Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM’s French Adventures in the Matrix

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:55 am

I paid for the DALF C2 exam, so no backing out now. However, my preparation is going from bad to worse. I’ve been unwell yet again, temp of 38.7 last night. I hope I can pull this together with 24 days left, but I have strong doubts, considering I still don’t even fully comprehend the exam format as I just keep getting interrupted by all kinds of things in life lately.
10 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:54 pm

In all events, good luck with the exam!
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Good luck! I registered for the DALF C2 twice, but I always ended up cancelling the test (without having paid first). But even if you fail, you know what it is like and what to expect. Just out of curiosity and without having read all your log, is there any specific reason why you want to sit for the DALF C2?
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:25 am

Well I’ve been procrastinating at the worst time. I’ve buckled under pressure at the worst time. I’ve been super run down and sick seemingly continuously at the worst time (is there a great time?). I’ve let my concerned mind take a hold and control me, rather than just getting down to action when I have had the time/moments. I’ve had a lot of distractions I could have ignored, and equally many or more I just couldn’t. Both kinds have caught my attention.

With less than two weeks remaining until the exam, I’m somewhat kicking myself for the above reasons, yet part of me is totally letting me off/letting go and saying ‘Give yourself a break, you’ve had a LOT of stuff going on... a LOT!... If you don’t pass, you’re not dead’.

So in all in all, I’m really hoping to get myself together for the remaining time in the lead up to the exam, and somehow make it through = pass. Still, as previously mentioned, and it has continued since, preparation has been very ordinary. Although I have some of the writing techniques for the most part in my brain, filed under, ‘I think I get it’ (but still insufficient practice), I still do not know how to write various other forms at all, forms I’m likely going to need to know how to write for this exam or I’ll botch it up majorly. And yet, can I get motivated? Nope. I have the exam prep. book in front of me and I just can’t get into a good flow.

I’m seriously almost entirely out of steam here, the ship is barely above the water level, sinking fairly swiftly, and I don’t know how deep the water is. There is a chance it’s not deep it all, I’ll step off the ship and walk to the island a hundred meters away and sit the exam without too much trouble. Provided I have the energy and will power, that is. There’s also a chance, that island is a mirage, the water here is an abyss and there’s no saving this ship. Not only that, but the life rafts, could be faulty and without paddles - I haven’t prepared enough to know even where they are, although I have some pretty decent assumptions. Then if I make it ashore, where will my head be at?

Either way, as I’ve said, I’ll still turn up, still sit it. There is value in that. I’ll regroup post exam, pass or fail and I’ll definitely cease solo French activities the very instant the exam is done with.

Of course, as per usual, I draw myself to wanderlust during procrastination sessions. My latest language wanderlust plan, which I will actually attempt goes like this:

First hour of study every day = Dutch

From there on, 30 minute rotations of French, Spanish, French, Norwegian. How far I get depends on available time each day.

French appears twice in the above rotation because, I’m still keen on advancing further, but open to dropping it if it seems like overkill. Spanish and Norwegian are not urgent, if I don’t get to them each day, I’m happy dabbling, to enable a pickup of basic pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar (which for the most part will be revision in Spanish), so that I can introduce those languages through children’s stories to my kids in the coming months. Arabic tempting me still... I don’t think it’s wise to wait any longer to introduce more languages to my eldest before she gets any older, or it will increase the challenge too much, I feel. We can all slowly grow in these languages, unless our path changes and they take pole position where Dutch will sit for now. Bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla (broken record). PeterMollenburg, get a life dude!

Gustav Aschenbach wrote:Good luck! I registered for the DALF C2 twice, but I always ended up cancelling the test (without having paid first). But even if you fail, you know what it is like and what to expect. Just out of curiosity and without having read all your log, is there any specific reason why you want to sit for the DALF C2?

Thank you, Gustav.

More than anything it’s a personal challenge. I vowed to never introduce other languages until i reached the lofty plateau of an advanced level in my chosen language, the evidence could be no better than a DALF C2 certification, and of course it would likely help potential European job prospects, should I pursue that (i’m planning to, but planning and ‘doing’ are 2 different things).

How many eyes have you in the back of your head, let alone the side? I know what I’m sayin’ when I’m sayin’ it, but who are you when you’re you?
7 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:42 pm

I hope for you that the subject won't be "the global warming" :mrgreen:
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Arnaud wrote:I hope for you that the subject won't be "the global warming" :mrgreen:

Oooh, there are plenty of topics for the oral component I’ll really fire up and find plenty of energy to debate/discuss. One of my favourites lately is how much the propaganda machine is pushing the meat is bad for humans BS. The propaganda machine, aka, ‘the matrix’ is definitely in full swing here (media, schools, government, children’s books), has most people scared of cholesterol and fat while people eat pizza’s and burgers and blame meat (not the processed carbs) for the damage inflicted upon their bodies. Fat is good ppl. Yes, eliminating meat will look good (initially), because it’s the combination/presence of fats together with sugars that is destroying us, so try eating your fat, meat etc and ditching the carbs. You’ll have even better results. No more glycation, no more protein destroying sugars, no more constant influx of insulin as you ride sugar waves that are oh so unhealthy for the body and your body fights constantly just to keep you in homeostasis. Throw away your statins with the carbs, eat your fatty steak ppl, but do support a respectful farming industry that treats and feeds their animals in a natural harmonious way. Your purchasing power is your power to change the world, where you put your money is what kind of a world you support. Make a difference with your wallet. If you do choose vegetarianism/veganism, hats off for thinking/considering what you put in your body and your impact on nature, I’m not out to despise you. Just don’t forget the fat!

For the written part, I’ll have to know when to keep my opinion to myself ;)
5 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:25 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:...If you do choose vegetarianism/veganism, hats off for thinking/considering what you put in your body and your impact on nature, I’m not out to despise you. Just don’t forget the fat!

Ever heard of Avocados?!
PeterMollenburg wrote:For the written part, I’ll have to know when to keep my opinion to myself ;)

Please don't be your own worst enemy, PM! Examiners are human. You want them to judge your command of French, not your content. ;) Anyway, best of luck to you, bòn chans, zanmi mwen !
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:39 am

iguanamon wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:...If you do choose vegetarianism/veganism, hats off for thinking/considering what you put in your body and your impact on nature, I’m not out to despise you. Just don’t forget the fat!

Ever heard of Avocados?!

Abdolutely ;) Macadamia and Brazil nuts too!

iguanamon wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:For the written part, I’ll have to know when to keep my opinion to myself ;)

Please don't be your own worst enemy, PM! Examiners are human. You want them to judge your command of French, not your content. ;) Anyway, best of luck to you, bòn chans, zanmi mwen !

Tnx for your concern, iguanamon. I’m not silly enough to be opinionated during this exam where it won’t help me. One thing I’ve always been good at with assignments and exams is leaving my ego behind and giving the examiners exactly what they ask for. My earlier comments were in jest. In the oral component, my opinions will serve me well, as I’m to debate a topic and also present my ideas. Elsewhere, I shall comply, to the letter! Et merci, mon ami ! ;)
1 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:38 am

When will the exam take place? I can't wait to read about your experience, about how difficult/easy it was etc.

More than anything it’s a personal challenge. I vowed to never introduce other languages until i reached the lofty plateau of an advanced level in my chosen language, the evidence could be no better than a DALF C2 certification, and of course it would likely help potential European job prospects, should I pursue that (i’m planning to, but planning and ‘doing’ are 2 different things).

That's a good reason, indeed.

How many eyes have you in the back of your head, let alone the side? I know what I’m sayin’ when I’m sayin’ it, but who are you when you’re you?

Sorry, I don't get this... What do you mean by that? :D
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:31 am

Gustav Aschenbach wrote:
PeterMollenburh wrote: How many eyes have you in the back of your head, let alone the side? I know what I’m sayin’ when I’m sayin’ it, but who are you when you’re you?

Sorry, I don't get this... What do you mean by that? :D

Nothing to ‘get’ here. It’s just me being deliberately ridiculous for the hell of it.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”