwegian. :lol: Or at least a Genki equivalent, with its tons of exercises and (good) audio content.

No idea what Genki is, but an FIA style Norwegian course would be nice. Still, have you looked at the Norsk, nordmenn og Norge: https://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/1847.htm which can be purchased from University of Wisconsin Press? It arrived for me a few weeks back (parts 1 and 2). The books (2 for each level) are quite hefty and chock full of Norwegian. The audio companion I believe doesn't exist for the second level, but for the first level it totals 9.5 hours of audio, which is a good deal compared to other courses (examples: Assimil = 4 hrs, Hippocrene Beginner's Norwegian = 1hr 51 min, Learn Norwegian by Sverre Klouman = 4 hrs 4 min, Pimsleur level 1 = almost 15 hrs!). Only Pimsleur is more on that short list, but the style of Pimsleur is a slow pace and it's audio only. Anyway, this review from an Amazon reviewer is worth a read:

Could you mix this with The Mystery of Nils and Norsk, nordmenn og Norge? Maybe then you'd have something approaching FIA... uhh, sort of? :?

Hey PM, just letting you know that I purchased Norsk, nordmenn og Norge, and I'm really liking it. :D I started chapter 3 today. The audio is good, and I like how they give different examples/exercises for each grammar point.

Thank you for the recommendation. :mrgreen:
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:18 am

Xenops wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Xenops wrote:But PM, you must understand: I want a French in Action course, but for Norwegian. :lol: Or at least a Genki equivalent, with its tons of exercises and (good) audio content.

No idea what Genki is, but an FIA style Norwegian course would be nice. Still, have you looked at the Norsk, nordmenn og Norge: https://uwpress.wisc.edu/books/1847.htm which can be purchased from University of Wisconsin Press? It arrived for me a few weeks back (parts 1 and 2). The books (2 for each level) are quite hefty and chock full of Norwegian. The audio companion I believe doesn't exist for the second level, but for the first level it totals 9.5 hours of audio, which is a good deal compared to other courses (examples: Assimil = 4 hrs, Hippocrene Beginner's Norwegian = 1hr 51 min, Learn Norwegian by Sverre Klouman = 4 hrs 4 min, Pimsleur level 1 = almost 15 hrs!). Only Pimsleur is more on that short list, but the style of Pimsleur is a slow pace and it's audio only. Anyway, this review from an Amazon reviewer is worth a read:

Could you mix this with The Mystery of Nils and Norsk, nordmenn og Norge? Maybe then you'd have something approaching FIA... uhh, sort of? :?

Hey PM, just letting you know that I purchased Norsk, nordmenn og Norge, and I'm really liking it. :D I started chapter 3 today. The audio is good, and I like how they give different examples/exercises for each grammar point.

Thank you for the recommendation. :mrgreen:

Ah, good to hear, Xenops! Glad I could assist. Lately I've been slowly working through The Mystery of Nils and Learn Norwegian, myself, but definitely have all the Norsk, nordmenn og Norge materials ready to go at a later stage. There is a ton of audio for level 1, so if you like it, you'll have plenty to keep you occupied! I don't believe there is any audio for the second level, but if anyone knows otherwise, I'd be happy to be corrected. I get a sense that level 2 was never meant to have audio.

In the meantime, I've been collecting more Norwegian resources (textbooks, a decent grammar reference, dictionaries), but due to time constraints and French and Dutch studies I'm doing around one hour a day of Norwegian currently. Slowly but surely.
5 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:13 am

It seems that any small fragments of dreams I was clutching to of the possibility of living some day in France - small fragments due to the Covid-19 destruction and restrictions - have now been shattered....

My wife and I homeschool our children. From 2021 it will be outlawed in France except in absolute exceptional (health) circumstances. My favourite (not) leader strikes again. Yay, equality and homogeny for all!

It utterly baffles me that people (and I do not give a **** what their 'position' is) can just make a decision that effects the lives of others and the people must comply. It's utter madness. The decision for ALL homeschooled children was made on the background of the rising threat of Islamic Separatism/-tists. What bullshit. This decision was made to compel ppl to be indoctrinated with government ideology from as early as possible. Way to go France, such a democracy :evil:

(No it's not possible for us to send our children to school in France because of another law passed in 2017 which came into effect in Jan 2018, which I'd prefer not to discuss here). Ever since this current person took office, the country has taken a big continual downhill slide.

This might even cut out the idea I was toying with - New Caledonia, given they are still under French rule. And people wonder why I'm so cynical. Life is easy if you comply, hey? Play the game, you get rewarded. Ignorance is bliss.

Edit:
From what I understand this is unconstitutional and what said leader is attempting to do is make out that this is a done deal and by making it rampant in the media gives the word the appearnce of being as good as the law. Well no, this isn't law, despite the dicatator-like declaration. I tell you what, living close to Melbourne, I'm getting a little ********* fed up with dicatators. We let them get their way, there will be more dicatotor declarations to come. It's about time people stood up for their rights and in doing so don't have their protests twisted against them and used as an excuse to come down harder on them or change laws to suit those who dictate. Problem - reaction - solution. I'm tired of problems presented via the propaganda machine and I didn't vote for your solutions.
5 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat May 15, 2021 10:24 pm

An update on the Norwegian mission... (and update on my French and Dutch 'situation'... this is copied from my Norwegian 1000+ hour log)

I stopped with Norwegian three months back. I had too much on my plate and there was unfinished business I aimed to attend to language wise (French), but subsequently have been questioning that too, although the plan there (with French) was to get seriously down to business from July onwards, so there's still a possibility. It certainly wasn't a matter of laziness, and language 'use' has continued for Dutch and French, but while life has always been getting gradually busier for me, during the last couple of months it has reached extreme levels that won't (fingers crossed) continue. I knew it was coming so I decided to put everything on hold including active language study of all languages. The only reason I could get on the forum from time to time was because work (like today) was sometimes the quietest part of my day, while other times work was just as insane as the rest of my day if not worse.

I aim to get back to Norwegian in future, but this 1000 hour mission for 2021 has been a drastic fail. I returned to French and Dutch maintenance for a few months with an aim to go on another French C2 exam mission (from July), but I remain hesitant about this as well. So I'm currently undecided about which language(s) to focus on currently for active study, while I continue to use French and Dutch throughout my days, reading to the kids, watching series (mainly in French) and some audio (podcasts etc) in both languages. Norwegian has all but disappeared from my routine except for the occasional series with English subtitles (Beforeigners) for some down time. I've been listening to much more English lately too out of necessity not because I'm tired of learning languages, but I hope to be able to do away with this down the track or get the ratio tipped back in the language learning favour.
6 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed May 26, 2021 2:02 pm

Okay, I have a plan.

It's old but new. Basically I'm going to attempt to do what I've failed to do consistently several times before. I will get past this high intermediate plateau in French and attempt the Dalf C2 by sticking to routines for a decently lengthy piece of time for them to take effect in a cumulative fashion, do things I don't want to do (for example, writing, doing advanced -not beginner- course content that's appropriate), use re-worked ideas and renewed focus on similar well-designed but poorly applied study schedules I've come up with before.

My one serious out clause is this: I reserve the right to abandon this if deemed necessary for survival.

•Each day I'll study for 3 three hours at my desk and attempt further language exposure in downtime at work, commuting, reading to the kids, some casual TV etc.
• I'll use a tutor where/when affordable (not listed in study schedule below).
• I'll limit important English media content and eliminate useless English content.
• I'll report back monthly to this log.
• I'll focus on improving and then maintaining good excellent health.
• I'll book to sit the exam (C2 or C1 first then C2 later) in late November 2021.
• This plan begins from July 1, 2021 as I've a lot on my plate right now.
• Up to July 1st I'll utilise as much downtime as possible like a warm up to the real mission. This downtime will be where tasks around the house are not affected.

The study schedule:
• Rotating blocks of study, one hour each
• Each hour contains 15 min of intensive reading/vocabulary work and then the 45 min of the dedicated activity I'm up to in the rotating schedule.
• I might do every second month pushing one skill only for every study period each day and then revert back to the varied routine (as shown below) for the months in between.

--------------------------------------------------------
PAR ROULEMENT :
-------
15 minutes de :
-------
La lecture intensive/ vocabulaire
• Think French
• Bien-dire
----------------------------
45 minutes de :
-------
L'écriture
• L'écriture créative
• Préparation aux examens du Dalf
• Production écrite : niv. C1 / C2
• Dalf C2 Tests complets corrigés

Rappels / Conseils !
• Utilise les mots de Bien-dire et Think
French en jetant un coup d'œil dans
ces ressources.
• Employez les mots des manuels
avancés en y jetant un coup d'œil.
• Employez les mots des manuels
pour le Dalf en y jetant un coup d'œil.
----------------------------------------------
15 minutes de :
-------
• Think French
• Bien-dire
45 minutes de :
-------
Lire énormément
• Livres
• Journaux
• Magazines
15 minutes de :
-------
• Think French
• Bien-dire
45 minutes de :
-------
Regarder
• Intensivement
• À grande échelle
15 minutes de :
-------
• Think French
• Bien-dire
45 minutes de :
-------
Les manuels
• Manuels avancés
• Préparation aux examens du Dalf
• abc Dalf C1/C2
• Production écrite : niv. C1 / C2
• Le Dalf 100% Réussite
• Réussir le Dalf niveaux C1 et C2
• Dalf C2 Tests complets corrigés
17 x

Language patzer
Yellow Belt
Languages: Greek native, English C2, French B2

Postby Language patzer » Sat May 29, 2021 7:34 am

Yes! Ihope things go well. Do give us some updates, you are motivating others as well (me that is :lol: ).

Good luck with the test, merde mon ami! ;)
2 x
Cours de Langue et de Civilisation Francaises
Book 1, finished

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat May 29, 2021 2:01 pm

Language patzer wrote:Yes! Ihope things go well. Do give us some updates, you are motivating others as well (me that is :lol: ).

Good luck with the test, merde mon ami! ;)

Danke schön mein freund! Désolé si ma grammaire allemande n'est pas parfaite. Eh oui, je laisserai quelques commentaires ici de temps en temps, bien sûr !
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sat May 29, 2021 5:00 pm

Bonne chance, Pete! I'm rooting for you as always - you can do this!!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”