Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM's French Target: C1 2018

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:14 am

2 hours of French min/day update

2 hours French/day so far objective achieved.
However - I have not stuck to my routine as planned, and I have not kept my word of not changing my routine. I've constantly been tweaking my routine, and you know what, I'm ok with that. I think it's necessary and all part of the process. It's important not to spread oneself too thin, I agree (ummm, with myself? :? ), but chopping and changing one's routine to fit with one's tastes within the chosen methods or materials isn't so bad. In other words I'm not out redesigning my routine completely, I'm just altering it a little here, a little there, no big deal I think. I haven't kept strictly to my rotating cycle of study hours within my desk study régime. Thing is, had I tried to do so, I would've arguably become insane or not studied, as I simply was out of whack on many a day and didn't have the energy late in the evenings to hit the books. Rather, I hit a good run of Game of Thrones dubbed into French. I've not binge watched much at all in French, at least not with headphones for independent study purposes (as opposed to watching successive episodes of A French Village with my wife a couple years back). It's not been wasted time, so i'm also okay with this.

Dutch
I can't wait any longer. I've decided to introduce an hour of Dutch a day starting today. French is on the long road to C1/C2 now. I get a sense I will take longer than many to reach that objective and we are planning to go to Belgium in a couple of years so I think it's time to introduce Dutch - not just for potential employment purposes, but I've put it off for a looong time, so now the time is right to introduce it for more than one reason.

The rest of my studies/language exposure will remain on French. Thus, one hour of Dutch desk study a day (using course material), the rest of the time will remain devoted to French. Can't do any harm imo, as I feel progress is now almost imperceptible in French, thus one hour allotted to Dutch I think is a wise move and time better spent.

tot de volgende keer!

Minutes in, I'm somewhat concerned I'm not keeping my eyes on the French C1 prize. However, I will justify it in these ways- Provided we do end up in Europe in a couple of years as planned, my French, even if (worst case scenario) it remains in a holding pattern from now until then, it will theoretically improve once i'm in that francophone environment, and I'll have a good deal of Dutch under my belt too. Whereas, were I to continue along the French only path, i'd be likely to be marginally better with French by the time we arrive in Belgium, with Dutch almost a distant memory. I think this is a wise move, but I ought to try very hard with my daily routine to keep my French study hours close to what they are currently. Then, little damage will occur, if any.

Edit: Low and behold, i'm actually now considering whether I divide my time more equally between the two languages... that also wouldn't be damaging to my French, it would slow me down, but would it really be that bad? Questions, questions... Surely I could still gradually advanced towards C1 in French while introducing Dutch, right? :? Didn't I recently just talk rdearman out of doing 2 languages at once? No! I tried to convince him to do both... and then agreed with his plan to only do one being a sound one... dammit, i'm now bloody confused again!!! (Dutch books poised sitting on the desk, ready to pounce on me... or me on them? :? ) A little too much confusion here PM, not good... I'm sooooo predictable!
8 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 am

I have shelved the Dutch books again. It appears there's no way out of this but a French C1 certificate in my hands at the very least, perhaps even a C2.... back to Game of Thrones a.k.a. Le trône de fer...
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:10 pm

I didn't make it to 100 hours of French for this month of July 2017, but I did reach 94 hours and 35 minutes. That's my second best total for any month since I started tracking my French in January 2014. Numbers for the month included:
36hrs and 3 min of French TV, my best ever month for TV, which I used to often avoid doing in bulk, but I now feel is a great tool when not wanting to hit the books,
10hrs 55min extensive reading,
11hrs 17min intensive reading (Bien-dire),
11hrs,37 of audio courses (Glossika),
11hrs,02 of traditional courses (mainly Assimil UF)
5hrs,34 of podcasts (RFI - J. en français facile),
7hrs,40 of Vocabularly learning
and 35 min of an audiobook.

Needless to say, I'm very happy with this month.
16 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish Advanced
Mandarin- Beginner

Postby BOLIO » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:12 pm

You are an excellent example of "Doing the work" which overcomes or exceeds any "style, system or process" in language learning. Hats off to you!
6 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:45 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:I didn't make it to 100 hours of French for this month of July 2017, but I did reach 94 hours and 35 minutes. That's my second best total for any month since I started tracking my French in January 2014. Numbers for the month included:
36hrs and 3 min of French TV, my best ever month for TV, which I used to often avoid doing in bulk, but I now feel is a great tool when not wanting to hit the books,

Those are some impressive numbers, and it looks like your approach is becoming more well rounded.

How are you using Glossika ? Do you find it useful even though you're already at a B2 level? I just assumed my time would be better spent with podcasts at this point.
3 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:54 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:I didn't make it to 100 hours of French for this month of July 2017, but I did reach 94 hours and 35 minutes. That's my second best total for any month since I started tracking my French in January 2014. Numbers for the month included:

What's impressive about this is not the number of hours (come on, PM, when are you going to get serious about French?) ... it's the breakdown.

I've logged a lot of hours also, but I don't subdivide things ... which leads to wild style drifts where I'm doing 100% silent reading for months in a row, followed by months of TV that I'm not really ready for. And I can skip anything (grammar) unpleasant ... always.

What you have is a nice way to maintain a well-balanced diet. Your categories don't work perfectly for me (I don't do podcasts for example), but I'm certainly going to be stealing your general idea ...
6 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Fortheo wrote:

Those are some impressive numbers, and it looks like your approach is becoming more well rounded.

How are you using Glossika ? Do you find it useful even though you're already at a B2 level? I just assumed my time would be better spent with podcasts at this point.

Thanks Fortheo,

Glossika.
First I must say that it annoys me. There are a number of mistakes, which means I am not entirely confident in the program. However, I do like repeating phrases I may not normally construct myself, so it still remains useful.

I divide my audio time roughly in two. That's made up of mainly commutes (driving), shower time- I take long showers and use a bluetooth speaker, and doing some household chores. Half for more authentic audio (if you can label RFI Journal en français facile as authentic) and currently half for Glossika. I'm using the GMS files and focusing on one track at a time not continuing until I can repeat everything correctly or very close (minor errors where I would respond with a different word order or respond somewhat differently yet could've responded in the manner of the recording as an alternative but didn't don't matter).

Generally I make very few errors but its a good way to spend time in which only listening all the time (podcasts) feels too uninvolved. It keeps me thinking, actively considering grammar, vocab and pronunciation. Arguably therefore, it helps with activation. But I remain pissed off with bullshit errors from time to time.

I try to very speedily read through the PDF files of the GMS sentences usually only once for each sentence, as there remains the odd sentence I'm just unsure of what I'm hearing. I do this when I get a chance (once in a blue moon), and it's low priority.

It's not necessary at B2, but it helps me scratch a perfectionist itch while aiding in activation, all the while breaking up my activities.

Still, I'd hesitate to recommend Glossika French to anyone, particularly those below B1, as there are errors in the recordings, in the written phonetic transcriptions and in some of the actual written sentences.
3 x

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Amazing work! You are an inspiration!
1 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:I have shelved the Dutch books again. It appears there's no way out of this but a French C1 certificate in my hands at the very least, perhaps even a C2.... back to Game of Thrones a.k.a. Le trône de fer...

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but have you considered introducing Le néerlandais sans peine? You could work on it for even a half hour per day, making pretty good progress and still be working on French! Also, for an interesting change, if you make vocabulary flashcards use French as the translation side.
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:29 am

jeffers wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I have shelved the Dutch books again. It appears there's no way out of this but a French C1 certificate in my hands at the very least, perhaps even a C2.... back to Game of Thrones a.k.a. Le trône de fer...

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but have you considered introducing Le néerlandais sans peine? You could work on it for even a half hour per day, making pretty good progress and still be working on French! Also, for an interesting change, if you make vocabulary flashcards use French as the translation side.

Hey Jeffers,

I do own the course Le néerlandais sans peine and another Dutch course or two with a French base, but I've made my mind up, for now that is, to continue solely with French. Not to mention, I have a good number of decent Dutch courses with an English base that I can't look past and won't be able to. Still, the idea is sound, and I like the idea of vocab lists/flashcards NL-FR too. Will keep that in mind indeed. Hope your studies are going well Jeffers!
0 x

Return to “Language logs”