Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Pete Mollenburg's Adventures in the Matrix in French

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:21 pm

CompImp wrote:Have you considered something like Learning With Texts for reading ? I put nearly everything into that when i start a new language these days. It's like LinQK but not broken all the time, and free.

Has the added bonus that you can track how many words and phrases you know which can aid motivation ! :)

There was a girl on here a few years back who suddenly disappeared who used it. I can't remember her name but i think she was German and her English was impeccable.

I use Think French digital learning mag which I’d give 8 out of 10, and Bien-dire learning actual paper mag with audio which i absolutely love (10 out of 10). The articles are diverse, the photography/pix are beautiful, and the articles ate graded, meaning there are C1/C2 articles. Sounds too easy? No, these advanced articles are gold mines of advanced vocabulary. At a guess, one article could maybe cover as many rare C-level words, phrases or expressions that might normally take a whole entire book to generate the same kind of advanced vocab list.

Now, LWT I have heard about on numerous occasions and the idea is definitely appealing to me. It’s an excellent suggestion CompImp, and one I will definitely try once there’s more room in my routine. Cheers ;)
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:44 pm

CompImp wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
CompImp wrote:Have you considered something like Learning With Texts for reading ? I put nearly everything into that when i start a new language these days. It's like LinQK but not broken all the time, and free.

Has the added bonus that you can track how many words and phrases you know which can aid motivation ! :)

There was a girl on here a few years back who suddenly disappeared who used it. I can't remember her name but i think she was German and her English was impeccable.

I use Think French digital learning mag which I’d give 8 out of 10, and Bien-dire learning actual paper mag with audio which i absolutely love (10 out of 10). The articles are diverse, the photography/pix are beautiful, and the articles ate graded, meaning there are C1/C2 articles. Sounds too easy? No, these advanced articles are gold mines of advanced vocabulary. At a guess, one article could maybe cover as many rare C-level words, phrases or expressions that might normally take a whole entire book to generate the same kind of advanced vocab list.

Now, LWT I have heard about on numerous occasions and the idea is definitely appealing to me. It’s an excellent suggestion CompImp, and one I will definitely try once there’s more room in my routine. Cheers ;)

Don't be put off by the people who say it's hard to install, either. If you can change a few file names and follow instructions it's a breeze. Well....it was a nightmare on Linux Manjaro, but on Mac/Pc it's easy.

It appeals to my 'collect all the words' nature and i love seeing how many words i've learned in a month/year. It can be a bummer when you import long articles and there are no unknown words, though.

If Anki is your thing (i don't like it) you can export phrases into Anki for srs'ing too.

Sounds good. No, I don’t like Anki much. I will definitely try LWT, however not just yet. 8-)
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:52 pm

rdearman wrote:It is only my opinion, but I think the only way to learn to ride a horse, is to ride a horse. The only way to understand native media is to watch a crap ton of it. So, if you were to evaluate your skills: Reading, Writing, Listening, Speaking, then if listening comprehension is low, you need to take steps to resolve the issue. I have a real problem with grammar and written output, so I'm trying to address this by doing more of it.

I feel personally attacked. :lol:
4 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:20 pm

rdearman wrote:It is only my opinion, but I think the only way to learn to ride a horse, is to ride a horse.

Of course there are those of us who learned to ride a horse but still can't ride a horse. :lol:

2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Re: PM’s Throw a turd over your middle shoulder, on again off again, confused yet committed to deluded FR perfection, uh

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 pm

...just to bump my newly labelled old but same old log, teeming with exciting stuff, umm, like at every angle an’ that, mate, for realio, ya feel?

Heaps of Glossika lately while on much longer than usual commutes. No missed days in the 365 challenge. Saw two wombats, 1 kangaroo and several rabbits on late drive home tonight from a rate date with my wife ;) tnx in-laws! French continues in their presence! :o
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: PM’s Throw a turd over your middle shoulder, on again off again, confused yet committed to deluded FR perfection, uh

Postby Iversen » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:30 pm

With the new title it is definitely a new .. ahem, well, let's call it aroma.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:58 pm

PM, what's a "rate date"? Do I need to schedule one with the wife?
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:00 pm

IronMike wrote:PM, what's a "rate date"? Do I need to schedule one with the wife?

haha! rare date, oops
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:17 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
IronMike wrote:PM, what's a "rate date"? Do I need to schedule one with the wife?

haha! rare date, oops

OMG, how funny! I tried to think of a possible typo, but I kept changing the first letter! I thought maybe being married for 28+ years, I was just out of the loop on the types of dates, and possibly I would learn of a new, cool date type that I could spring on my wife!
2 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:52 am

IronMike wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

haha! rare date, oops

OMG, how funny! I tried to think of a possible typo, but I kept changing the first letter! I thought maybe being married for 28+ years, I was just out of the loop on the types of dates, and possibly I would learn of a new, cool date type that I could spring on my wife!

:D hahaha, very funny! As I’ve aged, not only have I become extremely wise and basically look like I’m still 21, but typos have become more common. Yet, I try to blame my phone, getting annoyed at it for causng typos, often repeating the same typo two or three times in a row :x before I hit the correct letter. This time, I blame the wombats. If I hear of any new interesting date styles, IronMike, I’ll be sure to let you know! ;)
2 x

Return to “Language logs”